XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 12:09 AM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Front License Plate Bracket

I know, I know, it would be a travesty to put a front plate on an xk8/xkr but unfortunately in Idaho front plates are required. So far I haven't been pulled over but just in case I went to the local Jag dealer parts department and ordered a mounting bracket for a front license plate.

What I received had absolutely no instructions and it was just a piece of black plastic with some posts sticking out of the back that I was guessing would form fit the lower lip on the front bumper. Plus, it looks like I have to drill holes to mount it. Needless to say I've not yet done this as the piece of plastic is not form fitting and really doesn't seem to fit anwhere.

I'm pretty sure the parts guy ordered the right part as he took down the vin # of the car to make sure he got the right part.

Is there another type, possible something that attaches to existing bolts under the car?

If not, I might have to make one out of an erector set or something

Old 10-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default RE: Front License Plate Bracket

yup, thats it. That is the one that came with my car. You do have to drill holes into the two charcoal colored covers in order to mount it. It sucks. Texas dropped that law, so my car didn't need it. I took off the two covers, replaced w/ newly painted ones, and it looks like it is supposed to again.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I also have this kit as the previous owner included it with the car but I have not seriously considered putting it on yet. I feel your pain regarding how this would ruin the looks. I am in the People's Republic of California where they also require front plates. I have always thought this was a stupid requirement but, if someone has determined that there is some benefit to front plates, then why not have plates also on the sides of the cars where they certainly would be more visible than the front?

Anecdotally, it used to be that, at least in SoCal, you would not be stopped for things like window tint or no front plate but, rather, would be cited ONLY IF STOPPED FOR SOMETHING ELSE LIKE SPEEDING, ETC. Based on that unwritten practice, I drove my 95 Corvette for almost 13 years without a front plate (really kills the looks). I take basically the same route to work every day and there is a certain spot where a motorcycle cop waits to catch folks turning right on a certain residential street to avoid traffic (right turn not permitted at certain times). A couple of months ago I passed this cop and, to my utter amazement, he follows me and the lights go on. The sole reason he ticketed me was for no front plate. This is understood to be a totally chickens**t ticket and probably indicates he had not gotten his quota of catching right turn felons.

So I had to end up paying about $25 and wasting time to go to an inspection station once I installed the plate. Nevertheless, I am again taking chances with the Jaguar and have not yet installed the front plate.

Doug

Old 10-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: h20boy

yup, thats it. That is the one that came with my car. You do have to drill holes into the two charcoal colored covers in order to mount it. It sucks. Texas dropped that law, so my car didn't need it. I took off the two covers, replaced w/ newly painted ones, and it looks like it is supposed to again.

When did that happen? Ive been dreading putting that ghastly thing on my X Type. Ihavent been pulled over yet, but figured it was only a matter of time. My son was pulled over for speeding a couple months ago and told by the Dallas cop that he was in violation for not having a plate on front of his Lexus but didnt ticket him for that, only for doing 30 over the speed limit.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:12 PM

Drill... uggghhhh

I've been pulled over before for no front plate in Idaho but only got a warning. That was with a different car though, same situation where a front plate would ruin the look. The bracket for that car though bolted on underneath the car, no drilling required.

Guess I was hoping there was something similar for the Jag.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, very helpful but depressing.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:35 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

September 2007 passed

TX House Bill 1666

The following users liked this post:
woodlandsPRO (01-29-2020)
Old 09-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Texas
Texas license plate laws require the use of two license plates, one on the front of the vehicle and one to the rear. However, Texans are notorious for their state pride, which can be expressed through window or vehicle decals, car magnets, or even vehicle lettering.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

You could try an adhesive Front Plate e-type style.

In the UK front plates have always been compulsary, but this is a better look than the standard plate.

I tried an adamesh lowering plinth, below the mouth, but the speed bumps we have nearly ripped the nose off.

