Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detroit Wheel problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts
Default Detroit Wheel problem

My damaged rear Detroit wheel is becoming a nightmare as the BMW dealer I left it at has tried to get a new wheel from Jag and a matching silver one is apparently not available. He ordered a new one, it came and was the wrong color. I just thought I would ask for any help here that might be available.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

OM;

Didn't you start a similar thread a while back?

I was afraid of this.

Try John at itelgroup@gmail.com

Or

Steve
SB Wheels
Jaguar Alloy Wheels
T: +44(0)7891 376 829
E: sales@sbwheels.co.uk
W: www.sbwheels.co.uk

There is also this listing on ebay for an exchange of refurbished wheels.

jaguar detroit alloy wheel | eBay

They all source new and refurb wheels, though I know from experience finding silver Detroit's is getting to be tough.

I would check with Steve first since he ships to the US all the time and mention you chatted with me....he won't hold it against you too much. He is also the go to guy for Original Center Wheel Cap Medallions for a good price.

As for not being available from the Dealer here is what Steve wrote me about it last month.

Hi James, to answer your question it is true. The older model division of BBS have been in admistration for over a year now and sopurcing wheels and parts is harder, infact some of the BBS parts/wheels are no longer obtainable direct from BBS.

There have been no older model Jaguar BBS wheels produced for sometime now and all of these are getting harder to source. I have large quantities of the air adaptors, valve assemblies, titanium studs etc in stock (all brand new) as well as the replacement stainless trims that we manufacture, so we will continue to supply these without any difficulty but new wheels and sets are harder to source. I have large quantities of brand new 20inch and 18inch BBS wheels, but these are now coming more irregularly than they used to. Hope this clarifies for you, Regards, Steve

One last note....I have read some pretty bad stories about refurbished wheels being badly done and hiding problems behind the attachment bolts, ie glued on heads instead of threaded, etc.....so unless you get a guarantee with it I would steer away from them.

good luck and let us know what happens,

cheers,

jj

Old 01-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

wheel (pun & bad spelling intended) keep an eye out for spare Detroits on ebay, craigslist, and salvage yards.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies, the wheel has been sent to BBS USA for rebuilding, I should have it back soon. I hope it was repairable. Sure would lke to see if I could get hands on a new one though.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Well, the rebuilder coudn't fix the wheel, so I ordered one from a wheel company in NJ that had one on ebay. they seemed like a good company when I talekd to them so we'll see soon. I hope it fills the bill. I still would have liked a new one, even at $2,000. When I get my old wheel back, I'll look into trying to get it repaired myself, even if it takes a lot of work. there are some rebuilders that are better than others, just a matter of finding them. Scott (one of the Jag reps) at Coventry West says they have a rebuilder in Atlanta that has never failed to repair a wheel, and Coventry can install the new trim rings themselves.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

bummer...so you found a 'used' ebay wheel? Any damage on it? Or are you just buying any detroit wheel so you can send off your other one to get fixed properly, no matter the time?

Old 01-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Well, the rebuilt wheel I got on Ebay turned out to be very nice and it looks new, with new bolts, trim ring and air valve. $750 plus shipping. I am back on the road after more than a month. My old wheel looks rebuildable to me, so I am going to attmpt to get it repaired since these wheels are getting very hard to find, I may need it some day. I plan to send it to Coventry West and see what they can do with it. I did find that these 20" BBS wheels are steel! Only the mounting spider is alloy. This should make them easier to repair as steel is more malleable than cast alloy.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a rear Detroit refurbished by a company here in Edinburgh about a year ago but recently I’ve noticed a creak from the wheel at very low speeds which turns into a fast clicking as the speed increases and eventually can’t be heard at higher speeds. Has anyone come across that noise before and had any idea what it could be?

I wondered if the refurbisher could have sheared one of the bolts when dismantling the wheels and simply glued it back on. Could that be the cause of the noise?

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I have Montreal wheels and have occasionally heard creaking while driving in the subterranean garage where I work which tends to amplify any sounds. My guess is that it was flexing of the chrome trim ring.

Doug

The following users liked this post:
andymac66 (07-28-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Andy'
I recommend you take that wheel out of service pending a complete check. It sounds like a cracked casting to me. Better safe than very sorry with a wrecked car.

The following users liked this post:
andymac66 (07-28-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I have Montreal wheels and have occasionally heard creaking while driving in the subterranean garage where I work which tends to amplify any sounds. My guess is that it was flexing of the chrome trim ring.

Doug
The sound is certainly amplified in enclosed spaces but it's audible most of the time driving at normal speeds. I've even had colleagues at work comment on the noise coming from my car.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Andy'
I recommend you take that wheel out of service pending a complete check. It sounds like a cracked casting to me. Better safe than very sorry with a wrecked car.
Thanks for that. I hadn't considered the possibility that the alloy wheel was cracked. I'll get it checked out tomorrow.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Andy,

So what did you find out?

Old 08-05-2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Andy,

So what did you find out?
The good news is the problem has been solved and the noise has gone. The bad news is I still have no idea what was causing it! The squeaking wheel was inspected and found to be in perfect order so I asked for the left and right rear wheels to be swapped over. The noise immediately disappeared. I suspect there are some slight differences in the two wheels and whatever they are allows them to run more freely in their new wheel arches. The tyres are Pirelli P Zeros which I believe are multi-directional so the wheels should be fine on the opposite sides.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmots
My damaged rear Detroit wheel is becoming a nightmare as the BMW dealer I left it at has tried to get a new wheel from Jag and a matching silver one is apparently not available. He ordered a new one, it came and was the wrong color. I just thought I would ask for any help here that might be available.
What caused your rim to bend?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

As written by Oldmots
Shortly after purchasing my XKR I decided to buy a used set of Detroits knowing that they were discontinued (HyperSilver) I was surprised that the Oyster was still available. I suspect many of the Optioned wheels, because of low manufactured numbers won't be available in the near future. If anyone is planning on keeping their cat for a long time might consider purchasing another set.