Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR pipe blanked out

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 12:30 PM
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default EGR pipe blanked out

2000 XKR, 4.0L

I was searching for an exhaust leak, and found that the source was my EGR pipe. Did some research into blanking it out, but decided to go ahead and replace the pipe and keep it original.
However, after dismantling I found that one of the studs anchoring the pipe to the manifold had been sheared off! (hence the exhaust leak). The repair history showed that the pipe had been replaced back in 2010, so whoever had done the work at the dealer shop had torqued the bolt off, and just left it as is.
So... I was left with either trying to remove the remaining portion of the stud, or going ahead with the blanking off of the EGR system.

I fabricated two blanking plates from 16 gauge stainless steel (1.5 mm) and along with the correct gaskets was able to seal off the port on the manifold and the EGR valve. There was just enough manifold stud left to get about 3/4 of the bolt to grab.

All said, I've got a little more pep and no codes. Most research said the motor will run leaner and hotter, but my temps stay steady at 218 and my fuel trims seem right in line.

The following 3 users liked this post by taxman:
jeremys (08-01-2017), michaelh (08-01-2017), RJ237 (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 05:34 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Please keep us posted if you get any codes after a few drive cycles. I would like to do the same to my 2000 as well but I don't want to throw a bunch of codes.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:22 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The EGR delete was authorized for the Normally Aspirated engines ONLY.
You will get some DTC for 'no or low' flow from the EGR if you install the Jaguar Blanking plate mod.

When we deleted the pipe we had to make sure that the ECM was updated or replaced with the correct software.

No authorization was issued for the SC cars.

Some regions don't require emissions testing so you might be OK.

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
303-07A EGR delete.pdf (29.9 KB, 115 views)
303-36 EGR Pipe.pdf (110.3 KB, 109 views)
309-S501am EGR pipe.pdf (1.23 MB, 146 views)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

Blanked off my EGR couple of years ago with no problems. As l understand it the feedback circuit was non existent on ROW cars up to a point. US cars were different.
I can say for certain there is NO ecu involvement with EGR on my car, 2000 XKR (australia)

Old 08-02-2017, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Indeed the ROW 2000 SC my cars only, don't have the MAP meter attached for the EGR operation check, and can blank it off.

Am not aware of any software adjustment to the SC ECU's, other then I know that JGAXKR in the US also tried to blank of the EGR with his 2000MY XKR, but wasn’t able to get it to work without the P0400 error (so the MAP check). He tried also to load a ROW ecu program, but iirc that didn’t work.

So only way for a 2000MY NA car (North America) is probably to get a ROW ECU, which I assume is identified via the vcats number

@Taxman,
Did yours have a MAP installed (iirc installed under cowl just after the TB and of course connected via a vacuum tube to the intake elbow) ? And what is your Vcats number for the ECU?

Old 08-02-2017, 06:53 AM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

your fuel trims will not change as the EGR control is independent of them. the extra heat in the combustion chamber will not show in the coolant temp in a modern engine, in good repair. older engines had a fail safe to open the EGR full time under an overheating situation as there is a cooling effect, but this is for older, iron block, mostly NA cars. The EGR works by displacing excess oxygen and nitrogen, mostly the former to prevent the reaction that causes NOx to form. this indirectly and directly has a cooling effect. The car has no way to test its exhaust directly for NOx so it might rely on an indirect method calculation from what it does measure, doubtful. If you live anywhere that they test exhaust gases live, you only have a problem if it is a dyno test such as we had in NYC for a while. The idle test will not measure for NOx and in the rare instance that some place does, the EGR does not function at idle, no problem.

Here is the big one before you change your ECU. A lot of areas do a plugin computer readiness test. I have no knowledge here, but some newer cars identify the ECU as belonging to the car along with other regional specs. You need to speak with someone who knows about this change. I can tell you that in my market i am allowed one code not ready, so if you start throwing EGR codes, you can ignore it and simply clear that one for the test. Once again, check with someone who knows your locality.

Otherwise you will not do damage to your engine, just enjoy additional performance and make the sky a little more orange.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. So far, so good with no codes. Last few days drove about 30 miles with a mix of street/highway.

Avos - No, mine did not have the MAP installed. no vacuum sensor or lines running to the intake elbow. I did read up on that issue, and I believe that is where a possible code would come from, since it would not read the drop in vacuum when the EGR valve was active.

WhiteHat - thanks for the info. I live in the Midwest US, and my state does not have emissions testing. I do care about polluting the environment, but since this is not a daily driven car...
I doubt I will even be putting more than 3,000 miles a year on her.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:41 AM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by taxman
Thanks for the input guys. So far, so good with no codes. Last few days drove about 30 miles with a mix of street/highway.

Avos - No, mine did not have the MAP installed. no vacuum sensor or lines running to the intake elbow. I did read up on that issue, and I believe that is where a possible code would come from, since it would not read the drop in vacuum when the EGR valve was active.

WhiteHat - thanks for the info. I live in the Midwest US, and my state does not have emissions testing. I do care about polluting the environment, but since this is not a daily driven car...
I doubt I will even be putting more than 3,000 miles a year on her.
Without the sensors or lines you will never get a code. i am actually surprised that Jaguar got away with this as the emissions laws require that the EGR system be actively monitored by the ecm and these lines and/or a valve motion sensor on the valve itself are required. You will definitely not get a code. In California they will fail you since they are required to visually inspect the EGR system for tampering.

The pollution is negligible in your market and only really matters in dense urban areas.