XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers door / window problem 1997 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drivers door / window problem 1997 XK8

I just got into car and on message screen it says "Drivers door open" but door is closed. Automatic locks not working either. Drivers window dropped to it's opening level but will not work with switch or come back up. Neither side works. Car stays outside and expecting rain. Can I reset this? Obd2 reader? Battery terminal neg to pos?
Help!
thanks
Jack
1997 XK8 convertible

Old 09-12-2017, 02:18 PM
Default Re input

Originally Posted by xkeots
I just got into car and on message screen it says "Drivers door open" but door is closed. Automatic locks not working either. Drivers window dropped to it's opening level but will not work with switch or come back up. Neither side works. Car stays outside and expecting rain. Can I reset this? Obd2 reader? Battery terminal neg to pos?
Help!
thanks
Jack
1997 XK8 convertible
i tried opening passenger window on passenger door switch, no problem. Top went up and down. Connected obd2 reader, no message, I opened trunk, battery area and trunk floor wet from hurricane water, not deep but wet. I have trunk open to dry in Florida sun. Something up with driver door message, driver window not working or remote not locking. Key only locks and opens driver side. Tried key in door reset. Maybe I will wait tIll trunk is dry and disconnect negative terminal and touch to positive. 95 degrees today so it should dry in an hour.
please send thoughts.
thanks agsin
Jack

Old 09-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

I would guess that the micro-switch in the door latch assy is faulty.

bob

Old 09-12-2017, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

First get the trunk dry, may components in there that are expensive to replace.

Try a hard reset on the battery, disconnect the positive cable at the battery and hold the cable on the negative terminal for a few seconds. This resets everything, be sure to reset the window travel limits afterward by sitting in the car with the door closed, run each window up and down a couple times holding the switch each time until you hear a click.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:04 PM

Did hard reset, no luck. Where is micro switch?
I checked Facia drivers fuse panel at night and also noticed that interior lights do not go on when I open the drivers door. It does go on if I push light buttons on top. Trunk is now dry, the hurricane was a bitch but could have been worse. No water anywhere but trunk under and on top of battery also in tire area.
Thanks
Jack

Old 09-13-2017, 02:57 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I had this problem and resolved it by uncoupling the power from the door. open the door, locate the power cable into it, (large black plug) and unscrew it. Wait 10 seconds then replace it. Then reset window upper and lower limits.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:41 AM

Sun was in my eyes and I didn't notice. Car is a 99 not a 97. The key in door only opens the lock and locks car. Does not control window or top anymore either.
Sorry
Jack

Old 09-13-2017, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I would guess that the micro-switch in the door latch assy is faulty.

bob
Bob,

Would the micro switch kill outside key control, interior lights upon open, give me message door open, window on drivers door in open position but will not go up or down, window switches on drivers door Dead? I will gladly do it but part expensive. If wrong part I am out a lot.
Thanks
Jack

Old 09-13-2017, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Jack, I too think it's the micro switch, but I can testify that I use the key in my open door to open windows and roof all the time.

John

Old 09-13-2017, 10:19 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

If the door latch switch is faulty and the car thinks the door is open, then the car will not do the things you want with the door OPEN. If the display say's the door is open, then the door is OPEN!!!!!!

bob

Old 09-13-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
If the door latch switch is faulty and the car thinks the door is open, then the car will not do the things you want with the door OPEN. If the display say's the door is open, then the door is OPEN!!!!!!

bob
Yesterday I pulled out trunk cover, opened fuse box and let sun dry. I blew out all relay connectors and fuses. This morning car is fine. Yesterday it did say door open but sitting inside, I was able to manually lock it. I pushed on door and no movement. Today no issue. I am stumped. Can't fix what ain't broken.
Guess I will wait to see if it happens again. Micro switches usually break and don't repair themselves.
Advice?
Thanks
Jack
1999 XK8

Old 09-13-2017, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Jack, many of us, myself included, have had intermittent door switch failure. Some report wd40 fixed, mine corrected as I disassembled mechanics to get to it.

I forget when they changed the circuit, but as Bob said, if display says door open car thinks it is. For 97 and 98: Puddle light is on, window will not raise to seal when latched.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:04 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Try spraying the door latch with WD40 and operate the door open and closed a few times. If it does not clear the problem then it might be a good idea to do a little troubleshooting. Often the door latch is forgotten and it becomes dry and sluggish without lubrication.

This is a link to the door latch and the micro switches associated with it.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 09-13-2017, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Jack, not sure if we answered. The switch is in the door latch.

You know I just thought. Since the switch contact is either open or closed, wouldn't it be nice if there was a test point you could easily reach with your multimeter.

Does this switch go to a door processor module inside the Door? If so this idea isn't going to help much since you'd have to take door panel off to get to any analog connections.

Otoh, does a wire go to the body processor module behind the passenger air bag? If so there's going to be several feet of door switch wire to find and set up a test point.

This question "bad switch or not?" Comes up often enough. I figure it's a long shot, but wouldn't it be nice to have a test point in the car.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Jack, not sure if we answered. The switch is in the door latch.

You know I just thought. Since the switch contact is either open or closed, wouldn't it be nice if there was a test point you could easily reach with your multimeter.

Does this switch go to a door processor module inside the Door? If so this idea isn't going to help much since you'd have to take door panel off to get to any analog connections.

Otoh, does a wire go to the body processor module behind the passenger air bag? If so there's going to be several feet of door switch wire to find and set up a test point.

This question "bad switch or not?" Comes up often enough. I figure it's a long shot, but wouldn't it be nice to have a test point in the car.
after drying out the car (car sat in direct 95 degree Florida sun trunk open and top down) from the hurricane, blowing out the area and fuses, I woke up today and nothing is wrong. I have found out in past I can't fix something if it's working. Maybe I will lube the latch area and see if during a normal rain if water gets in again. If so I will change the seals. It's a 99 with 60,000 miles. Such a great car.
anyone agree?
i thought car got hurricane water trashed
thanks
jack

Old 09-13-2017, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

Jack, congrats that's great news. Disassembling the door/window to get to the latch is a pain in the neck.

I love it when things work out like this.

John

Old 09-14-2017, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Jack, congrats that's great news. Disassembling the door/window to get to the latch is a pain in the neck.

I love it when things work out like this.

John
thanks John,

But about 18 months ago, I had a problem opening the drivers door. The latch would open half way or pull to lock. It did it for 12 hrs then went away now this.
I have owned 10 E-types, an SS, 120, 150, Mk2, XJ6 series2, 6 Xj12 convertibles and never had strange issues like this. I always knew how to fix the older cars. These newer cars stump me.
thanks to all
Jack

Old 09-14-2017, 11:12 AM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Car wasn't behaving correctly even for the case where the microswitch - or the signal from it - was stuck in the door open position. So probably some condensation in the door control module - exceeding relative humidity specs can play havoc with processor modules - and now OK since being dried out, and the microswitch is probably OK, too.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This fixed my 05 XK8 Windows

Switch ON the ignition.

With doors closed, lower the window fully (to the stop) and hold the switch in the "DOWN" position for a further five seconds.

Raise the window fully (to the stop) and hold the switch in the "UP" position for a further five seconds.

Repeat for opposite door.

Switch OFF the ignition.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:54 PM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

What about the SLCM located beneath the fuse box in the trunk. He did state that the trunk had standing water, and the SLCM is not a sealed module like the ABS module that has to be cut open. Could the SLCM have caused the prior and currently corrected problem? Is it called the Security and Lighting Control Module, or the Security and Locking Control Module?