XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers door keeps unlocking

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers door keeps unlocking

Hi I havnt drove the car for about a month, after some snow in the uk had gone I went to take it ou but the battery was flat.

I charged it up and everything seemed fine on the short drive, however when I came back and used the key fob to set the alarm, the alarm went off, this happened a few times so I tried to lock with the key and noticed the doors were locking but then unlocking after a few seconds.

If I tried this about three times in a row the windows would then wind down.

So I checked through all the passenger and drivers side fuses and all seems to be fine, apart from when I take out the passenger door transit relay (fuse 15) and tried to lock both doors would lock but the drivers lock unlocked alone leaving the passenger door locked.

I have reset the windows and most of the time they rise back up when closed however not always the passenger side window and it keeps dropping each time you open the door

Also another thisng that seems to be happening is that the door mirrors seem not to be moving and the right one moves when the left one is selected sometimes

the left mirror will only go up but no other directions, also the interior light sometimes comes on, however the memory presets still work and move them all back to the correct position.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly apreciated.

Many thanks

Matthew

Old 02-01-2013, 07:55 AM

I forgot to say its a 2000 XKR Silverstone

Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

With this many weird electrical problems I would guess that your battery isn't fully charged or it's becoming faulty. Have it tested, get it fully charged and do a hard reset.
It can't hurt and it might fix it.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Matty
I'm surprised nobody answered you yet, Have your battery tested first. A lot of electrical gremlins pop up with a low battery. I believe you must have voltage above 12.4 anything less could create all kinds of weird results. If your battery is good then hopefully someone on the forum with more expertise could help you out.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:05 PM

I can't help you but I've been having similar issues, mainly with the driver's window and door latch since purchasing an XKR that had previously sat for months, maybe years unused.

A trip to the dealer resulted in a new battery that had improved my symptoms for a couple of weeks but now the problem is back as per previously. The battery voltage is fine after checking and I've had the door off to clean all electrical contacts inside the door again with no success.

Any further ideas or updates on this would be much appreciated!

Old 02-25-2013, 06:24 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

This has the symptoms of a failed Door Latch microswitch.

Check the FAQ's 'HOW TO Videos' for Reverend Sam's excellent video on removing the latch.

There's further information here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...oswitch-68735/

And if you want to remove the Door Latch without damaging the lock link connector:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nk-lock-90339/

Graham

Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 PM

Thanks for your response Graham, I removed the door latch and have tested all the microswitches, which are working perfectly as described by others in excellent FAQ's.

Unfortunately it has resulted in another small problem - the window has now gone all the way down but will not go up. When pushing the 'up' button I hear a clicking sound from the door without any window action - is this a sign of a bad motor? I've tried changing out the switch as I am fortunate to have a 'parts' XK8 but am not too sure what else could cause this.

Thanks
Alex

Old 02-26-2013, 03:07 AM
GGG

Alex,

It could be a sign you've made the same mistake as I did when testing the window with the door panel off.

I'd temporarily reconnected the switch and was pressing the wrong direction to close the window.........

Graham

Old 02-26-2013, 07:28 AM

Hi Gents

Thanks for the replys, the problem seemed to fix itself for a day or two but then happened again.

I replaced the battery and did a full hard reset (inc ecm, ignition on when touching wires) this does not seem to have stopped it from happening.

Something I did not mention was that the windows now seem to open and close correctly when opening doors, however even when it was working, whilst test driving it the interior lights came on and the doors unlocked.

looking at other replys it does seem it may be the microswitches causing the fault would you agree?

Also where can I get these mircoswitches from, Ideally the uk as would like to get it done asap.

Many thanks again

Old 02-26-2013, 07:33 AM

Also i should have said when trying to move the left door mirror which will go up and right but nod down and left through switch the interior lights sometimes activate.

The motor in the mirrors seem to be working as if I use the memory button it will move in all directions, just not through the directional switch

The right one moves in all directions and occasionally moves when the left one is selected or the middle closing position is selected.

Many thanks again

Old 02-26-2013, 08:14 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by mattyhurd
..............looking at other replys it does seem it may be the microswitches causing the fault would you agree?

Also where can I get these mircoswitches from, Ideally the uk as would like to get it done asap...............
Typical faulty microswitch symptoms.

For UK suppliers, check posts #24 for an aftermarket and #25 for OE Jaguar microswitches in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...h-68735/page2/

Graham

Old 02-26-2013, 08:19 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by mattyhurd
................ The motor in the mirrors seem to be working as if I use the memory button it will move in all directions, just not through the directional switch .......................
I've recently replaced my driver's door switch pack because the mirror toggle switch was intermittent.

Graham

Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 AM

Thanks graham

I have ordered an original replacement

I will try taking apart the toggle switch and cleaning it before I replace it

Thanks

Matthew

Old 02-26-2013, 10:45 PM

For me it ended up (I hope) being a faulty connection in the wiring loom connecting the window motor to the driver control unit. A spray in the connector with contact cleaner seems to have cleared up the problem, that and removing everything in the door, checking it worked fine in another car, and replacing it. So far (fingers crossed) all is working perfectly.

It's only time however...

Thanks for your help Graham.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 PM

For me it ended up (I hope) being a faulty connection in the wiring loom connecting the window motor to the driver control unit. A spray in the connector with contact cleaner seems to have cleared up the problem, that and removing everything in the door, checking it worked fine in another car, and replacing it.

I was certain it was the window regulator when it stopped working, but then swapping another in produced the same symptoms and both worked perfectly in another car. Out of desperation at the thought of changing the wiring I tried cleaning the contacts and it worked... so far.

Thanks for your help Graham.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem, used WD40 in the door latch and worked the door handle. Then I bought a set of new micro switches.
Anyway in the meantime the weather warmed up (from -15 C) and the problem has now gone away. I did not even take the door panel off.