XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers Window struggles initially to go down

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Drivers Window struggles initially to go down

I've noticed that the drivers window on my 2003 XKR seems to struggle to go down.

Symptom is that when you press 'down', it moves ok, but when you stop moving the window (unless fully open), it 'creaks' a little, and moves down a fraction more (as if it was binding, but the power of the motor was able to overcome it).

Also, when you open the door (and the window should come down a little to clear the seal), the window only goes down a very small amount (say 1/4" or less), then continues to creak for a few seconds. This worries me - I don't want to damage the seal. The passenger window moves down smoothly, about 1/2" or maybe more, so I guess that is normal.

Any thoughts on where to start trouble shooting? My guess is that something isn't quite aligned (so the window is binding), but I've seen some other threads where getting it (re) aligned seems to be a nightmare, so I don't want to make it worse. It seems to fit perfectly.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Old 05-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I do know that the window does have an adjustment but never had reason to do it. If I recall a post was made on the window adjustment by Sam and I think it was a video. I know of no other reason like window operation failure to take place. Please let us know what you find.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

There's a rail at the front and back that may need a little grease on it. Click on the link below for my youtube videos and look for the video on how to adjust the window.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:51 PM

Quick update. I've not started looking at this yet (that's next weekend...), but the problem is clearly getting worse.

Window now 'squeaks' on the way down, and I notice that the plastic seal on the windshield pillar is slightly damaged, just above where the mirror is. It doesn't look like the glass is hitting it now, but my suspicion is that this door/window has some 'history', and it was in the past.

Will report back once I've opened it up...keeping my fingers crossed for an easy fix..

-Steve

Old 05-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the window is binding, check the forward/rear movement of the window. Once you get the inner door cover off, (Rev Sam has a video on taking the cover off) about 7in. inward from the door latch, there is a thread with a nut on it. That is how/where to adjust the forward/rear movement. Mine had the same symptoms you mentioned, so I loosened the aforementioned nut, aligned the closed window against the rear quarter window seal, and tightened the nut. Hope this works for you...

Old 05-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine has the reverse problem. About 3/4" from closing it stops and struggles to close.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by catman
If the window is binding, check the forward/rear movement of the window. Once you get the inner door cover off, (Rev Sam has a video on taking the cover off) about 7in. inward from the door latch, there is a thread with a nut on it. That is how/where to adjust the forward/rear movement. Mine had the same symptoms you mentioned, so I loosened the aforementioned nut, aligned the closed window against the rear quarter window seal, and tightened the nut. Hope this works for you...
Close - but no cigar...

That nut seems to allow the window to 'pivot' forward back (i.e. changing the vertical angle of the back edge of the window)

However, I've found that the problem is that the lower back corner of the window is moving down and back when the window initially opens, and is binding on the rubber on the rear window. Using the bolt to adjust it doesn't seem to make much difference to the gap in this area (it seems to be the 'pivot point).

This seems to have been happening for a while - the window/door rubber is damaged in this area (see attached). Anyone seen this before, and have an idea of what needs adjusting?

I have checked the (working) passenger side, and the glass also seems to move back at the same time as it goes down, but it doesn't bind, so I guess it is normal for it to move back.

I have confirmed this binding is definitely the problem. If I open the door, but push the latch fully in (fooling the door into thinking it is closed), then the glass goes up and down about 18mm when pulling the handle - a lot more than it does when closed, and this also matches the passenger side.

Also, when the window goes up (from fully open) I think it's binding on the rear window rubber; it's almost as if the whole window is very slightly too far 'in'.

I've also noticed that the glass seems to 'jump' slightly in some way when it's about 6" down. I think something in the mechanism is worn/broken.

I'm going to look at other adjustments tomorrow, but have given up for the evening - this was getting frustrating, so I finished off my bluetooth installation and grabbed a beer!

-Steve

Attached Thumbnails Drivers Window struggles initially to go down-xkr-window-rubber.jpg  
Old 05-29-2011, 08:17 PM

I've had some luck with this today, though I don't think it's totally fixed.

1) I found two screws (torx) that had come slightly loose, and were moving as the window moved. I think these were causing some of the forward/back movement. I've highlighted these on the attached photo (red circles).

2) I lubricated both front and rear rails (with white lithium grease - not sure if this was the right stuff, but I think that was what was on there before, but all dried out and sticky).

Now the window goes up and down without creaking or the 'jump' that was there before, and seems to descend slightly more when the handle is pulled to open it (but still not as much as the passenger door). However, it is binding up a little on the rear window rubber if the front window is raised (from fully open) while the read windows are up.

-Steve

Attached Thumbnails Drivers Window struggles initially to go down-xkr-inside-door.jpg