XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaded 'rear bulb failure' message

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 04:11 AM
Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Dreaded 'rear bulb failure' message

Got the 'rear bulb failure' message intermittently appearing on the dash. Panic! Read lots on the forum. Prepared for the worst. Watched videos and read all about how to repair the rear computer, put new earth's on the lights, repair burnt lamp connections, replace the microswitch in the impossible to get at brake pedal. Planned a spare day, went out to the car, ready to do battle..

Guess what...

Replaced the bulb and all is well... yay! woop! woop!... it worked like it was mean to. There's a first time for everything.

and Relax. Made tea, ate cake.

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

We all get so accustomed to spurious messages randomly displaying on our dashboards. Good to hear that sometimes a displayed message simply means exactly what it says....

Old 02-09-2017, 08:07 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

my baby is almost a month old, and when i got that dash light, along with "suspension fault" i cried. but i have learned in 3+ weeks, that i need to continue to spend at least a few hours a week on these forums to learn about things.

i repaired my burnt out 3rd brake light for $10, when i was told by a mechanic that it could not be done, and i would need a $500 repair. thanks to a post on the forum...

the suspension fault turned out to be a pinched wire from when i adjusted the passenger seat for my son...no dash lights since. *sigh of relief

this cat will keep you on your toes. i wish you the best of luck with yours.
and now i want cake...

Old 02-10-2017, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

Your car is obviously due a recall. A message that leads to a direct solution.
What is the world coming too.

Great car now that you have done such a great job.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:16 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I get that fault message once and a while. If I just pull the bulb (always the left rear)and reseat it in the socket, the fault message goes away...might be weeks, might be months before it reoccurs.

I have decided it takes far less effort, time, and money to just do this than to try to cure it .

Old 02-11-2017, 11:22 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnham
I get that fault message once and a while. If I just pull the bulb (always the left rear)and reseat it in the socket, the fault message goes away...might be weeks, might be months before it reoccurs.
I had same in my 97, except right rear side. I think the socket is just slightly larger than the bulb diameter. Applied a little bulb grease, which gave it some extra "reach" to contact better. It would still come up with the false warning, but maybe once per year instead of every other trip.