Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I buy the wrong MAF sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Did I buy the wrong MAF sensor?

Hi,

So on my quest to tackle a vacuum leak and to do some preventive work at the same time I decided to replace the MAF sensor in my 2003 XKR. As I could not believe what some sellers were asking for this part I thought I'd do a search on ebay using the Denso part number that was printed on the original sensor. I found one that is supposed to be compatible with my car and many other makes and models. It was less than £28 so I thought I'd give it a go.

Mechanically and visually it's an exact match. I popped it in and let the car idle to reach normal operating temperature. Then I drove slowly for a couple of miles and let it idle again for a while. I was monitoring the short and long term fuel trims all the time. After a while on that second idling the STFTs on both banks showed +25% and did not move. I got a bit scared at this point and turned off the engine and popped back the old MAF sensor. Things returned to what they were before.

I'm now wondering should I have done a full ECM reset or perhaps driven a bit more on highways etc or did I just buy a dodgy/wrong sensor?

Here's what the one from ebay looks like:

Old 06-18-2017, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

A member with a XJR bought one of those cheap knockoffs and had the same experience. A used OEM would be a better choice, but a new one is best if you intend to keep the car.

Whatever you use, disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery an touch it to the positive terminal to discharge the modules. Then, when finished, reconnect and wait at least 30 sec. before starting the engine.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Stick with a genuine Denso MAF sensor. You can find them on amazon or ebay for considerably less money than a dealership or typical parts seller. I purchased a brand-new Denso 197-6030 MAF sensor from amazon that works perfectly in both of our Jaguars for a little over $60 back in February. Other members have since found them for less with a bit more online searching than I did....

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 12:33 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm 95% sure there's nothing wrong with my original sensor anyway. I'll probably just give it another good clean and maybe use the O-ring from the cheap sensor and see what that gives me.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

If the DENSO numbers match, then I would say just return it. Even more so if the seller promised compatibility with your car...

I went through this, too. I bought a sensor reputedly compatible with my car as per the eBay listing, but really another DENSO number. The part fit perfectly in place, but clearly did not send the right signal (lumpy acceleration, high trims, etc). I returned the part as not working. I then ordered another eBay sensor, this time using the right DENSO number Jon89 listed. A Toyota part showed up. Perfect fit and function, including intake air temp. Cheap, too.

The following 2 users liked this post by fmertz:
cjd777 (06-19-2017), JagTheRipper (06-19-2017)