Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver and passengers windows will not go down. 2000 xkr

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 08:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Driver and passengers windows will not go down. 2000 xkr

Hello,

Over the weekend I decided to try the Global opening, using the key I was able to put the Windows and the convertible top down, worked great.
Later in the day, I tried it again, but this time the alarm activated, turned the alarm off with the keyfob and ever since then the two front windows will not go down.
The convertible top and back windows function, the front driver, and passenger windows will move up down an inch when the doors open and close, but they do not respond to the switches.
The Global opening does not work anymore, it will lock and unlock the doors but not the windows or convertible top.

Please tell me this is a simple fix.

Thanks

Old 06-04-2018, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Onlypq,

Check the battery this sound a lot like failing battery issues.

While in there do a hard reset. Don't forget to reset window limits when you are done.

Hope it helps.

John

The following users liked this post:
onlypq (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 08:27 AM

Thanks John, I'll give that a try at lunchtime and then let you know.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Onlypq,

Check the battery this sound a lot like failing battery issues.

While in there do a hard reset. Don't forget to reset window limits when you are done.

Hope it helps.

John
Hi John,

I must have done something wrong, cause now it is worst. Every time I open the door the window does the clearance drop but it does not go back up. Needless to say, after several opening-closing the car door the window is all the way down :-(

Thankfully it is not expected to rain today, but this is south Florida it can rain any minute.

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

Old 06-05-2018, 08:31 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

That is usually a sign of a bad battery.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:36 AM

Hi Norri,

Even if the convertible top and back windows work? And the car cranks without hesitation starts right up.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:40 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Yes, can you charge the battery, reset the windows and see if it helps? I'm assuming you can put the windows up and they're not stuck down?

Old 06-05-2018, 09:00 AM

It all started when I used the Global opening feature from outside the car with the key (for the first time since purchasing the car).
Everything worked, but then the 2nd time I used the Global opening the Alarm activated, I turned it off with the key, and after that, the widows would not go down but the convertible top and back windows work.
The front windows would do the pop down when you open the door and pop back up when the door is closed but trying to put them down with the switches would not work.

This morning I tried the hard reset, disconnected both terminals (negative 1st) touched them together for about 5 seconds, then turned the ignition on and touched the terminals together for 30 seconds (nothing connected to the battery). Turned the ignition off and connected the terminals (positive 1st). everything works but the windows, this time, when you open the door they do the drop but do not go back up. so after opening-closing the door a few times, the window is in the down position and I cannot get them back up.

Thank you for helping...

Old 06-05-2018, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

If you've disconnected the battery you need to reset the window memory.

See this post by avern1 for the procedure:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post1833730

Old 06-05-2018, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

I agree with MichaelH. I can't tell you how many posts I've read with this issue. For a while I suggested troubleshooting the door latch swicth, but nearly every time someone faster than me suggest resetting the windows - and it works!

Let us know how you do.

John

Old 06-05-2018, 11:19 PM

Thanks guys,
Here is the update; although no indication of a weak battery I still connected it to a running vechile and let it charge for a while. I then started, preformed the reset steps, which could not be done because the windows do not respond to the switches up nor down, there is no click sound from holding the switch down.
I took the car to a local mechanic he tested the fuses and the car's battery, and cleared all the codes. He then removed door panel and tested the switch. Disconnected the switch from the door panel, sent power to the motor and put the window up. When he connected the switch both windows went down without the key in the ignition. He recommends taking the car to the Jaguar dealership:-(

Old 06-06-2018, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by onlypq
I took the car to a local mechanic he tested the fuses and the car's battery, and cleared all the codes. He then removed door panel and tested the switch. Disconnected the switch from the door panel, sent power to the motor and put the window up. When he connected the switch both windows went down without the key in the ignition. He recommends taking the car to the Jaguar dealership:-(
A couple of questions:

Do you know if he disconnected the window motor to apply power to it?

Does the passenger side switch have any effect?

Is the locking system still working OK?

onlypq (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by michaelh
A couple of questions:

Do you know if he disconnected the window motor to apply power to it?