Front License Plate Bracket-speeding.jpg

Old 09-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts

82 mph? Despite having to install front plate in California, at least we don't have speed cameras. I too leave mine off, taking the chance. Don't think the surface lettering would pass muster here, we need the actual plate.
Cheers,
Steve

Old 09-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Originally Posted by smoggyx100
You could try an adhesive Front Plate e-type style.

In the UK front plates have always been compulsary, but this is a better look than the standard plate.

I tried an adamesh lowering plinth, below the mouth, but the speed bumps we have nearly ripped the nose off.

Attachment 12971
The plate shows up nicely in the picture!

Old 09-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Zip tie. I bought the plate to fix my California ticket (by an overzealous meter maid). It's not as permanent as drilling, but then, that's kinda the point. And I got the part pretty cheap off jagbits v dealer, for those who don't have the bracket yet.

I look at the aftermarket underside "flip" plates, but the xkr front end is already too low for most hills here in SF. While a better esthetic and more permanent, I'd rip it off a-la Hills of San Francisco car chase within a week.

Joanie (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Zip ties work!

Originally Posted by Crispy
Zip tie. I bought the plate to fix my California ticket (by an overzealous meter maid). It's not as permanent as drilling, but then, that's kinda the point. And I got the part pretty cheap off jagbits v dealer, for those who don't have the bracket yet.

I look at the aftermarket underside "flip" plates, but the xkr front end is already too low for most hills here in SF. While a better esthetic and more permanent, I'd rip it off a-la Hills of San Francisco car chase within a week.
Thank you so much for this advice, in NYC they look to give you a ticket for anything, I didn't want to ruin the look of the car and the zip ties worked perfectly!

Old 02-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put mine on with velcro and zip ties. I live on Long Island, NY,and they WILL pull you over for no plate. The hook-up I did works out well. No issues, as of right now......

Old 08-10-2014, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You live in texas and you say they dropped that Law, I been pulled over 5x in texas (near Dallas) and given a warning to get a front plate on my car. Is this law you speak of been revoked since 2007 and need now need 2 plates...

Old 09-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I live in pa, we dont require front plates, my car came with it on, can I remove it?
I hate the way it looks.... ugh

2002 jaguar s type 6.0

Old 09-06-2014, 08:58 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Zip ties and Gorilla tape!

Just back to Texas for a year after 10 years in expatriation. The Harris County tax office confirmed to me that, after a period of confusing and contradictory laws in Texas, front and rear plates are mandatory (when I xfered the title on my XKR in May 2014).

I put Gorilla Tape on the back of the plate to protect the grill, then zip tied the plate to the grill. I prefer the symmetrical look by having the plate centered on the grill rather than disrupting the oval lines of the grill by placing the plate lower

Rgds, Fred

Last edited by newXKRguy; 09-06-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Msterieus (07-05-2019)
Old 09-09-2014, 09:57 PM

Well, I still haven't put the front plate on my Jag but I sure get nervous driving it anywhere near an officer. I might try the zip tie trick as that sounds a lot less permanent.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:26 PM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by creativebush
Drill... uggghhhh

I've been pulled over before for no front plate in Idaho but only got a warning. That was with a different car though, same situation where a front plate would ruin the look. The bracket for that car though bolted on underneath the car, no drilling required.

Guess I was hoping there was something similar for the Jag.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, very helpful but depressing.

The method I used in the thread I linked to requires no drilling and also does not block airflow and is totally reversible.

Dave

Old 09-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default retractable plate

I purchased a retractable plate that mounts under the front bumper. I press a button and it pops out and I'm legal. If I do not want to see it lets say at a car show I press the button and it dissapears under the bumper. I will try and attach the video. You can find these kits all over ebay. I can send you the video if you want to see how it looks. Just send me your email. The file is too big for this site. sorry guys.

The following 2 users liked this post by convgto69:
weisberg (09-10-2014), woodlandsPRO (01-29-2020)
Old 09-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

the big question with your motorized retractable plate is...

how long have you had it? User mjlaris warned 3-4 months and may not work anymore so to get the manual one ($43) he referenced in the other thread

Retractable Hide Away License Plate Frame Bracket Holder Mount Kit | eBay

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Bracket