XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust H Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Exhaust H Pipe

Anyone know a good source to purchase a H pipe for the exhaust? I want to replace the centre muffler and prefer to not have a local muffler shop make one from scratch. Milltek, and other suppliers, will not part with the H pipe alone unless the entire exhaust system is purchased. Can't blame them as they put alot of R & D into their products.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Smile

For what it's worth, after pricing out what's available on the net, I fishmouthed a piece of exhaust tubing and had it welded in between the two straight pipes. Works very well to balance the system. Very little cost. I think it was magnaflow amongst others that makes them. Google. Good luck.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Magnaflo makes a "H" pipe muffler, but they are reputed to be loud. Dynomax also makes one, which is bigger and perhaps more quiet. Prices are reasonable.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default stainless steel exhaust

While you are on the subject of exhaust; is it true the the entire jag exhaust sytem is made of stainless steel?

Old 11-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I also had one made from 2 straight pipes.. installed for $35!! I know I could have paid 4 times that with and H or X pipe but I think the guy who did this was fantastic and made it look close to a factory job. Sounds great!!!

Old 11-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin
While you are on the subject of exhaust; is it true the the entire jag exhaust sytem is made of stainless steel?
Not true.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm curious why you don't want the muffler shop to make one from scratch. There isn't a whole lot to an H-pipe (compared to say a X-pipe or ProChamber) and a custom job is probably cheaper and easier for a shop to do. Here is what I did (although I did the entire system, you could just do the H): https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=37811

Old 11-06-2010, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by K.Westra
I'm curious why you don't want the muffler shop to make one from scratch. There isn't a whole lot to an H-pipe (compared to say a X-pipe or ProChamber) and a custom job is probably cheaper and easier for a shop to do. Here is what I did (although I did the entire system, you could just do the H): https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=37811
If I could purchase a bolt on H pipe I would do it myself. That is my reasoning. Although the job your muffler shop did looks amazing.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

use a X pipe instead, the benefits are better than an H pipe. Thats why Nascar uses them among others. Magnaflo makes a X pipe to slip on or weld on. ANd yes the exhaust is stainless Rev what makes you think its not?

Old 11-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by K.Westra

I agree 100%.They can build you any type of system that you want.Any size piping.Bring in your own Stainless steel pipe if you have some?Bring in your own special mufflers if you have such.But I would go with them.They will build it to fit the car.A lot of time you can buy a H pipe system and have to go in to them to have it altered to clear linkage or?

Old 11-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I have done a lot of exhaust R&D on the XK and I can tell you a H pipe will sound better but an X pipe will give you more power, we are not talking about alot here just a few BHP, I always prefered the balance pipe (H) idea over the X but dyno's have prooved otherwise. Either is very easy to make, I would even go as far to say if you have a MIG welder you could do it yourself with just some pipe, making it all up in situ going with the H idea would be childs play!

And I agree with Brutal the OE system is all stainless but the tubing is poor quality and will still rust!

Old 11-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
ANd yes the exhaust is stainless Rev what makes you think its not?
Because I was under the car looking at it earlier this week and there was rust on it.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool x pipe vs h pipe

Originally Posted by Brutal
use a X pipe instead, the benefits are better than an H pipe. Thats why Nascar uses them among others. Magnaflo makes a X pipe to slip on or weld on. ANd yes the exhaust is stainless Rev what makes you think its not?
I like the balance and sound from the x pipe,you can get a nice one from Magnaflo for less than $75.I had my local shop cut out the center muffler and weld in the x pipe,I also had them remove the rear mufflers but keep the ones that are in the back side. The sound of the new system is awesome!
http://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-1079.../dp/B000CCDNSW

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust H Pipe-img00012-20100724-1129.jpg   Exhaust H Pipe-img00010-20100724-1127.jpg   Exhaust H Pipe-jaguar-alpine-ipod-speaker-006.jpg  

Last edited by eaglexkr; 11-06-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: edit
Old 11-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Because I was under the car looking at it earlier this week and there was rust on it.
Rev, as an engineer you should know that there are different grades of stainless steel,and some will have different corrosion levels.Remember the reasons for specing 316 over 304 SS enclosures? Attached is some fun reading.

http://www.corrosionist.com/Stainless_Steel_grades.htm

Old 11-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

its just depends on the amount of ferrous metalor grade, a magnet sticks to it so its got some iron but compared to a true steel, its great and rust prevention. We can always spot nothern market or beach car depending on how much rust the exhaust has. otherwise we dont see any here in Houston

Old 11-08-2010, 01:34 PM

Does the existing centre muffler act like a H pipe but with a lower noise? If it balances the exhaust pulses between the two banks and scavenges the exhaust more efficiently I may look at just going with straight through pipes after the centre muffler. By getting rid of the four rear mufflers how noisy can the exhaust be?

Old 11-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by JagYour
Does the existing centre muffler act like a H pipe but with a lower noise? If it balances the exhaust pulses between the two banks and scavenges the exhaust more efficiently I may look at just going with straight through pipes after the centre muffler. By getting rid of the four rear mufflers how noisy can the exhaust be?
Good question. I have high flow cats and the Mina rear pipes and mufflers, with the stock dual center muffler. I really was wondering if the X or H would buy me anything significant.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by JagYour
Done that recently....Adamesh now do a set up which replaces the 4 rear boxes ( 2 silencer and 2 resonator boxes) with straight through pipes, this also does away with the squashed section just before the rear cage...

Sounded pretty good you do get a slight amount of resonation around 1500 rpm but nothing to write home about,

Old 11-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eaglexkr
Rev, as an engineer you should know that there are different grades of stainless steel,and some will have different corrosion levels.Remember the reasons for specing 316 over 304 SS enclosures? Attached is some fun reading.

http://www.corrosionist.com/Stainless_Steel_grades.htm

We didn't really cover metallurgy in electrical engineering school. However, I was under the car again today and I noticed that the rust was just little specs scattered all over the exhaust. I guess if it wasn't stainless it would be completely covered with rust. I was kinda expecting stainless steel to be all silvery and shiny. Shows you what I know...

Old 11-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglexkr
I like the balance and sound from the x pipe,you can get a nice one from Magnaflo for less than $75.I had my local shop cut out the center muffler and weld in the x pipe,I also had them remove the rear mufflers but keep the ones that are in the back side. The sound of the new system is awesome!
http://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-1079.../dp/B000CCDNSW
Eaglexkr - I had a magnaflow X-pipe installed, but left the other 4 factory cans in the system. I really don't like it much: Not much louder and it has a drone/buzzing sound around 1500 - 2000 RPM. Do you get that having removed the cans forward of the axle? Did you have new pipes made to go over the axles? I wonder if there's much difference between what you've done and using Flowmasters. It's too bad one can't really hear what an exhaust system will sound like until after it is installed. On-line videos just don't do it for me.

I'm trying to find a good solution without springing for the whole MacLeod deal. I'd like it to sound more civilized than my solid-lifter Corvette LT-1 (which my wife doesn't even like to ride in) but I don't want it to be too wimpy. The Mina system is probably good, but I just don't like the looks of their tips. I really prefer having an oval with a rolled edge. It looks like Mina's tips are welded on and close to the mufflers so it would be a hassle to change them. Sigh - someday I'll find the right setup.

Quick Reply: Exhaust H Pipe