XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door pocket upolstery

Old 03-13-2014, 06:52 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Door pocket upolstery

It seems that every '96 - '06 XK8/XKR I see has a problem with the upholstery inside the door pull pockets. The untucked in upholstery has no preference. The problem can be seen on both the driver or passenger sides of the door panels. Mine is no exception. I'm going to guess it's a simple fix but I'd like a little advise before I utter, WOOPS, and really mess it up. Suggestions - other than an upholstery shop?
RB

Old 03-13-2014, 08:30 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

the rubber bottoms are all one piece. On my 2002 they were easy to remove and clean. Then I stuck them back in and tucked in the fabric as I did it. So simple, even I could do it myself.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

I replaced the fabric in the door pockets of my 2004 a few months ago.

Take a look here

Old 03-13-2014, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Which fabric are you guys talking about? On my car there is fabric only on the inboard portion below the grip and it feels like the same stuff that is used on the A-pillars and header above the rear view mirror--is that it?

You never see it unless you really are looking but I had always been bugged that there is a small burn or hole I can feel in the fabric.

Rothwell--how did you replace the fabric and where did you get it?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 03-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

The link in my post above shows how to do it once the door panel is off. I got new fabric from JoAnn Fabrics. They have a selection of headliner materials.

Here is the youtube of removing the door panel from ReverendSam.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:20 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

That's half of the equation to rejuvenate the area but I was referring to the leather or vinyl trim that is on the window side of the door pull pocket not the occupant side that has the fabric. The a-pillar type fabric inside the 'finger pocket' (the part that your finger tips make contact with when closing the door from inside the car) faces it. It looks like this trim should be pushed back into some kind of crease along with the vinyl/leather trim section that comes up from under the rubber bottom tray protector that meets it. Doing so would create a recessed seam for lack of better description. I'm trying to avoid pulling the door panels (lazy) if possible and disassembling them. I hate pulling door panels! Thanks for the replys.
RB

Old 03-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Hey Rothwell--I was just noticing on your diy for the fabric replacement that your door panel is quite different than mine. With your it looks like the panel along with the grip/pocket is essentially a single piece while my door panel looks like the armrest/grip/pocket is a separate piece. I don't have a photo handy but I wonder if the panel design changed from the earlier years to the later ones.

Doug

Old 03-15-2014, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by East Haddam
That's half of the equation to rejuvenate the area but I was referring to the leather or vinyl trim that is on the window side of the door pull pocket not the occupant side that has the fabric. The a-pillar type fabric inside the 'finger pocket' (the part that your finger tips make contact with when closing the door from inside the car) faces it. It looks like this trim should be pushed back into some kind of crease along with the vinyl/leather trim section that comes up from under the rubber bottom tray protector that meets it. Doing so would create a recessed seam for lack of better description. I'm trying to avoid pulling the door panels (lazy) if possible and disassembling them. I hate pulling door panels! Thanks for the replys.
RB
In my car the two pieces were sewn together. I had a rage fit one day and ripped out the softer fabric because just as the headliner, the foam had failed and it was sagging in the door pocket too. Well, I had no idea it would rip out the leather side too!! I cut it off the leather, then tucked the leather back n with a little spray glue. Then I cleaned off the glue left from the soft fabric and left it plastic. Can't see anyway.