XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door microswitch

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
As stated in post #1 the contacts should be OPEN when the door is closed so touching the wires together should give a 'door open' message.
Put a meter across the leads and look for the pair that go open when you press on the switch.
So shouldn't I get a door closed message when the wires are not touching?

Old 02-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Err - there is no 'door closed' message.
All that happens is the 'door open' message goes away and the BPM raises the window.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 AM

Err - there is no 'door closed' message.
All that happens is the 'door open' message goes away and the BPM raises the window.
My mistake. The message should go away and it isn't.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

With the door CLOSED the switch should be OPEN, with the door AJAR or OPEN the switch should be CLOSED. See the attached link.

Link http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...000xk8%205.jpg

The following users liked this post:
David's XKR (03-21-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Gus, that is correct SO if David doesn't have his 'door open' message go away there's something else wrong.
David - have you done a 'hard reset' after messing about with shorting the switch wires?
If so it looks as if there's a problem with the door wires rather than the switch.
I haven't seen this but, bearing in mind the cables get flexed every time the door opens, it is possible.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Test the latch switch disconnected from the car if the status changes as I indicated above then you need to look elsewhere. If it does not change recheck your new switch and application. If the switch is good then look to see if it is fastened correctly if it is loose it may give you bad results. Good luck!

Old 02-10-2013, 12:13 PM

Here's some pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Door microswitch-3.jpg   Door microswitch-1.jpg   Door microswitch-2.jpg   Door microswitch-3.jpg  

Last edited by David's XKR; 02-10-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:00 PM

Gus, that is correct SO if David doesn't have his 'door open' message go away there's something else wrong.
David - have you done a 'hard reset' after messing about with shorting the switch wires?
If so it looks as if there's a problem with the door wires rather than the switch.
I haven't seen this but, bearing in mind the cables get flexed every time the door opens, it is possible.
The issue was the same before "shorting the switch wires". It shouldn't have caused a problem seeing how the wires touching is no different then a condition created in the switch.
I did the hard reset and the only thing that changed is now the pass door open message is gone. But nothing I do with the switch changes anything.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. The two leads that go to the switch when touched together and pulled apart are doing the exact same thing as when they are connected to the switch and it's opening and closing. If that's true and nothing is changing when the wires are together or not then the problem is somewhere else.

Last edited by David's XKR; 02-10-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:15 PM

It's starting to look like something much worse/expensive is wrong then a bad switch. After the hard reset I don't get the open pass door message like I was getting. I hooked up the new switch, no change. I hooked up the old switch to see if maybe it was working now, no change. I noticed that when I locked the door it wouldn't stay locked, which is what would happen if a door was open even though I'm not getting a open door message. It didn't matter if I locked it from the driver or pass. side. When trying different combinations of car off, key out, car on or running, I noticed twice that I got a drivers open door message which went away if I opened and closed the door. Also every once and awhile when I locked one of the doors the other wouldn't lock. On top of all that, for the last 9 months I've had to reset my windows a lot. This can't be good.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

The door latch sends a signal to the door control module, I would swap out the control module and put the suspected bad one in the passenger door. You know that the passenger door is working properly and if the status changes after the swap you will know that is the problem.

When you do any electrical work on your car you should always disconnect the battery, make you modification and then connect the battery.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
The door latch sends a signal to the door control module, I would swap out the control module and put the suspected bad one in the passenger door. You know that the passenger door is working properly and if the status changes after the swap you will know that is the problem.

When you do any electrical work on your car you should always disconnect the battery, make you modification and then connect the battery.
Do you think it could be the security control lock module?

Old 02-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Anything is possible but the big problem we all have is jumping around from one thing to another. One step at a time and check the door control module first against the other and see what you come up with. I will also provide you a link to your 2000 xk8 oneline diagram and look at page #120

Link http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa.../jagxk2000.pdf

Old 02-10-2013, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
Anything is possible but the big problem we all have is jumping around from one thing to another. One step at a time and check the door control module first against the other and see what you come up with. I will also provide you a link to your 2000 xk8 oneline diagram and look at page #120

Link http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa.../jagxk2000.pdf
Now the drivers door is showing an open door message with much more frequency and it happens while the door is closed. Then open and close it and it's okay. Plus the way I'm always having to reset the drivers door window.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member

With ignition on check the green wire - should have either +5 or +12v relative to earth.
Also check the black wire is grounded.

You can also check pin 20 on the driver door module which is where the supply to the switch comes from.
The door module also controls the windows so a defective module or a bad earth could be the culprit.
Check the earth continuity at pins 8 and 17.
As Gus says, if the wiring seems OK then you could try swapping modules (the passenger side has no lock input).
If we can exclude the microswitch I think it would help if I move this to a new thread.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the problem is in winter, as mine is here in Switzerland at -15C. I used WD40, bought some Omron switches and now the weather has warmed up, the problem has gone away, although this may be temporary. If it is cold, WD40 and hot air may give some easing of the problem?
Two years ago, also in winter, I had the tick tick of the evap valve, but warmer weather cured that too.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:11 PM

With ignition on check the green wire - should have either +5 or +12v relative to earth.
Also check the black wire is grounded.

You can also check pin 20 on the driver door module which is where the supply to the switch comes from.
The door module also controls the windows so a defective module or a bad earth could be the culprit.
Check the earth continuity at pins 8 and 17.
As Gus says, if the wiring seems OK then you could try swapping modules (the passenger side has no lock input).
If we can exclude the microswitch I think it would help if I move this to a new thread.
I had to take a break, but now I'm back to try and resolve this. I've got 5.8 volts. It's the same if the ignition is on or off.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds good to me.
Can you check if it goes to zero when the switch closes - if so it points to the BPM

Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 AM

Sounds good to me.
Can you check if it goes to zero when the switch closes - if so it points to the BPM
I tested with the switch wired in and with the lever on switch not depressed and I get a beep which I guess shows continuity. With the lever depressed I show 5.7 volts. It's the same for both the new and old switch. I also found out that my battery was low (5 years old). Since I replaced it I haven't seen the random message that my drivers door was open while it's been closed. I'm also assuming that's why I had to keep resetting my windows for the last 6 months.

What's the BPM?

Last edited by David's XKR; 03-10-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by David's XKR
I tested with the switch wired in and with the lever on switch not depressed and I get a beep which I guess shows continuity. With the lever depressed I show 5.7 volts. It's the same for both the new and old switch. I also found out that my battery was low (5 years old). Since I replaced it I haven't seen the random message that my drivers door was open while it's been closed. I'm also assuming that's why I had to keep resetting my windows for the last 6 months.

What's the BPM?
What's the next step?

Old 03-11-2013, 03:31 AM
Veteran Member

BPM = body processor module.
Put your meter set to volts on the junction of the green/red wire and the two black wires (ie across the switch).
Without touching the switch there should be 0V between them.
Pressing the switch should give 5V.

Quick Reply: Door microswitch