XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does any no someone killed in an XK?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Does any no someone killed in an XK?

I am curious as to the safety of these XK's , especially in a roll over. Do any of you have any stories you can share.
I have had TR'6's for years, and the first thing I did was install rollbars.
I'm just thinking here...Not trying to bum anyone out...

Old 12-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

GreenJewel was in a roll over, in a coupe: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=37641

Old 12-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Wow.. That's horrible. It's probably a good thing he was in a coupe. Sounds like he wasn't too happy about the way the car held up.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

As you know any Convert is ganna be a bit more risky to be hurt in is rolled. BUT seems to me these cars are pretty low slung, low to the ground, prob hard to get rolled. Can't say I have ever seen a roll bar in one.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:17 PM

You are correct, they are low to the ground... I'm thinking hitting a curb, or going into the ditch. I saw a roadster on e-bay that rolled, and wondered how folks made out.
The bimmers, and mercs have the pop-up roll bar things. I wonder way jaguar didn't try this.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

iillium lost control of his XKR and ended up in the trees....let me see if I can find it.

Here it is.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:50 PM

Thanks h20 boy

Old 12-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking Get A Coupe...

(Sorry Drop Top Friends...)

If your worried about rolling over...buy a coupe. Better looking. Less chassis twist. More unique. Safer (if your rolling over) and you do not have the prospect of the "green shower".

I am sure I will open up the proverbial Pandora's box by my comments....

Old 12-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by cohibarandy
You are correct, they are low to the ground... I'm thinking hitting a curb, or going into the ditch. I saw a roadster on e-bay that rolled, and wondered how folks made out.
The bimmers, and mercs have the pop-up roll bar things. I wonder way jaguar didn't try this.
Hell any car HT or not could roll. Life is not safe. You got a better shot of getting hit head on, t-boned, or rearended before you ever roll it.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

This is just one of those things about a convertible that you have to live with. Everything has inherent risk, it's just a matter of whether or not the pleasure you get out of an activity is worth the risk to you. Skiing is dangerous, yet people still do it. Riding a motorcycle is many times more dangerous the riding in a convertible, yet people still do it. Discussions like this always scare me because I fear some do-gooder is going to try to outlaw convertibles. Most states already have mandatory helmet laws for motorcyclists, how long until someone decides that people in convertibles have to wear helmets, too?

Old 12-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

The 07 verts have the pop up bars...if you're really worried you can always go to that year and up. Saw one in the dealer shop with the back glass broken out by them...the driver lost control and hit a curb, almost tipped the car, but it was enough to trigger the roll-over mechanism.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:05 PM

Well, I guess I will just keep her on the road then.
Thanks eveyone

Old 01-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is am interesting site that documents high performance car crashes called Wrecked Exotics. It has a Jag section of course.
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/jaguar/

Old 01-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-27-2011, 12:37 AM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
This is just one of those things about a convertible that you have to live with. Everything has inherent risk, it's just a matter of whether or not the pleasure you get out of an activity is worth the risk to you. Skiing is dangerous, yet people still do it. Riding a motorcycle is many times more dangerous the riding in a convertible, yet people still do it. Discussions like this always scare me because I fear some do-gooder is going to try to outlaw convertibles. Most states already have mandatory helmet laws for motorcyclists, how long until someone decides that people in convertibles have to wear helmets, too?
Thanks Sam - Let's keep a low profile here. I've bee driving 'verts for more that 50 years ('48 Buick Super - Baby Blue!), and enough of my choices in life are already gone! DaleD

Old 01-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

To a more positive conversation - anyone want to begin to tell about lives that were "created" in a convertible? (Or "might have been"?) Best, DaleD

Old 01-27-2011, 07:29 AM

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/jaguar/ Wow, more information than I bargined for. I guess when you run with the big dogs and lose it , you lose it in a big way.
Thnaks guys!!

Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag69

If your worried about rolling over...buy a coupe. Better looking. Less chassis twist. More unique. Safer (if your rolling over) and you do not have the prospect of the "green shower".

I agree with all you say except "better looking". You also missed the fun factor where the drop top scores big time.

$0.02

Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
LOL. The difference is that in the event that your head hits the pavement in a convertible it's probably because there's 1 1/2 tons of car on top of you. At that point a helmet may be of limited value!

That being said logic never stopped the lawmakers.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag69

More unique? All of the models are relatively uncommon for a 'standard production' type of car.

Better looking? Until the vert drops it's top. Then it's far more beautiful than a coupe.

Safer? Well, technically I'd agree with you, but most of the examples of people wrecking their cars on this forum are driving coupes, fwiw.

Quick Reply: Does any no someone killed in an XK?