XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Molded Fiber Material Heat Shield

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 02:58 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Factory Molded Fiber Material Heat Shield

i recently made my own left side down pipe heat shield. The original molded fiber heat shield is no longer available either new or used. I used a 4 ply aluminum heat shield from DCI and purchased it from CARiD. The product is formable and good for 1,200 deg f continuous heat. Took a lot of trial and error and cutting and trimming.
Just curious if anyone know what the original molded fiber heat shield was made of and does the material have a name.

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (07-26-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Question mvsbraga and the aheat shield?

Originally Posted by mvsbraga
i recently made my own left side down pipe heat shield. The original molded fiber heat shield is no longer available either new or used. I used a 4 ply aluminum heat shield from DCI and purchased it from CARiD. The product is formable and good for 1,200 deg f continuous heat. Took a lot of trial and error and cutting and trimming.
Just curious if anyone know what the original molded fiber heat shield was made of and does the material have a name.
I'm interested in your development of a Heat Shield for the Left side downpipe! Since you have not explained what car you are working on, I will assume it is a Jaguar XK something, as this is Jaguar Forums X-100 Forum. I would like to know more as I have changed the routing of my down-pipes and Cat Converters so that they come down at a 45 degree angle out of XJR Exhaust Manifolds to small Cat Converters and then 45 again into a Double Muffler. I really need a Heat Shield to protect the Floorboard area directly above the Cats and Down Pipes.....If you would, Please post a photo or two showing your work and any other information that would be helpful to me! Sounds like you have developed something I could really use!
Thanks a lot!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 07-24-2018, 11:29 PM

The heat shield is screwed to the original bracket that is attached to where the exhaust manifold and the down pipe to the Cat converter connect.

Trimming and cutting. No photo of the final shape.

New DCI Heat Shield Product.
I have a 2004 Jaguar XKR Coupe. Here are some photos of what I did. I hope these help.

The following 2 users liked this post by mvsbraga:
bcprice36 (07-26-2018), Orthodixie (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

mvsbraga,,,
Hey Man! Thanks a lot! Just what I was looking for!

You are the MAN!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 07-26-2018, 06:40 PM

Glad I was able to help. I couldn’t find anything so I just went for it. Not sure what’s going to happen as these cars get older and start being RESTORED and no original heat shields available, unless they are being hoarded. The reason the foldable heat shields are important is because it means they are strong enough to hold their shape. If they need to be stronger you can always bent a fold into the heat shield for more strength.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

mvsbraga,

The main thing that I found in the DCI Website was the 2" and 3" Pipe covers....You can just slide it over the Exhaust pipes and tie it down at the ends and there is no more worry's, then wrap the Cats and all is well.....They even have Tie-Ties to hold everything down....
I just am so happy to find this stuff......after looking through the internet, I found that even Carid has somethings that could work!

I rerouted my exhaust system on my 2005 XKR to look more like the 2005 XJR, even used the XJR Exhaust Manifolds as they are so much better flowing than the XKR's....As you know, the XKR Manifolds make a 90 degree turn right out of the end where it connects to the Disposal looking Cat and then another 90 right out the bottom. The XJR makes a 45 into the Cat and then another 45 at the bottom as they enter into the Muffler.. This relieves a lot of back pressure on the system but causes a lot of heat to the XKR's Floor board....Also the 300 Cell Cats create lot of noise with no shielding. So, hopefully I can dissipate most of the Heat and Noise both at the same time! .

Thanks a bunch!

Billy Clyde

Old 07-26-2018, 10:13 PM

Why would Jaguar not use the better flowing XJR manifolds on the XKR? The XKR is the performance model and not the XJR.
Good to hear you found what you needed.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Question Why did Jaguar do that?

msvbraga,

They had a system that worked with the space they and they would have had to shield it as I am going to do mine.... The XJR is a much wider bigger Car with the space they needed.....

I have a set of 2005 XJR Manifolds that I have had Ported and Ceramic Coated. They have a different flow pattern than the XKR and look more like a Header than a Manifold....They are 4 into 2 and dump into the exhaust pipe connection to complete the 4-2-1..When they were ported they matched the Ported Heads and cleaned out the inside with multi-stone grinder....The Ceramic coating is inside and out to hold down Heat absorption....I haven't done any Dyno Runs, so I don't know how much HP they have gained.....But they are louder than Stock. Don't want to say how much HP it gained as the doubters will all want to see the Dyno Runs.....Anyway, I think they are good looking and they create more HP! Now with the Heat Shielding on the Exhaust Pipes and Cat , it should be a lot better!

Billy Clyde

2005 XJR Right-Side Exhaust Manifold

Old 07-26-2018, 11:21 PM

Thanks Billy! Only had my XKR four months and it’s my first Jaguar. A lot to learn. Thanks. Let me know how it turns out.

Michael

The following users liked this post:
bcprice36 (07-26-2018)