Does the passenger side switch have any effect?

Is the locking system still working OK?
Yes he disconnected the window motor
passenger side behaves the same way the switch has no effect
locking system works as for locking and unlocking the doors, but Global opening/closing does not work

Old 06-06-2018, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Ok to summarize:

Motor tested/ works ok.
Switch now sees battery (as opposed to ignition). Double check you said switch now works with ignition off right?

Need to ask length of time between ignition turned off and window switch pressed moving the window. Many comfort features in this car work for a short period of time after ignition off.

Sorry if a repeat, but could you pls summarize where you are now?

Window switch do they now work with ignition on?

Do they now work with key removed? If not I wonder what changed - mechanic said they did right? (See above on time out for comfort features)

Since you mentioned global does not work, I got mixed up about what now works when.

We can conclude switch is ok since it moved windows with mechanic.

I forget exactly how the inside switch moves window. Signal to BPM, or signal to relay to motor. Probably to BPM since so much logic is involved with window operation (heck just convinced myself as writing this, must be signal to BPM).

Some have found a bad connector to drivers door, but if passenger switch is non operational that may eliminate this.

Thanks John

onlypq (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 01:51 PM

Thanks John,

So much has been tried, and I really do not want to take the car to the dealer. So I really really appreciate all the help everyone is providing

I am picking the car up from the mechanic today and supposed to take it to the dealer. What I would like to do is get all the steps the mechanic tried and then note it here and hopefully somebody will say YES I know what the problem.

Stay tuned, and thank you all again.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

Odd that both door control modules seem to have got confused.

If both windows dropped I'm guessing that power is getting through to both motors, and if the locking is working then there's power to the window switches.

The training guide explains how it's all supposed to work (note the pass. side system can work independently):

XJ / XK BODY SYSTEMS
Power Windows
The door windows are controlled by the DDCM with input from the 4 window switches in the driver door switch pack. Manual operation is enabled in ignition position I and II. In addition, when the ignition is switched off, manual operation is still available until any door is opened.

When a passenger door window is operated by the driver door switch pack, the DDCM transmits an SCP message to the selected door control module, which drives the window.
The passenger door switch pack inputs directly to the PDCM for passenger operation of the window. Single switches on the passenger doors control the passenger window only.

If one-touch window operation is enabled, the window fully opens when the switch is active for between 50 and 250 milliseconds. If the switch is active for greater than 250 milliseconds, window operation stops when the switch becomes inactive.

Window drop (XK only)
The door windows are programmed to drop 12 mm (0.47 in.) before the doors open to prevent seal damage. The door handle switch is mechanically connected to the inner and outer door handle. If a window is closed when the door handle switch becomes active, the window opens 12 mm (0.47 in.). If the window is within 12 mm from the closed position when the door ajar switch becomes inactive, door is closed, the window closes. If a window is closed with the door ajar switch active, the window stops 12 mm (0.47 in.) from the closed position.

Just a thought - can you disconnect the driver's side switch and then see if the pass. side comes to life?

I suspect that the dealer will want to sell you new door modules, for starters.

The following 2 users liked this post by michaelh:
Johnken (06-06-2018), toaster (06-08-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 09:25 AM

Hi Michaelh,

Well, sadly, it started to rain when I picked the car up from the mechanic, so I had no choice but to take it to the dealer.

I am awaiting the shocking news...

Old 06-07-2018, 02:06 PM

Latest update, Jaguar dealership's service department in Pompano bch are two hours ($175 an hour) in of diagnosing the issue and they say they still do not know what the problem is with the windows :-(

Old 06-07-2018, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Without looking at you history , I found the locking bar on the sockets loose and the sockets would push back out of the connector and losing contact .

onlypq (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 08:34 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

..............The Global opening does not work anymore, it will lock and unlock the doors but not the windows or convertible top.

Please tell me this is a simple fix.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

IMHO the switch at the door lock (for Global Opening) is stucked........

Last edited by toaster; 06-08-2018 at 08:37 AM.
onlypq (06-08-2018)

Quick Reply: Driver and passengers windows will not go down. 2000 xkr