Sponsored by:

Fog light surrounds.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Fog light surrounds.

Fog light surrounds.-image.jpg
I got my mina gsllery Arden style fog light and decided to try wrapping with my brushed titanium vinyl. And added a more riveted look with some domed washers. Also made it a self stick do I don't have to scree into bumper.
I think I like it!! Also covering the mirror covers to match. I can still see the surrounds body color with rivets but this is growing in me!!

Old 02-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Damn now I want a set...

And I was just chatting with Chris on Friday. Though I think I'll try wrap in gloss or flat black. Let me know how hard it is to pull the mirror backs, I'm going to try to hydro dip mine. If I get to it first I'll share as well.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by enderle
And I was just chatting with Chris on Friday. Though I think I'll try wrap in gloss or flat black. Let me know how hard it is to pull the mirror backs, I'm going to try to hydro dip mine. If I get to it first I'll share as well.
My mirrirs poped off fairly easy. I actually just used a Teflon knive and pried it off from the outer edge.
I'm still debating on the fog surround finish. Was always planning to paint body color so they would be subtle but I'm really liking this!!
Also exchanging my seat skins for a contrasting color so I'm just waiting for everything to come together.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

Mirror matching now. Brushed titanium.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

It's not my taste. It calls attention to something that doesn't need it. I'm not too keen on the mirror covers either but they aren't as bad. To each their own though. It's funny, I used to own an '87 Cougar that came from the factory with chrome mirrors. Most of the guys in that forum were switching them to body color.

Last edited by K.Westra; 02-09-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

As its been pointed out on many occasions, taste is subjective. If my intention is to have an off the showroom floor, same as anybody else's, sacrosanct "classic" xk8, I would have done nothing to it.
I tend to change things quite regularly until I find what I'm looking for. Since I'm looking for a more edgy track look, these are the details I'm looking for.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm glad you keep posting your mods, if everyone had the same style, this would be a boring place. I do love your color and the rear plinth mods you've done. The wheels you have are cool too. Even when things aren't my tastes, its fun to see things done to these cars.

It will be fun to see what you do next, right now these don't seem to match the smooth look the rest of the car has, that is probably why I don't like them.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

I'm with you on this one Keith but more so since the grill appears to be chrome as well as the side marker surrounds - maybe if the other trim was done in the brushed titanium??????

Old 02-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

They remind me of this!!

Old 02-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

Fog light surrounds.-image.jpgTruth be told I think I like them in the very first photo the best because they are much darker. My first intention was to paint them body color. May still do that.
But as for the titanium, my wheels are brushed aluminum rims with silver spokes and they actually look good with them. And the mirrors are titanium as well as the dash inside.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by K.Westra
I'm glad you keep posting your mods, if everyone had the same style, this would be a boring place. I do love your color and the rear plinth mods you've done. The wheels you have are cool too. Even when things aren't my tastes, its fun to see things done to these cars.

It will be fun to see what you do next, right now these don't seem to match the smooth look the rest of the car has, that is probably why I don't like them.
Believe me, I much prefer posting mods than needing help!! Lol The help usually means she's not doing well!! ( and right now I've a ruptured fuel line under tank. Won't even hold gas to start!) towing tomorrow.
I think my point is I'm trying to un-smooth it a bit. I've started getting a few comments from people that it looks like an old mans car or jags are for older people. I never got that when it was blacked out and aggressive. So I'm working on a middle ground.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

I think I'm leaning towards the body color again?

Old 02-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

This is where I'm heading. I do think the body color is probably best but. Have to work through every option!! OCD!! Lol

Old 02-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

My useless vote says body color.

And where did the growler on the grill go? You're going to have to start publishing your changes somewhere. It's hard to keep up without a scorecard. Maybe the moderator gods will give you your own sticky, "Phil's Mods".

Old 02-10-2014, 12:10 AM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

I think it looks killer.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

The surrounds are not to my taste but as Keith says we all need to be different...... If I had my way I wouldn't have anything that looks like it has been stuck on over the top, I wouldn't even have fog lights! I don't like side markers, I like the smooth look unless you are going to go mad!..... Sure in some cases it is inevitable but still does not stop me trying......

So for my vote I would go body color just to try and hide them, same as the door mirrors, either carbon wrap or body color..... I do like the brushed wrap you have used on the interior, not sure about the black strip along the bottom I think I would have to see it to appreciate it more...... Don't think for one minute I am dissing your XK because I am not, I think it looks phenomenal, there are just a couple of things I would of done different.....

Keep modding!!!!

Old 02-10-2014, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag#4
My useless vote says body color.

And where did the growler on the grill go? You're going to have to start publishing your changes somewhere. It's hard to keep up without a scorecard. Maybe the moderator gods will give you your own sticky, "Phil's Mods".
Ha ha , the body color pic isn't mine. Just one I found to study. And honestly, I can't remember all my mods. But I'm fast on the heels of enderle!!!

Old 02-10-2014, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XKRacer
The surrounds are not to my taste but as Keith says we all need to be different...... If I had my way I wouldn't have anything that looks like it has been stuck on over the top, I wouldn't even have fog lights! I don't like side markers, I like the smooth look unless you are going to go mad!..... Sure in some cases it is inevitable but still does not stop me trying......

So for my vote I would go body color just to try and hide them, same as the door mirrors, either carbon wrap or body color..... I do like the brushed wrap you have used on the interior, not sure about the black strip along the bottom I think I would have to see it to appreciate it more...... Don't think for one minute I am dissing your XK because I am not, I think it looks phenomenal, there are just a couple of things I would of done different.....

Keep modding!!!!
I'm cool with it. I mean, let's face it, your business is based on changing our xk8/R's. so at least your not afraid to alter the original car. Something tells me if I lived in UK, you'd have another xk8 with XF tail lights and new body kit!!
Typically I modify something like this so I can remove it and these are held on with badge tape right now. I learned a long time ago not to drill any holes until I'm really sure.
And I wish more people would post things they do even if they decided against it. It's more helpful when I can find poss like these so I can see pics and comments.
And no one has even noticed the leaper is gone for good!!! Lol

Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
Attachment 71865
...... And added a more riveted look with some domed washers. ....
Phil,

Reminds me of something.........

........ perhaps going more towards 'heavy industrial" than "edgy track" with this one?

Graham

Old 02-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Phil,

Reminds me of something.........

........ perhaps going more towards 'heavy industrial" than "edgy track" with this one?

Graham

Oh, Ha Ha Ha.
So where is the sticky "all the abuse is to be heaped upon philhef!"? Lol
What, has enderle stopped posting?? Lol

Quick Reply: Fog light surrounds.