XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine replacement - What's fair?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 04:58 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Engine replacement - What's fair?

Nearly a year ago I had to replace the engine on my XK8 due to an overheating problem. I purchased a used engine ($2,500 with updated tensioners and guides) and had it installed and it ran great for 11 months at which time "something" happened - mechanic isn't sure exactly what caused the first problem but there was coolant in the cats...to make a long story short now needed another engine replacement. Unfortunately out of warranty as this vendor only gives 6 months.
Purchased a second used engine (from same supplier - another $2,500) and had it installed....however that engine turned out to have very low compression in some cylinders. Supplier replaced it with another used engine and I had that installed and it is working great.

Question is: how much of the cost of the install and remove of the bad engine would one expect the supplier to cover? (total cost for the bad engine install/removal and fluids is about $1,500)

Just soliciting opinions on fairness. tnx

Old 11-27-2018, 05:23 PM
GGG
Received 16,796 Likes on 12,166 Posts

Ouch!

Were the "warranted" engines checked over/refurbished by the vendor or simply straight out of breaker vehicles but with a six month replacement in the event of failure?

When I've bought used engines or transmissions from breakers here in the UK, I was happy when they honoured the replacement on the rare failure and happy to cover the fitting/refitting costs myself. However, that's easier for me as I fit my own so it was my time and cost of materials - not so good when paying a third party to do the work.

When I've bought guaranteed refurbished units (stripped and rebuilt by the vendor), I've perhaps been lucky never to have a failure but in the event I'd expect the vendor to cover the removal/refit costs.

Depends what was in the small print on the invoice ......

Graham

Old 11-27-2018, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

+1 on what Graham says.

I have looked at quite a few engines on Ebay out of curiosity and maybe a project down the road.

All of the engines from a scrap yard specifically state they will warranty the engine for a period of time but not the labor.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

+1

I am guessing that supplier's warranty on used engines only covers replacement of "parts" ? If that is the case I would be shocked if you got supplier to cover any labor at all. I would not expect more than whatever the supplier committed to in writing when you purchased the engine.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:40 AM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

labor is most often never part of the warranty on both new and used parts unless the parts provider performed the install or the installer was a dealer for the part(s) provider such as with Jasper rebuilds. the cost that you quote is on the high side of fair.

only accept used engines if they have less than 60K USA miles and your labor provider performs a compression check and pulls the valve covers and oil pan prior to installation.

before you purchase another used eBay engine, there is a California company that rebuilds these engines for not much more and has a good reputation of which i have first-hand knowledge of two good outcomes. they list on eBay. you can spend a little more and go with Jasper which will never disappoint.

The following users liked this post:
MFoncerrada8 (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 10:30 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Thank you all for the information.
I do realize I paid more for the engines than I would have on Ebay but although not refurbished the supplier (one of our sponsors) did fir them with metal tensioners and new timing guides, hence the somewhat premium cost. He also provided a small refund to help pay for part of the cost of installing and removing the bad engine. So considering the general opinion that labor is not part of the warranty I am thinking that is quite fair.

Thank you all....and good luck to me with the new (used) engine.

Cheers

The following 2 users liked this post by MFoncerrada8:
GGG (11-29-2018), Norri (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

Yeah to get part labor on used is unique. I think you got a fair shake. The shop I use for the rare thing I cannot do insists on oem parts because he will warranty both parts and labor a minimum of one year. If the part has a greater warranty the labor follows suit .He is pricey but worth it in certain situations for me. He will only install used after his guys check out the unit and ok it for at least one year.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:20 AM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

best wishes for many motoring miles.