Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flipped XKR

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flipped XKR

Hello,

I've been been an avid reader of this forum for about a year now, but unfortunately my first post will be to ask for helpful advice concerning a painful event. I wrecked my 2001 XKR coupe (95,000 miles) and am trying to figure out if it is a total loss or not. I've settled with the insurance company and have the car with title, but have not decide whether I'm going to part it out or try to bring it back.

My first question is--are there any mechanical issues I should consider given the fact that it was upside down? The engine killed immediately and I have no reason to believe that there is any issue.

My second question is--where is the best source for used parts to put it back together? I have a fantastic body man that I've know for twenty years to do the work (if I decide to).

This was the perfect car in my eyes, otherwise I would cut my losses and scrap it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

iilum, the big question is whether the structural integrity of the body has been compromised. if it has, then I would be very cautious of any body work done to the car. The body of the newer cars are very strictly built and need to have things done to them in a very meticulous manner. I would also ask your body guy how much it will cost to repair things. Without pics, it is really hard to say whether it would be worth salvaging or not as most insurance companies automatically call a car totalled if it has been submerged in water or the tires have left the ground during an incident. In your case, you had the tires leave the ground. If the car rolled over fairly gently, then you are probably safe doing what you want. But, if you banged up the body pretty good, the cost of parts is going to be almost cost prohibitive to fix. Granted, I would love to find a car like that as I would be pulling the drivetrain and computers out to put into a classic car for a great sleeper.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Thermo. If I decided to scrap it, what would the drivetrain, computers, etc. be worth?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:48 PM

One other thought I've had--could I drop the drive train from the XKR into a XK8 coupe? If so, what years?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look for a 2001 xkr coupe to buy and use the wrecked one for parts. I would say that works great for me because I have four 1997's XK8's and one is for parts. Just think fuel pump, ECM, mounts, engine, trams a lone is $3500. I will tell you in years to come the used car parts will be harder to fine. Good luck Here are some of the cars I have. And we love the cars

Attached Thumbnails Flipped XKR-greencoupe1.jpg   Flipped XKR-gold-ragtop1.jpg   Flipped XKR-goldcoupe.jpg   Flipped XKR-green-parts-car1.jpg  
Old 01-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

I agree with Two jags. If you have a place to keep the wrecked one, I would use it for parts. Those parts will only become more and more and more valuable over time. If I were you, I would be afraid that by "fixing" it from the wreck that you will continue to have problems, no matter how well it is fixed. These are very high tech, and delicate automobiles, and, even if you had not turned it over, you would be looking to have repair issues. My best friend ran his 2001 XK8 off the road into a small ditch in 2003, and, even though you could not see any damage when looking at it, the insurance company totaled it because the Jag dealership said that the engine and transmission had been misaligned. Surely, someone bought it at auction and "fixed it" and then resold it. That is why CarFax is a very good thing to check on before you buy any vehicle. Whatever your ultimate decision, I can only wish you the best.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I had a totaled XK8 in '08 and researched the salvage value. They seem to sell for about $3000 +- in the insurance auctions.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

With all the nice used Jags for sale cheap, I would not try to repair one that had flipped onto its roof! The only decision you have to make is whether you part-out the car; or sell the wreck as a complete car. Personally, I'd take some time, and deconstruct the wreck just for fun.... see how the car is put together. While doing this, you can sell off some parts and keep other parts for your own future use.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Thanks to all of you for the input. I think I will part out the car and keep some for future use. Does anyone know of a good avenue for selling used Jag parts?

Old 01-22-2010, 11:17 AM

Again, since I'm going to part the car out, can I drop the XKR engine into a XK8 coupe? Thanks!

Old 01-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I would look for an xkr with a bad engine and marry the two to get 1 good one.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

Big body panel, because of their size, will have to sold locally. Craigslist is good for that. Otherwise, Ebay for the rest. If you have a good working relationship with a local independent, ask him about bartering work for parts that he might need working on his customer's cars.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by iilium
Thanks to all of you for the input. I think I will part out the car and keep some for future use. Does anyone know of a good avenue for selling used Jag parts?
When I recently parted out my 96 VDP, I found Ebay was best for any parts that could be reasonably shipped and used Craigslist for the bigger stuff (seats, wheels/tires, etc.).

One thing to consider is that the more parts you sell off, the less attractive the chassis is to the scrap yards. At some point even the donation places will not take it.

My own experience was I bought the car back from the insurance company for $400, sold a little over $2k in parts and then donated the chassis with the drivetrain intact and took a minimal tax deduction.

Though I learned a ton about how these cars are put together by taking one apart and really increased my confidence doing DIY repairs on the XK8 we bought to replace the VDP.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

If I were you and had the place to put as many parts as I could into starage to keep/sell I would. These are ganna be real fun to get parts for down the road.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:13 PM

Thanks again for all the feedback. Brutal, is it possible (reasonably at least) to put the XKR drivetrain into a XK8? Body wise, it seems that the badges, hood vents, grill insert, and spoiler are the only difference. So, if possible, then a XK8 coupe seems like it would be easier to find and cheaper once I did. Unless anyone has or knows of a mechanically ailing XKR that they want off of?

Old 01-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

yes, but it would entail swapping harness too, and alot of extra work. patience and you can find an R with bad engine, or just sell off your parts unless you really want a project.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:34 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by iilium
Thanks again for all the feedback. Brutal, is it possible (reasonably at least) to put the XKR drivetrain into a XK8? Body wise, it seems that the badges, hood vents, grill insert, and spoiler are the only difference.
Bodywise yes, but mechanically there's a more efficient radiator and condenser and a modified exhaust system, and a new run of pipework to suit the gearbox, and the downpipes and heat shield are unique to R models. The XKR also has two fuel pumps with revised pipework compared to the single one in the XK8. Also upgrades to the suspension with CATS and upgraded front disks to cope with anticipated higher working temps. Oh, and many mods were made to the wiring harnesses and allied systems to accommodate the new engine and transmission so you may need too be swapping a lot over!

Good luck!

Steve

Old 01-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear of the unfortunate flight and I guess the best part is that you are still active. this said IF you decide to part out the R and it was equipped with nav, I would be very interested in the Dash display working or not if the bezel is intact. Send me a message if you go this way
Best Regards.
Jim

Old 01-25-2010, 11:59 AM

Thanks to all of you for helping come to a decision on this. I plan on parting it out and finding a replacement XKR, so if anyone has a line on a mechanically challenged car then please drop me a line. Jim, it does have navigation, so I will let you know when I have it out of the car.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parting out ah

hey bud, how are the seats?
I need drivers seat, mine just broke on frame.(correction I was ablbe to fix the seat )
I could also use the switch/control for the passenger seat.(but can still use the swith for the seat)

Sorry for your loss, but at least you lived to sell the parts .(lol)

Last edited by edsterp; 02-13-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Flipped XKR