XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Upgrade suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Exhaust Upgrade suggestions

I want to replace my Exhaust system with something that has more airflow and better sound. There are lots of Brands out there and some people mix them up too. I'm not looking for the cheapest solution but I also don't want to take a loan out for this. What are your experiences and suggestions?

Old 07-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The following users liked this post:
Mendo XK (07-16-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 02:21 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I like the Borla exhaust, at least from the videos with sound we get to see around here. You could put on some Nameless Performance cats (sponsor here, just search them out, good price too), and replace your center muffler with Borla's version of the center box, and leave the rest of the setup alone. There's quite a restriction over the rear axle, however, lots of people get bigger pipes from the first resonator back, that helps.

Mendo XK (07-16-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation XK Exhaust

When choosing an exhaust does it matter if it is a XK8 or XKR. I have both and what to get a better Exhaust for both eventually.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:47 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's my experience. I installed the Mina Gallery exhaust on my 2000 XKR. What sounds good is somewhat subjective. It's all in the ear of the beholder. For me, I wanted something with a little more rumble than the stock exhaust. The Mina system roars nicely during WOT and is throaty in the low to mid RPM range. The price was also within my budget. The pipes go from the center muffler, under the axle (eliminating the over the axle restriction), with new rear resonators and your choice of tips as part of the kit. The stock resonators between the center muffler and rear axle are eliminated. The whole system is highly polished stainless. I think the oval tips look good.

Jon

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Upgrade suggestions-mina_exhaust_1.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Growl-R:
Jimscriv (11-17-2012), Mendo XK (11-04-2012), weisberg (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

What did you end up spending on that modification?
My goal is to obtain a major, bass-heavy sound even at idle. I drive in the city, most of the time and that would be exciting. A friend's 2005 911 Turbo has a deep sound as I described I'd like.

Mendo XK (11-04-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by weisberg
My goal is to obtain a major, bass-heavy sound even at idle. I drive in the city, most of the time and that would be exciting. A friend's 2005 911 Turbo has a deep sound as I described I'd like.
Weisberg,
The Mina system cost is $900. Installation at my local muffler shop was $140 labor. (I kept my stock XKR exhaust, should I ever want to go back to a quiet system.)

I think that Jeff In Tucson has a Mina system as well. He has posted some nice videos with sound.

Good luck on finding a system that suits you.

Cheers!

Jon

weisberg (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 02:39 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

What does "under the axle" mean in terms of ground clearance, and (gasp), when I'm driving in snow (assuming that is possible although it was in my Boxster using the same model of Michelin tires)?

Old 11-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm not sure you're really going to get that heavy bass idle... I could be completely wrong, but that has a lot to do with displacement, and the 911 turbo cylinders have a larger displacement than our 4.0 and 4.2s.

I have the NP Cats, Borla center muffler and Mina exhaust. You don't really hear any burble, there's enough when you're decelerating or when the RPM are coming down, but the video didn't really capture that. Sounds much better in person.

This is what mine sounds like.... my traction control was on, so that's the pause in my acceleration. I assume the LSD I'm getting might fix that.

Here's one from the inside with the top down:

Last edited by xenophobe; 11-06-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:42 PM

What does "under the axle" mean in terms of ground clearance, and (gasp), when I'm driving in snow (assuming that is possible although it was in my Boxster using the same model of Michelin tires)?
The under axle design is well engineered and is as tightlly tucked under the car as it can be. That being said, I am careful that I negotiate speed bumps slowly and straight on, versus at an angle. I'm really more concerned with the possibility of scraping the nose of the car while entering/exiting steep driveways, than dragging my pipes. I have not experienced any exhaust pipe drag under normal or "spirited" driving conditions. Definitely worth getting rid of the highly restrictive bend in the over the axle section of the stock exhaust system.

Sorry, I can't give you any feedback on snow driving, as I have not owned my car through the winter season, and I plan to keep it in the garage on snow days.

Xenophobe, +1 on you're heavy bass idle assesment of the 911 Turbo vs 4.0/4.2 Jag. Your exhaust sound videos are awesome! While nothing can replace hearing the sound in person, your video has pretty much captured the sound. I may have to add some NP cats and a Borla center muffler to my Mina system as well!

Cheers!

Jon

Old 11-07-2012, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Growl-R
Xenophobe, +1 on you're heavy bass idle assesment of the 911 Turbo vs 4.0/4.2 Jag. Your exhaust sound videos are awesome! While nothing can replace hearing the sound in person, your video has pretty much captured the sound. I may have to add some NP cats and a Borla center muffler to my Mina system as well!
Thanks! My exhaust note is aggressive enough that many drivers who would challenge me, don't when they hear me rev. Most of the ones who do get smoked, but I know at give or take 400hp I can't really challenge the higher end new MY BMWs and Mercedes, as well as some of the other cars pushing 500 or so. I've been lucky. But it sure sounds like I can lay them to waste. lol

I figure installing a good LSD and getting Avos' twin screw upgrade should put me up near the top of the food chain again.