XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

enhancing the XKR voice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default enhancing the XKR voice?

I have owned my 1999 XKR for several weeks now, and I love her more each day.
One thing that disappoints (just a little) is how timid she sounds.
I have read in the latest Jaguar World an article where the owner removed the middle mufflers from the exhaust system to improve the sound and also increase the horsepower a little.
Has any one else tried this?
It sounds like a very simple thing to do, and easily reversible later on.
Is there any good reason not to do this?
Obviously the whole system will one day need replacing, and apparently it does not cost much more to install a modified system when the time comes.
What are your various thoughts / experiences in this regard?
Cheers, Phil

Old 01-09-2010, 02:38 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I haven't heard an xk8/r owner removing just the mulfflers before the exhaust tips, but i've heard an XJR w/o them, granted in a video/sound file. I had often thought of doing it myself, but I find myself not really caring if the car is loud on throttle anymore. It is reversible, and if you tell the shop that, they will be extra careful to leave some metal for reinstall if necessary.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jagqueen
I have read in the latest Jaguar World an article where the owner removed the middle mufflers from the exhaust system to improve the sound and also increase the horsepower a little.
Obviously the whole system will one day need replacing, and apparently it does not cost much more to install a modified system when the time comes.
Cheers, Phil
My car has a much meatier sound than any other XK8 I have heard.
Not entirely sure what has been done to it, but when the weather gets warmer, I will try to get it up in the air, and look what has been done to it.
My car almost sounds italian, very similar to the 4.2 l current Mazzer engines.

I did find some exhaust shop bills, will try to do some research.

Cheers, Jarle

Old 01-09-2010, 04:18 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am thrilled with my MacLeod X-Pipes, as they sound great without being obnoxiously loud. I couldn't be happier with them!
Brian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PeqTzvkzWw

The following users liked this post:
Markmbaha1 (01-29-2022)
Old 01-09-2010, 05:04 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Cheers, Phil
Follow the link below. These are pictures of my 2000 XK8 exhaust.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...d.php?t=21246#

Old 01-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

The only thing I would caution is the experience of Corvette owners who have played around with their exhaust. I used to see dozens of posts from other members on the Corvette Forum complaining about having replaced their exhaust and then not being able to hear the radio and getting a headache from the resonance inside the car. It is true that loud rumbly exhausts sound muscular (and appropriate on certain cars) but the bang-for-the-buck is notoriously dismal and the side effect (noisy obnoxious cabin noise) is also a negative.

Doug

Old 01-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sure, I don't want her to sound like a tractor, but a little purr and an occassional growl would be nice.
I have re-read the Jaguar World article, and get the impression that the middle mufflers would be those below or slightly behind the front seats?
The video clips certainly show that there is plenty of voice there. Maybe a tad more than I would like. I'll have a chat to the local experts and post whatever results I come up with.
I know that in the later models, the designers paid attention to getting a bit more growl out of the engine, with particular attention to getting a bit more level into the interior of the car. Just don't know how.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
The only thing I would caution is the experience of Corvette owners who have played around with their exhaust. I used to see dozens of posts from other members on the Corvette Forum complaining about having replaced their exhaust and then not being able to hear the radio and getting a headache from the resonance inside the car. It is true that loud rumbly exhausts sound muscular (and appropriate on certain cars) but the bang-for-the-buck is notoriously dismal and the side effect (noisy obnoxious cabin noise) is also a negative.

Doug
There is a fine line between enough and too much. Agree to that. But, personally when I drive a performance car, I like to hear the engine. It needs to be comfortable, but I do want to hear the engine.

In my car, you are always aware of the fact that there is a performance V8 in it, but it is never tiresome. So the former owner has probably done some research to find the right combination. I do agree though, I have been in several cars with an annoying exhaust note causing a tiresome drone.

Cheers, Jarle

Old 01-10-2010, 04:27 AM

Not to sound tiresome, but I think that the MacLeod X-Pipes accomplish exactly what we are looking for in this respect. My 2 cents.
Brian

Old 01-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brian2000XKR
Not to sound tiresome, but I think that the MacLeod X-Pipes accomplish exactly what we are looking for in this respect. My 2 cents.
Brian

What exactly are these--a complete cat to tailpipe system or short pieces of cross-pipes that are spliced into the existing system? Also, how much to these cost, what are the real dyno results, how difficult to install, etc.

Doug

Old 01-10-2010, 03:21 PM

Hi Doug,
It is a full Cat Back System that many Jag enthusiasts have installed and are loving. Here is a link to it:

http://www.minagallery.com/jagxp/Jag...nce/X-pipe.htm

One fellow on the MPC site had a used one for sale, and presumably, still does. That site lost about the last 9 months of posts, so I don't know if it is still available, or at what price. If interested, his handle is Avos, and it would be easy to contact him. He is constantly updating his Jag and has been recently experimenting with increasing his HP and a different LSD. He had just listed the system prior to the crash.

Installation is pretty straightforward, not a big deal to a decent home mechanic (which I am not.). I don't think that there are any huge gains in HP, but certainly some marginal ones. My gas mileage may have increased by a 10th of a mile, certainly nothing to get excited about. The size of the exhaust tips are much better suited to our cars, and the improved sound is really where the gains are to be found.
Good luck,
Brian

professor2 (01-30-2022)
Old 01-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

$2,000--Yikes! A bit steep for some "marginal" horsepower gains. Again it is obvious that this is one of the least cost-effective mods and a lot to pay for subjectively better "sound".

Doug

professor2 (01-30-2022)
Old 01-10-2010, 05:29 PM

Any major XK8/R modification/improvements cost money, it's up to the individual to decide what something is worth to them. To me, it is money well spent. As far as "subjectively better sound", I would have to disagree somewhat. I think that it is clearly a vast improvement, and would be willing to wager that most folks would agree once they had heard it in person. There is no comparison to the OEM exhausts whatsoever.
Brian

Old 01-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure, I don't want her to sound like a tractor, but a little purr and an occassional growl would be nice.
I have re-read the Jaguar World article, and get the impression that the middle mufflers would be those below or slightly behind the front seats?
The video clips certainly show that there is plenty of voice there. Maybe a tad more than I would like. I'll have a chat to the local experts and post whatever results I come up with.
I know that in the later models, the designers paid attention to getting a bit more growl out of the engine, with particular attention to getting a bit more level into the interior of the car. Just don't know how.
The only time I hear a growl is when I get on the go peddle. Otherwise you can't hear any exhaust at all. My Corvette has a set of Flowmaster mufflers and at idle is 5 time louder than the Jag is at full throttle.

I didn't know that there was a muffler in the center of the car until I did more research and found my exhaust had been modified.

I've listened to several youtube sound clips of other's exhaust systems and also a couple from British aftermarket part sites and my Jag is no where near as loud at those.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:57 AM
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian2000XKR
I am thrilled with my MacLeod X-Pipes, as they sound great without being obnoxiously loud. I couldn't be happier with them!
Brian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PeqTzvkzWw
That sounds great!!