XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The elusive on again -off again Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 04:25 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default The elusive on again -off again Sport Mode

I was embarrassed to share this sometimes works , some times doesn't work Sport Mode on my 2005 X100 XKR vert tale. I got advice from change the switch below the J-Gate (didn't help) to the pull the contactors off the side of the ZF 6 speed and clean the contactors (didn't help) to change the associated computer module (didn't help and they took it back, less labor to the ignition harness wire contacts cleaning (didn't help).

You're all thinking it must be the ABS sprockets on the wheels then (first thing checked, didn't help). Nearing the end of my pride and about to ask the forum, I had the pleasure of watching my supercharger being removed and replaced to change a leaking coolant hose at the Jag dealer when I spoke to the Service Manager, Frank at 320 E. Fletcher Ave. Tampa , FL Jaguar Land Rover and told him about my mystery. He said maybe I should look at the ABS Rotors again. He was squeezing me in and did not have the time during the Grand Prix weekend to look.

Guess what? That rotor is press fit on the rotor. A severe pot hole can jar it enough to loosen it. If it slips, all manner of interesting messages present themselves. My favorite is the worry free TRANSMISSION FAULT" with an amber light as I try to add up the numbers guess on a new tranny. Sure enough, it was a slipping rotor. SN Barratt came through for 69.00 usd on a 272.00 Jaguar USA part for the new ABS Rotor. It looks like Jaguar Merriam at 352.00 will be the supplier of the new lh rear hub, since Field's Jag back in my Wisconsin homebase is at 506.00 for the hub.

If your s mode is intermittent, check rotation of the tires, excuse me tyres to you Brits, and if you hear a bearing beginning to go out sound, it could be the ABS rotor.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

I'm a little confused. When you wrote 'the rotor is a press fit on the rotor' did you mean the sensor ring? That part is threaded and usually requires a 3/4" breaker bar with a pipe extension for removal.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Arland, was there any unusual vibration feeling transmitted to steering wheel?

John

Old 08-07-2017, 05:55 PM

I meant the ABS Rotor press fit on the hub. It is the sensor rotor in the SN Barratt parts book, page 56, item 1, pn# CBC4705. If I said rotor on rotor I ask forgiveness for a moment of mental aberration.

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 06:01 PM

The vibration I experienced was similar to a wet rotor warp being sanded flat by the EBC reds. It was only braking at high speeds, when the DSC and ABS sensors come into play. Also, driving in a quiet fenced lane, I heard the faint rubbing sound like a early stage of a wheel bearing failure that suggested something was rubbing that ought not to be doing so. Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (08-07-2017)
Old 07-12-2022, 10:18 AM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Arland Green
I was embarrassed to share this sometimes works , some times doesn't work Sport Mode on my 2005 X100 XKR vert tale. I got advice from change the switch below the J-Gate (didn't help) to the pull the contactors off the side of the ZF 6 speed and clean the contactors (didn't help) to change the associated computer module (didn't help and they took it back, less labor to the ignition harness wire contacts cleaning (didn't help).

You're all thinking it must be the ABS sprockets on the wheels then (first thing checked, didn't help). Nearing the end of my pride and about to ask the forum, I had the pleasure of watching my supercharger being removed and replaced to change a leaking coolant hose at the Jag dealer when I spoke to the Service Manager, Frank at 320 E. Fletcher Ave. Tampa , FL Jaguar Land Rover and told him about my mystery. He said maybe I should look at the ABS Rotors again. He was squeezing me in and did not have the time during the Grand Prix weekend to look.

Guess what? That rotor is press fit on the rotor. A severe pot hole can jar it enough to loosen it. If it slips, all manner of interesting messages present themselves. My favorite is the worry free TRANSMISSION FAULT" with an amber light as I try to add up the numbers guess on a new tranny. Sure enough, it was a slipping rotor. SN Barratt came through for 69.00 usd on a 272.00 Jaguar USA part for the new ABS Rotor. It looks like Jaguar Merriam at 352.00 will be the supplier of the new lh rear hub, since Field's Jag back in my Wisconsin homebase is at 506.00 for the hub.
If your s mode is intermittent, check rotation of the tires, excuse me tyres to you Brits, and if you hear a bearing beginning to go out sound, it could be the ABS rotor.
I am experiencing this right now with my 03.
The sport mode button and the J-gate shifting are affected at the same time. Sport button LED turns off and the car will only shift as an automatic regardless of whatever gear I put it in.
Being an older post, I am curious what the result was? You mention it is high on the suspect list but no followup about whether or not this ended up being the problem and if it was resolved?