XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fails Emmission test..?!

Old 10-27-2016, 06:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fails Emmission test..?!

Hi
I am new member here , my Xk8 fails Emissions test , we have put new cats on it and 2 lambda sensors, new plugs, new airfilter, has anyone here some good ideas what the problem could be ? KR Brian

Old 10-27-2016, 06:57 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Kindly provide the vehicle details such as MY and where the vehicle is being operated.

Is the MIL on, and if so, which DTCs are stored in the system?

Old 10-27-2016, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

And the detail results of the emissions test . . . .

Old 10-27-2016, 07:28 AM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag Brian
Hi
I am new member here , my Xk8 fails Emissions test , we have put new cats on it and 2 lambda sensors, new plugs, new airfilter, has anyone here some good ideas what the problem could be ? KR Brian
Hi Brian, What facilitated the need to remove and replace the Catalytic Converters, Lambda Sensors and Plugs, which I believe are spec'd to 100,000 miles? Did you perform this maintenance yourself, or did you take it to a Dealer or another mechanic, that supplied you with diagnostic evidence indicating these components required replacement, if so please post that information here.

Please update your signature line to include the Model Year of your vehicle and the Mileage. Any other relevant background information you can provide would be helpful as well, fails Emission test is a bit vague.

Last edited by 03 XKR; 10-27-2016 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by test point
And the detail results of the emissions test . . . .
This is the emmision test after cats and lambda sensors are new , hope this can help ;-)

Old 10-27-2016, 08:42 AM

We changed the cats because the km on the vehicle are 142000 km , and then we did the same with the sensors oxygen , we have ordered the lover and the upper , but the lover sensors where not correct so wait for 2 new to be delivered , i tryed top upload pic from emmisions test but can not see it here hmm, i am new here so please bare a bit over with my english and troubles here in the start ;-)

Old 10-27-2016, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,486 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Brian,

For us to best be able to help, find a way to edit your forum "signature" and put the details about your car.

For emission failure, the best is to let the car tell you what it thinks is wrong, i.e. get the OBD codes with a scanner. Hopefully, the emission report will have the details. Throwing parts at this car (any car, really) without proper diagnostic gets expensive very quickly.

Last, pay double attention to the oxygen sensors, especially if you are using "generic" sensors. The upper sensors are wideband, the lower sensors are the older narrow band. They are not interchangeable.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:38 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

We changed the cats because the km on the vehicle are 142000 km , and then we did the same with the sensors oxygen , we have ordered the lover and the upper , but the lover sensors where not correct so wait for 2 new to be delivered , i tryed top upload pic from emmisions test but can not see it here hmm, i am new here so please bare a bit over with my english and troubles here in the start ;-)
What is the nature of the emissions test? Where are you located?

Is the MIL on? What DTCs are stored if the light is on?

Old 10-27-2016, 12:50 PM
GGG
Received 16,756 Likes on 12,145 Posts

Hi
I am new member here .......
Welcome to the forum Jag Brian,

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 10-27-2016, 04:27 PM
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I hope this story is helpful, on my 99 the battery had been dead for two years, then brought back to life, it only put out 11.3 volts, enough to start, but NOT enough to run properly regarding the OBD11 system, so it would not pass smog. Change out the battery if you are not certain it is fresh and over 11.7 volts. Then you must drive the car a ludicrous amount of time and miles to get the codes cleared and memory set. In Calif you need 3 or 4 out of 5 set to pass, there is not tail pipes sniff test.
So if you are up and running, and your battery is good, then have the existing codes wiped and set your trip set so that you can measure hundreds of miles, then it should pass....each time any codes are wiped and reset you must go this again....it's a silly amount of all speed driving, coasting , idle when cold with a/c and rear defogger on, etc....that was my experience.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:06 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

If you search Drive Cycle there are several posts that describe exactly what distances, speeds, and times are needed.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:47 AM

Thank you very much for your replies, the story is that both my sons are mechanics , they have done the things on the car , changed the Cat´s and the sensors etc, they have the tester on it , digfferent ones and no errors occur, they are also new to work a Jaguar , so we try to learn ;-) The alternator we have also changed it have been bad and maybe Hirev you are right about the bad battery then, we try to drive the car so much as possible on the highway so it gets warm , and the emission gets a little better every time , the HC number are now 300 and it used to be as high as 700, so maybe it has to run more than it used to , but the car should go to the expection tomorrow, so its a bit of a problem with the time LOL..;-)

Old 10-30-2016, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Not the same car but my STR has had HC in the range 3-5 for the last 7 years. That's 3-5 not 300-500!

Is the car even going CL (closed loop)?