XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dexron III in the ZF 5HP-24 Transmission???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dexron III in the ZF 5HP-24 Transmission???

I just bought a 2000 XK8 a month or so ago. I have yet to get it on the road, (since it did not start). Got it started, finally - after replacing the Starter, replacing the Crank Position Sensor (had set P0335 code), having the Fuel Injectors cleaned and serviced and oiling the cylinders) and am doing all the necessary checks before putting it on the road. Well, guess what I found that the prior owner had done? The Transmission shows evidence of being out of the Jag at some time and there is RED fluid in it (most likely Dexron III), not the correct Esso Fluid. GREAT!!! Now the question is - How do I get all this wrong fluid out so I can refill it with the correct Esso Fluid? Does the torque converter have a drain plug? The RED Fluid still is Red and not burned. So maybe the prior owner never got to drive it with this wrong fluid in it (he had said that he had just had the transmission serviced...IDIOT!). Is the transmission ruined because of this or can the fluid be changed out and refilled with the correct fluid? Or do I start looking for a replacement for it?

Old 02-02-2010, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

There are several ATF manufacturers that claim to meet the LT71141 specification that may have the more traditional red color. I do not believe that Dextron III is one of them but you seem to be guessing that is what was used. Many folks use the alternative fluids because they are 25%, perhaps 90% less than the ESSO brand.

Can you find out where the transmission was serviced?

The 5HP24 did not have a drain on the torque converter.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

To completely flush your trans and transcooler you need to find a shop which has a trans flush machine.

There are two types of flush machines. The first has a pump, which forces the ATF through your entire system. The second uses your transmission's pump to drawn clean fluid into the trans thereby pushing old fluid out.

One of the lines between your trans and the transcooler (radiator) is disconnected and the trans flush is inserted in between. The capacity of your transmission, including lines and cooler, is noted. Then that amount of old fluid is pumped out into a reservoir which means an equal amount of new fluid was pumped into the system.

Obviously the mechanic checks the side port of the trans, in gear, proper temp. etc., to insure the fluid level is correct ot factory spec.

Trying to drain from a non-running [non-pumping] engine only results in about half to 2/3 of the fluid being exchanged. There is a substantial amount of fluid left in the torque converter, lines, etc. The balance of the old fluid immediately mixes with the new fluid.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Iv e seen a few shops and trans shops do that. We flush and cross fingers cause without taking apart trans you have no idea if permanent damage(if any) and how much. Ide have it flushed and move on

Old 02-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=BRUTAL;172310 Ide have it flushed and move on[/QUOTE]

That would be my plan also. There will be enough real problems with a newly purchased used XK8 to be overly concerned about possible incompatible ATF issues.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Probably not Dexron III. Should be Mercon V.
Personally, I would avoid extended use of the ESSO stuff. Transmissions fail at relatively low mileages with that oil. It doesn't seem much of a "lifetime fluid". Mobil 1 and Valvoline Maxlife ATF have worked for me. No problems at 132k mi.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:02 AM

Thank you for everyone's input! it is putting me more at ease that the Red Fluid may not be as big an issue as I thought. I have yet to try driving the Jag... I get no Warnings or Red Lights on the dash. Only DTC's the engine has set are P1316 and P0307 - both related to a misfire... no doubt, since this had to burn the oil in the cylinder oiling to get the compression back up to run it. Runs great, with a slight occassional miss. I will be changing plugs shortly to see if codes do not repeat. On to ther next issue...

Old 02-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

Using the incorrect ATF is not synonymous with drinking Draino. Given the fact that uncounted miles were driven before you purchased the car, IMO driving around the block to test something is not going to be an issue.

ATFs are all slightly different and your trans is designed to use those fluids specified by industry standards. Notwithstanding what was just said, having poured in a quart of incorrect fluid will not cause the trans to burn up or explode. As you correctly surmise, it would be in the best interests of your trans to insure the correct fluid is used. Consequently before you begin driving the car on a regular basis, get the fluid flushed.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GordoCatCar
Using the incorrect ATF is not synonymous with drinking Draino. Given the fact that uncounted miles were driven before you purchased the car, IMO driving around the block to test something is not going to be an issue.

ATFs are all slightly different and your trans is designed to use those fluids specified by industry standards. Notwithstanding what was just said, having poured in a quart of incorrect fluid will not cause the trans to burn up or explode. As you correctly surmise, it would be in the best interests of your trans to insure the correct fluid is used. Consequently before you begin driving the car on a regular basis, get the fluid flushed.
Could even call the former owner up, get the phonenumber to the shop that serviced it. Call them up and find out what they used. If it is a reputable shop, then you are probably good.

Cheers, Jarle

Old 02-04-2010, 01:07 PM

Thank you again for all the inputs! I will try to get with the prior owner to see what shop serviced it. Now on to the next problem...

Old 12-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Anyone know the fluid capacity of the ZF 5HP-24 Transmission???

Not counting the torque convertor?

tia

Old 12-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Capacity

There is a great manual for the 5HP transmission her eon the forum that will probably give you the capacity.

From a practical perspective, I just had the pan dropped and a new filter installed ($<$20 @ Rock Auto) and used about 6 1/2 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic (it was red) to complete the job. ($7.99/Qt). My indy shop charged me $107 labor.

Good luck with your car!