XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust questions. A WWYD question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Exhaust questions. A WWYD question

My center muffler has corrosion holes in it and it seems to be getting louder the more I drive.

Question:

Replace with like muffler?
or
Cut it out and install X-pipe

2nd question:

Will replacing the cat convertors with a test pipe cause the OBDII system to throw a code?
If replace with X-pipe, is there any HP gain?

Old 05-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I had my middle muffler removed and a crossover pipe installed and liked the growl it gave the car upon hard acceleration. I should have stopped at that point but then I had the second set of resonators removed and now it kackles too much and Im either going to have them re-installed or go with flowmasters.

Mine is an XK8 not an r but I imagine you will like the sound without that first muffler.

Barry

Old 05-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

If you do a quick forum search there is a really good post about removing the middle muffler. Doesn't seem like anyone had an issue with codes.
Good Luck

Old 05-23-2012, 03:10 AM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

I removed the middle muffler and added an X-pipe. "Growls" more, but it doesn't sound like an aftermarket exhaust - the jag was too quiet to begin with in my opinion, now it sounds like a performance car in stock form, but to my liking I'd still like to hear a bit more

Details are in the thread linked in my signature.

Cheers

Old 05-23-2012, 03:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I would replace the center with the Borla Turbo XL dual in/dual out muffler which has x-pipe type internals.

Removing the center muffler on my XK8 sounded alright. With my XKR it sounded absolutely horrible. Too much under cab resonance and the exhaust note overall volume became really inconsistent. I installed the Borla with Mina exhaust and now it sounds pretty amazing.

You should probably have the over-axle bend of the exhaust replaced first. Then you should remove 2 of the 4 rear mufflers. Then you should upgrade your cats. Leave the center muffler in unless you have to replace it.

Just my opinion of course...

The best way to make your car sound better is to replace the factory cats. Oddly, they muffle more sound than any 2 other muffler components... I have the NP Performance 200 cell cats. Every once in a while I get a meaningless code about my cats underperforming, but that's maybe once ever 2-3 months and if I don't clear it, it'll clear itself.

It's amazing how much sound the factory cats muffle. It's not the cheap option, but changing them gives you the most change, the most aggressive sound.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Exhaust questions. A WWYD question

As per my knowledge i dont think that replacing cat with a test pipe cause OBDII to throw code and also dont think that you gain in HP with that one.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarshall
As per my knowledge i dont think that replacing cat with a test pipe cause OBDII to throw code and also dont think that you gain in HP with that one.
The factor cats are very poorly designed and replacing them must improve exhaust flow. I can't see how there is no benefit.

I do get an occasional code relating to cat efficiency. I ignore them. When I asked my mechanic, he said ignore them and that they're meaningless because I replaced the cats.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by xenophobe
The factor cats are very poorly designed and replacing them must improve exhaust flow. I can't see how there is no benefit.

I do get an occasional code relating to cat efficiency. I ignore them. When I asked my mechanic, he said ignore them and that they're meaningless because I replaced the cats.
In the 70's and 80's that was true, but now a days cats are very good and cause little to no flow problems. If you search on catalytic converter tests you will see what I mean. Plus I like the fact that my kids will have a little better air to breathe with the cats in place.