XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Rail

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Rail

My beautiful 2004 XK8 is in the garage - it started with heater hose replacement, turned into full hose replacements, new injector o-rings, and, now, they tell me (pretty reputable) that my fuel rail is leaking and the only fix is a new one. They've located a used one for $750, plus $350 labor.

Are there any creative fixes? If not, do these prices sound reasonable?

Thanks.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by rrgoldstein
My beautiful 2004 XK8 is in the garage - it started with heater hose replacement, turned into full hose replacements, new injector o-rings, and, now, they tell me (pretty reputable) that my fuel rail is leaking and the only fix is a new one. They've located a used one for $750, plus $350 labor.

Are there any creative fixes? If not, do these prices sound reasonable?

Thanks.

First off, unless you were smelling gas before you took your car to the shop, it is quite possible that THEY cracked your fuel rail while removing or replacing your injector o-rings. What prompted them to replace those o-rings?

The cost is so high, I believe, because the fuel rails on both sides are integrated into the intake manifold...it's all one piece. Do you know exactly where the rail is leaking?

Old 12-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

List price for a new fuel rail for your car is pretty pricey at over $1400 :2004 JAGUAR XK8 Parts - Direct JPLV Porsche Parts.com

$750 for a used one seem the high side, labor seems OK.

Is it leaking at a damper? This has been on ongoing saga for one of our members recently (long read):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...omg-noo-76526/

and https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rt-deux-85186/

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-18-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Link correction
Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 AM
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Yikes, We've done dozens of heater hose replacements but never seen the need to touch the fuel rails. It all comes out with the intake as an assembly.

As far as used parts prices, quality inventoried used parts often fetch 50 - 60% of the new price depending on demand.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

I'd go to the shop and ask to see the damper and be shown where it leaks.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Ummm ... if they are already doing injector o-rings, why would there be an extra $350 in labour?

Old 12-20-2012, 07:12 PM

Thank you for all the responses. Yes, there was an existing smell of fuel before I brought the car in for all the hose repairs, so, I don't think the shop caused the fuel rail problem. (They thought it might have been an o-ring on an injector, so, they changed a few.)

I did read, with great interest, the trials and tribulations of Maxwdg with regard to his fuel rail problem. I am certain that I have the identical problem as he did, namely, the fuel damper. Just as did his, mine leaks with significant drips, but only after starting the engine cold.

Neither I, nor my shop, will go to his extremes of fashioning a cap for the damper, but, I have found a used fuel rail ($550) and will have that installed. But first, tonight, I intend to gently try to hammer down (I intend to use a punch and hammer) the clips on the damper and see if I can gain any improvement. I'll know tomorrow morning when I try to start it cold. If not, I'll have the new (used) rail installed.

Thanks again for the help. Greatly Appreciated.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Super good luck to you rrgoldstein!!!

I have not posted about the result of my fuel rail attempted fix - because frankly, I have not finished putting the car back together! It has been busy around the maxwdg household (holidays) and this week, a massive snow storm has left my coupe sitting in the garage for sure. I'm nearly finished putting it back together - but I'm taking some time to modify the intake system for the future water/methanol injection that I will debut this coming spring.

Be happy that you have an "8" and not the "R"... At least you can "get" to your fuel rail without a massive endeavor.

You've seen my leaky damper thread - and as you may have read, I think my leaking problem was the O-ring that sealed the damper. I still suspect the alcohol in our fuel as the main culprit - particularly as more and more of us are having the leaky fuel rail problems.... I dunno ????

Again, best of luck to you!

Last edited by maxwdg; 12-21-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 AM

Mr rrgoldstein, I hope that your attempt to fix your leaking fuel rail has been successful.

I'm pleased to be saying I have successfully completed the repair of my fuel leak.

See this page:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e3/#post651983

Fixing the leak required a ton of tedious work, a lot of time and a bit of trial and error - not to mention a father-in-law that is a fine machinist - but, I have been lucky to be blessed with dogged determination, a bit of skill and a lot of luck. Though many times I wish it were money I was blessed with instead!

I certainly wish that I had $$ to pay someone else to handle problems like this - 'cause it was a bitch to fix!

I hope that my documentation of the trials and tribulations I have been through will help any others that have leaking fuel pulsation dampers decide how they want to proceed. These forums have been the savior of my gearhead hobby! I couldn't do it without everybody here!

Old 12-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Default Me too… fuel rail problem

HELP!!! I was just told that I need new Fuel Rail (part # AJ811304) for my '06 XK8 convertible. BUT, part no longer available. What do I do??? Called new vendor, SNG Barratt, and told no longer exists. So did my dealer. Ideas? Can mine be refurbished? By who?

Old 12-19-2013, 09:39 AM

For me, the real question would be: Do I really need to REPLACE the fuel rail and WHY? It is possible that it could be repaired. Or in fact, it may not be the rail leaking itself, it is more likely an O-ring on either the pulsation dampers or an injector. I found a replacement rail on eBay about a year ago for a reasonable price. There are thousands of AJ-V8 engines in salvage yards these days. Best of luck to you.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:42 AM

Just spoke to my mechanic and he said it is from the damper (not knowing about these things, my apologies if I am not relaying answer properly.) Not an o-ring problem(?). He said he really would rather not do a repair due to the uncertainty of result; but that would be a "last" resort since walking away from the car is NOT an acceptable alternative. So far, found nothing used @ jag heaven, coventrywest, xkunlimited… waiting on a friend to help e-bay since I am not a user of that.
Thanks for your input, and let me know if my comments above do not make sense… Later in the process, I may ask for you to communicate with my guy. He really is helpful - a dealership's senior shop guy - and has been there for me both in & out of the dealer's confines. Happy Xmas!