XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Programming 98 XK8 Transponder Key? (Not the key fob)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm going though this too. I just bought my car, and it only came with one key and one transponder. I have sent a bunch of emails, and contacted some locksmiths, and online services. I have come up with this: The key material for my car (2004 XK8) is harder material than some other Jag models. Therefore, having it cut is dealer only. I have a locksmith that can program the key once it is cut, but his cutter can't cut one. Anyway, I have an appointment with my local Jag dealer for Wednesday. $169 for the key blank, and $125 for cutting and programming. $294 plus tax.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Technically, the key IS THE TRANSPONDER and then you might also have a KEYFOB TRANSMITTER.

bob gauff

Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by Jen & Neil
Where can you get a copy of the Jag software?
The posts about the FORD/JAGUAR WDS software is in the General Tech Questions section. There are several of us with the software and can provide copies of it if you have a GENRAD WDS diagnostic computer (NO, A DELL OR TOSHIBA LAPTOP WILL NOT WORK).

Do a forum search for Genrad 3500 diagnostic or Jaguar WDS programming or ...............

bob gauff

Old 02-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Correct. Key (w/transponder), and seperate keyfob. The keyfob was easy-- $30 on eBay for a like new one.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Key blank price sounds high. My local Jag dealer, Flow Jaguar, cut the key + key blank for $80. $15 of that was for key code lookup. It was the original Jag key with text proper emblem on it too. I'd be glad to provide you contact details and save a few bucks on the key.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was there any conclusion about the T-300?

Old 03-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

The T-300 definitely will not work on any XK8, it cannot read the long pin number associated with this model car. I think there is a possibility that it works on 2005 XK and above, but just not any XK8 model. I sold the T-300 I had, it did work with many other model cars though.

Originally Posted by Richy_T
Was there any conclusion about the T-300?

Old 03-27-2012, 02:21 PM

Useful info. Unless one of those WDS things shows up crazily cheap, I guess it's just pay-the-dealer.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

Just in case anyone is reading this for info, here's a quick and dirty run-down of how the key/transponder works: The little black ring around the ignition key cylinder (where you slide in the ignition key) houses a coil of wire that acts as both an energizing coil and as an antenna. When the key is inserted into the cylinder a small switch detects its presence and relays that info to a computer. In return a small current is passed through the transponder coil which excites a pellet inside the key. This causes the pellet to broadcast a signal which the coil receives (remember, it is also an antenna) and sends on to the KTM - Key Transponder Module. The KTM decodes the info from the key and decides if it is a registered key and, if so, signals the ECM and BPM to allow cranking and fuel pump operation to occur. I would guess that ignition is also inhibited until the 'O.K. signal' is passed along but so far I haven't seen mention of it in Jag literature.

Anyway... the pellet in the key is NOT programmable, it has a constant value which is different from one key to the next. When programming takes place each key's value is stored in the car's computer, that is why nobody can cut and program a key then mail it to you - it just doesn't work that way.

While we're at it, keys are keys, they are not remote fobs.
Remote fobs are not transponders, they are transmitters.
Fobs (not remote fobs) are merely medallions attached to a key ring.
Transponders are devices that transmit a signal in response to receiving an incoming signal.
I'm not being ****, it just seems to cause quite a bit of confusion for those that don't know and are trying to play along at home. :-)

Last edited by Beav; 03-27-2012 at 05:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Beav:
2002XK8Orlando (03-27-2012), plums (02-21-2013)
Old 03-28-2012, 01:13 PM

Thanks Beav, that was pretty much the way I understood it but I did run across a post somewhere that suggested that the Jag key transponders arrived blank and needed to be programmed (I have worked with programmable RFID before so it is not beyond the realm of possibility). As you say, many people have it confused in their mind.

In theory, there's no reason you couldn't copy an existing transponder for additional keys. I think the programmable RFIDs I worked with could have been made to imitate the non-programmable ones but I never actually tried it.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Received 129 Likes on 61 Posts

It's been a little while, has anyone gotten a T300 or similar working or is WDS still the only option?

Old 02-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Any of the dealer level software will work as long as the particular model is recognised by that particular flavour of software.

WDS/IDS/SDD

Old 02-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Richy_T
In theory, there's no reason you couldn't copy an existing transponder for additional keys. I think the programmable RFIDs I worked with could have been made to imitate the non-programmable ones but I never actually tried it.
That's called cloning and has the disadvantage that if you have to disable one, you have to disable them all. Think stolen or lost key. Then you have to replace the entire set and it becomes as expensive as doing each the proper way.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I just had a new key cut at the local locksmith who had it cut and programmed in 5 minutes. He said the transponder is a standard T5 chip and is common in many makes of vehicle. He had a small machine that read the code of the original key and then programmed the new T5 chip with the same code. The hardest bit was cutting the Tibbe key itself. cost $125 all up.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only have a valet key so I have beenlooking to get a master key made.
Just received an email from Jaguar ofGulf Coast. $320.00 master Key and programing.
Send out emails to the local locksmithsto see if they can cut and clone the key I have. Found a blank key on line that willstill need to be cloned.

