XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrics, Crank, ASC, Lights, TPS

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 01:09 PM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Electrics, Crank, ASC, Lights, TPS

My 1999 is just coming the the end of a major rolling overall and I am due to tour Scotland in a week But it has developed some electrical gemlins.

Before I start please be aware that it has both a new battery and a new alternator and voltage appears to hold steady. (I have also carried out a hard reset on numerous occassions).

Issue 1) No Crank, everything else worked and just trying again normally cleared it. But after a couple of no amount of trys working I have replaced the Starter relay and it has been ok since (fingers now crossed).

Issue 2) I had regular Engine Safe Mode - I replaced the Throttle Possition Sensor and that appears to have gone. (Just the occassional high reving first cold start (for a second or so))

Issue 3) The dash lights appear to "flutter" this can lead to them all going blank for a micro second. Reving/ accelerating makes them momenterily bright, then fade then rtn to normal. This flutter also appears on the footwell lighting and interior lights when you open the door (engine off). I have checked all Body Processor Fuses, changed the lighting/ indicator stalk, cleaned all the Body Processor Module Contacts and fitted a replacement dash lighting rheostat.

Issue 4 ) ASC oporates oftern. I have changed the rear sensors and leads but blipping the accelerator can bring on the ASC and the loss of power. This can happen at motorway speeds whilst crusing at 70mph. I have replaced rear wheel sensors and leads. (ABS light is not on). I amnow fitting new rear tyres.

I am trying to figure out
a) could there be 1 common cause for all this (please dont say battery thats sorted). Such as a bad earth or relay?

b) Could the ASC be triggered by just bad tyres, or could the throttle position sensor(new) or Peddle Possition sensor be an issue?

c) Any ideas on the lights (other than a replacement body processor module) would be appreciated.

Last edited by smoggyx100; 05-17-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

New batteries are always suspect in quality control .

Battery cables clean and tight as this causes many issues .

Changed a coil lately ?

Old 08-22-2021, 04:01 AM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by smoggyx100
My 1999 is just coming the the end of a major rolling overall and I am due to tour Scotland in a week But it has developed some electrical gemlins.

Before I start please be aware that it has both a new battery and a new alternator and voltage appears to hold steady. (I have also carried out a hard reset on numerous occassions).

Issue 1) No Crank, everything else worked and just trying again normally cleared it. But after a couple of no amount of trys working I have replaced the Starter relay and it has been ok since (fingers now crossed).

Issue 2) I had regular Engine Safe Mode - I replaced the Throttle Possition Sensor and that appears to have gone. (Just the occassional high reving first cold start (for a second or so))

Issue 3) The dash lights appear to "flutter" this can lead to them all going blank for a micro second. Reving/ accelerating makes them momenterily bright, then fade then rtn to normal. This flutter also appears on the footwell lighting and interior lights when you open the door (engine off). I have checked all Body Processor Fuses, changed the lighting/ indicator stalk, cleaned all the Body Processor Module Contacts and fitted a replacement dash lighting rheostat.

Issue 4 ) ASC oporates oftern. I have changed the rear sensors and leads but blipping the accelerator can bring on the ASC and the loss of power. This can happen at motorway speeds whilst crusing at 70mph. I have replaced rear wheel sensors and leads. (ABS light is not on). I amnow fitting new rear tyres.

I am trying to figure out
a) could there be 1 common cause for all this (please dont say battery thats sorted). Such as a bad earth or relay?

b) Could the ASC be triggered by just bad tyres, or could the throttle position sensor(new) or Peddle Possition sensor be an issue?

c) Any ideas on the lights (other than a replacement body processor module) would be appreciated.
For the record the cure was a replacement battery earth cable.

The following 3 users liked this post by smoggyx100:
crbass (08-22-2021), JagV8 (08-25-2021), RJ237 (08-22-2021)