XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Watchdog TM1

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 08:49 AM
Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts
Thumbs up Engine Watchdog TM1

Just fitted one of these (ENGINE WATCHDOG TM2, Engine Overheating Alarm, Gauge & Sensor).

Straightforward - took a couple of hours (would have been quicker if I hadn't need to go to the store for some M5 nuts).

The display fits into the coin tray after I removed the shallow part of the tray floor. - it's a little more proud than I would ideally like but It's really the only place to mount it without being more obvious. I put the sensor on a cam cover bolt.

I'd fretted over how to get the sensor cable from engine bay to cabin and had given up before starting using the JagWrangler method of going via the rubber boot in the ECM bay as in my car I'd need to remove the wipers and screen tray and I reckon I'd still struggle. So instead I routed it via the drivers door and along the upper wing into the engine bay. The only evidence is a short run of cable but when painted black it's nigh on invisible - much easier.

On a stone cold engine the temp is exactly the same as shown by the external temp display which is encouraging. I've not got it warm yet as the rain came just as I was finishing the install.

Attached Thumbnails Engine Watchdog TM1-sensor_03.jpg   Engine Watchdog TM1-sensor_02.jpg   Engine Watchdog TM1-cablerout_02.jpg   Engine Watchdog TM1-cablerout_03.jpg  
Old 09-20-2014, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Nice work, but I certainly prefer the RealGauge solution. Proven, uses the existing gauge for a completely stock look, and uses coolant temperature (earlier warning than detecting the rising temperature of a bolt, I would think). Plus you get the oil pressure option...wonderful to have gauges that actually communicate information to the driver!

Either way, you're monitoring engine temperature now and that's a good thing.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:43 AM
Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by The Coupe
Plus you get the oil pressure option...

Either way, you're monitoring engine temperature now and that's a good thing.

I agree with you that the Real Gauge is a more elegant solution but TBH I wimped out of buying/installing it. I have fitted a 3-Guage conversion and am really pleased but I had a number of "problems" with fitting which was all down to me really and I needed to take the instrument cluster out several times before I got it all working due to a problem with pin alignement - on one occasion I fractured the little retaining clip that holds the bale in place on the yellow multi pin connector and I am very loath to strip it down again let alone dismantle the cluster itself so the TM1 was my girlie woos solution to real time engine temperature monitoring.

There's actually an oil pressure display on the TM1 as well - just need to connect a wire to the oil pressure sender unit - I just can't access it at home but may get it connected the next time car is at the workshop

Last edited by worrasf; 09-20-2014 at 11:01 AM.