Any other suggestions

Old 09-20-2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by plums
That's called cloning and has the disadvantage that if you have to disable one, you have to disable them all. Think stolen or lost key. Then you have to replace the entire set and it becomes as expensive as doing each the proper way.
True. But I've needed extra keys far more often than I've ever lost any (not at all.)

Old 12-02-2014, 06:27 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Hello all, I am having the same issue with my 1999 xk8, i have the black logoed key but after a battery drain and attempted/failed jump start, the battery was removed, recharged, reinstalled, now the starter doesn't turn and when trying to disarm the alarm via turning the key forward in the ignition after triggering the alarm on, the key seems to no longer be recognized and it does not shut off the alarm by turning the ignition.

I too called the dealer about reprogramming, my local dealer in Pompano Beach,Broward county, Florida, quoted me $157 to reprogram and he said the car must be present to do it.

I also called a locksmith that advertises car keys, remotes etc, he quoted me $145, but the issue with that is that i don't think its worth risking someone that may fail do it right and still charge you, then leaving you not knowing if the failure was due to a different car issue or if the locksmith didn't know what he was doing, just for a savings of only $12 compared to the dealer. It may be worth a try if the savings was much greater.

I think Jaguar should be doing this for free or for less than $30, its not right that we should have to pay such an exhorbitant fee just because we had an issue with a battery or replaced a battery, battery issues and replacements are very common throughout the life or ownership of any vehicle and Jaguar found a way to extort its brands' owners.

SHAME ON YOU JAGUAR, THIS IS EXTORTION!

If anyone has found a way to reprogram more affordably, please let me know.

Thanks alot, much appreciated,
Sid

Old 12-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Beav
Just in case anyone is reading this for info, here's a quick and dirty run-down of how the key/transponder works: The little black ring around the ignition key cylinder (where you slide in the ignition key) houses a coil of wire that acts as both an energizing coil and as an antenna. When the key is inserted into the cylinder a small switch detects its presence and relays that info to a computer. In return a small current is passed through the transponder coil which excites a pellet inside the key. This causes the pellet to broadcast a signal which the coil receives (remember, it is also an antenna) and sends on to the KTM - Key Transponder Module. The KTM decodes the info from the key and decides if it is a registered key and, if so, signals the ECM and BPM to allow cranking and fuel pump operation to occur. I would guess that ignition is also inhibited until the 'O.K. signal' is passed along but so far I haven't seen mention of it in Jag literature.

Anyway... the pellet in the key is NOT programmable, it has a constant value which is different from one key to the next. When programming takes place each key's value is stored in the car's computer, that is why nobody can cut and program a key then mail it to you - it just doesn't work that way.

While we're at it, keys are keys, they are not remote fobs.
Remote fobs are not transponders, they are transmitters.
Fobs (not remote fobs) are merely medallions attached to a key ring.
Transponders are devices that transmit a signal in response to receiving an incoming signal.
I'm not being ****, it just seems to cause quite a bit of confusion for those that don't know and are trying to play along at home. :-)

Since the info is sent via an antenna/signal, then it should be possible to also reprogram via satellite, right?

or even maybe a device/universal key can be made to mimic the transmitting coil signal that signals to the KTM all possible key codes until a match is found in the KTM memory.

According to your above explanation, us having to reprogram seems to be due to the fact that the KTM has lost the registration in its memory of the key code of our key which was once a valid registered key in the KTM memory.

It has been quite some time since such electronic things simillar to the KTM have been outfitted with storage chips that don't lose memorized input/information such as key codes, so why not the Jaguar KTM memory???

Is this a manufacturer defective part, or is it an intentional profitable design flaw? Its not like Jaguar couldn't anticipate a battery having to be replaced at some point in the life of its product.

I can understand Jaguar charging to reprogram and replace a lost or or damaged key,

but I think its dishonest and an absolute ripoff that Jaguar charges anything at all, and in the hundreds of dollars, to someone that has a correct key whos code is no longer recognized by a KTM with a faulty/substandard memory chip.

There must be a legal way to get Jaguar to agree to providing free reprogramming due to this flaw.

Thanks,
Sid

Last edited by Hi-Velo-Sid-E; 12-02-2014 at 07:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (12-02-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked the site you recommended, and because I own a 98 XK8, I am out of luck. Even the vendor is saying anything up to 97 he can do, but if we have anything from 98 and up, unfortunately it is a trip to the dealer....but I will keep trying; in the Los angeles are the best price I found is $203 for the key and btwn $160-$194 for the programming

Old 12-18-2014, 03:13 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

Motorcarman,
Your leaving out some important information. Where does one get the Jaguar Software? and what's the cost of the software?
Just wondering.

Chuck
XK8

Quick Reply: DIY Programming 98 XK8 Transponder Key? (Not the key fob)