XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford parts on XK8 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ford parts on XK8 ?

Just wondering if there are parts used on Jaguar XK8 the same as parts used on Ford vehicles.
If so, what parts and from what model(s) of Ford? Is there a list or part#s?
If it's the exact same part, I would like to save money buying from Ford.
Thanks for your help!

Old 12-19-2012, 03:45 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Bob,

That's a v---e---r---y broad question. If a comprehensive list does exist, I've never seen it.

If you ask about parts for a specific maintenance or repair task, you'll get a better response.

As an example, leaking cam covers is a common issue on the XK8/XKR. In this instance there is an equivalent Ford gasket set available.

Graham

Old 12-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

chain tensioners can be bought at FORD with Jaguar on the box.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks. Yeah I figured it was a very broad question...wishful thinking on my part for a list
So far I've read, chain tensioners and thermostat are interchangeable...didn't know about the cam cover gaskets.
Planning ahead to find new and used (auto wreckers) so wasn't sure if there were alot of interchangeable parts or just a few between Jaguar X100 and Ford.
We have a Ford parts service store up North here but no Jaguar.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

No the cam cover gaskets are not interchageable on your '97 which has the AJ26 4.0 liter engine. The later 4.0, the AJ27 (from '99-'02, I think) is interchangeble.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

MAFS parts overlap other car manufacturers, my 'refurbed' unit is from a Toyota. My fuel pressure regulator is from a Lincoln. (your 07 doesn't have one, I believe). When in doubt, google the part number in question to see if it is cross-compatible with other makers. The HID ballast is another that comes to mind.

The following users liked this post:
pgguy (12-19-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Bob,

That's a v---e---r---y broad question. If a comprehensive list does exist, I've never seen it.

Graham
Having worked in the Parts Department of quite a few Independent Ford Dealerships for MANY MANY years, I agree with the statement of being too broad.

-- It's Lesson Time, if anyone cares:

I can tell you in a BROAD sense, for my 2001 XKR I see Ford part numbers (basic #'s) ALL OVER, but they have an odd prefix (1W8F ???) which are not 'standard'. Now, I left from Ford Employ back in the 1990's and we were in the F0XX Range.. F0.. what?

Here starts your pedantic lesson for those who care:

Ford Motor Company uses a system for Parts grouping in a similar vein to a the Dewey Decimal System. All Parts will consist of a Prefix, a Basic and a Suffix, such as a 'Disk Brake Rotor for a 2001 Lincoln Town Car' might be (or was, if i am recalling this all correctly), F0DZ-2200-A.

For this example,. the Prefix is F0DZ (That is Eff, Zero, Dee, Zee), the Basic Part number is 2200 and the Suffix is A (Aee).

This system EASILY tells any part man (or anyone who cares) not only the Major Part (2xxx basics are ALWAYS something to do with the brake system) but I can tell the last major revision time, as well as the model range it belongs to and any possible minor revision OR unique variant.

So, as I mentioned, Ford will group all parts first by a Major System, and as in my example, a 2xxx part is for Brakes. Another Example basic number for something to do with Brakes is/are Brake Pads, which are a '2001' basic. 1xxx are Bearings, 6xxx is Engine, 7xxx is Transmission etc.

All Parts for a specific 'thing' are ALWAYS the same basic part number. All Brake Rotors are ALWAYS a 2200 basic. Motor Mounts are 6xxx; 6049 for Front (engine) and I think Transmission Mounts are 6069 (ha, they are NOT a 7xxx number!, as most were mounted on the cross-member which is also a 6xxx part) and all outer Wheel Bearing are 1215 ( I think that is right, but the point is that it is the same basic Value EVERY TIME)

Next most important part is the Prefix. The first character of the Basic is the Decade the part LAST had a major revision. A part staring with 'A' would be for a 1940's decade part, a B is something in the 1950's and an F would be for the 1990's. This only gives an idea of a 'age' of vehicle it fits. An example how this is not EXACTLY good for its 'age' is that a tail light for most Econoline Vans still had (again as of the early 1990's, and if my memory is correct) a D9EZ Prefix, showing they had not changed the part since 1979!

As I just eluded to the second character is the Year the mast major revision to the part was made. the Last 2 characters are ALMOST ALWAYS a model range, such as a DZ part are usually for the Town Car model range. I believe the Mustang/Capri Range was xxDZ prefixed.

So we should be able just take a part, look at it and if it has a part number on it, then we are golden! Well, now, to get a BIT confusing some parts will be stamped NOT with the 'correct' part number but a number that will CROSS REFERENCE to the correct part. So your Brake Rotor may have a F1DE prefix on it but it is fairly obvious what it is/belongs to... Some Trim Parts (basics starting in the 635xxx range) will have some WILD numbers on it, but will always be able to be cross-referenced back.

So, my point of all this is if you look at your part, you MIGHT be able to call your local Ford Parts Department and IF YOU ARE LUCKY you might get a Parts Person who knows this kind of stuff and can help you find it. When I was in Parts we had the Graphical Applications (ones such as CDE or DCS etc.) so we can more easily find a part etc. but we also had to maintain a paper book of ALL the parts available for any vehicle in the Ford Family. So with this 'manual' method, this allowed one to start with a specific Basic Number (2200 etc.) and/or go to a picture of a part group to get a basic area of a vehicle which will lead to a correct basic # and then spend your time digging around 'in' that basic and see ALL the available parts, by family group.

The Suffix, if a single character is almost ALWAYS an A and just means LATEST REVISION. IF it happens to have a B or a C, it might have been revised due to a new model in mid season etc. etc. Almost all Trim parts have two characters and that helped define colors etc. (AA , AB, AC et al.)

Just today I tried some of this with my local Dealer. I brought down the Seat Control Module down there and tried to get the kid (and I MEAN KID, he was all of 19...) there to let me root around in the books (the Part number I had was 1W8F-13C189-AA, and once i took it apart on the bread board was a 1W8F-14A608-A). He wouldn't let me and even took to 'trying to cross reference' it away from me...

Well it didn't work, no part found but all over this module is "Made for Jaguar by Ford in Spain", so I need to run into someone who is interested in taking this further because I know that by this time in Fords history they were already in the midst of the 'One Ford' Initiative, which was their intent to try have just one (everything) for all vehicles, from European to Australian to North American cars wherever possible.

<PEDANTIC OFF>

Good Luck.

Last edited by Cerberus128; 12-22-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Clarified Basic 'sub-groups' with more detail.
The following 7 users liked this post by Cerberus128:
aardvark64 (03-31-2013), EZDriver (02-26-2013), Lanny (03-31-2013), Norri (12-22-2012), pgguy (03-01-2013), sklimii (12-22-2012), WhiteXKR (12-22-2012) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by pgguy
Thanks. Yeah I figured it was a very broad question...wishful thinking on my part for a list
So far I've read, chain tensioners and thermostat are interchangeable...didn't know about the cam cover gaskets.
Planning ahead to find new and used (auto wreckers) so wasn't sure if there were alot of interchangeable parts or just a few between Jaguar X100 and Ford.
We have a Ford parts service store up North here but no Jaguar.
Your nearest dealer is in Kelowna BC

Bernie. 08 XKR VERT Gindrod BC

Old 12-23-2012, 12:30 AM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by sherbercars
Your nearest dealer is in Kelowna BC
My nomination for the most remote & obscure location for any Jaguar dealer.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Cerberus128,

I had tried the seat module translation before at the parts counter without success after seeing that "Made for Jaguar by Ford in Spain". That would be one valuable find as module failure is common and Ford's units are less than 1/10th the cost of Jaguar units.

It's my understanding that the driver module must communicate over the CAN but that the passenger module does not. The Jaguar/Ford communications may add a level of compatibility too high to get over. Even if we could locate one that would only serve the passenger side that would be a great financial advantage to lots of folks (me).

Sometime in the dim past (mine) I had suggested such a compatibility chart as a sticky. You seem like the perfect member to organize such a project.

Last edited by test point; 12-23-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:29 AM

I have found a module listed in the same prefix range (newer, but). Hmm, maybe a Lincoln part? I don't have a Lincoln dealer near me (any more, damn you Economy!) to test that theory out.

3W4Z-13C789-AA - Ford Module - Seat Memory

Not the correct part but Close. Need a pic to be sure...

I found two other sites that talk about a similar module (same basic and even same bread board @) in a Scorpio. It's gotta be out there.

What I found out is that there is the center connector on these modules, and the driver side has the connector to fit it. With that center disconnected there is no warning that the drivers door is open. Passengers side has no wire loom to connect to that but the fact that you can switch a known good module for the other 'broken' one in either seat bodes well that it is a 'generic function' part and should be prevalent in many models.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

[QUOTE=Marsden;643937]My nomination for the most remote & obscure location for any Jaguar dealer.

You may be right but it is only 60mls from my home ,saves a 300 ml trip to vancouver

Old 03-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So did you ever find a Ford Equivalent for the seat control module? Only reason I ask is my passenger and drivers sides are broken and the genuine Jag stuff is pricey...

Old 03-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 722 Posts

I'm keeping my eye on this thread.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:11 AM

No, I did not. I bunted when a Jag came up available for parts.

I used to have a few 'in's at the local dealerships but with the economy what it is, the dealerships have been bought sold and resold so many times that I do not know anyone in there any more so my ability to 'peruse the books' so to speak is gone...