XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full LED DRL Headlights And Tail Lights Aftermarket Manufacture Soon

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Yep Dave is a nice fella. Not cheap but usually comes up with the goods. Had quite a few things from him.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Would you guys want sequential led turn signals on the headlights or prefer switchback led drls for the headlights ? Far as tail lights would you prefer sequential tails ?

Old 05-01-2019, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

Frank,

Even though you live in Malvern, it still a pretty good jump up where Dave is in Scotland....Have you ever been up there where he is? Sure looks cold to me....

Dave has never let me down until last month when he had an Ad for BBS valve cores for my "Montreal's" and when I ordered them he said he didn't have them...Mine are OK but they are like 15 or so years old and I thought it a good idea to buy some spares....Do you know of some place over there on your "Big ole Island" that might have such a thing as "BBS" Valve Cores? I only need (4) but if one of them goes out...…..boom!!!! Orange space-saver until I can find one.....

I saw an ad from a Guy over there wo said he had some Stainless Steels ones but his Website didn't work.....But that tells me that someone is making them....I appreciate any help you can give me.....

Also, my opinion of this Guy's Fancy Lights is Pooh!..... What they need to concentrate on is making the XK8-XKR Tail Lights work with LED Bulbs.....They can be dumbed down now with resistors so that they will work but even that way they still Pop the "Tail Light Out" warning way to often.....These Guys should be working on something like that or even things like that Photo of the Black XKR with the LED bulbs set in a Circle with One in the Middle...Now something like that, not those Halos, would get my Ticker running and my Credit Card working it's self out.....Have you seen the new Porsche's Multi-Beam LED Headlights? Now that's what I'm talking about! Something like that would make my Credit Card start smoking! Got to be a way to make something Slick like that for our High Beams or if they worked at it, maybe even for the Low Beams.....

How do you feel about these ideas? What do you think?

Billy Clyde in Houston

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (05-01-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 148 Posts

I will follow this initiative with great interest !

Old 05-02-2019, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Frank,

Even though you live in Malvern, it still a pretty good jump up where Dave is in Scotland....Have you ever been up there where he is? Sure looks cold to me....

Dave has never let me down until last month when he had an Ad for BBS valve cores for my "Montreal's" and when I ordered them he said he didn't have them...Mine are OK but they are like 15 or so years old and I thought it a good idea to buy some spares....Do you know of some place over there on your "Big ole Island" that might have such a thing as "BBS" Valve Cores? I only need (4) but if one of them goes out...…..boom!!!! Orange space-saver until I can find one.....

I saw an ad from a Guy over there wo said he had some Stainless Steels ones but his Website didn't work.....But that tells me that someone is making them....I appreciate any help you can give me.....

Also, my opinion of this Guy's Fancy Lights is Pooh!..... What they need to concentrate on is making the XK8-XKR Tail Lights work with LED Bulbs.....They can be dumbed down now with resistors so that they will work but even that way they still Pop the "Tail Light Out" warning way to often.....These Guys should be working on something like that or even things like that Photo of the Black XKR with the LED bulbs set in a Circle with One in the Middle...Now something like that, not those Halos, would get my Ticker running and my Credit Card working it's self out.....Have you seen the new Porsche's Multi-Beam LED Headlights? Now that's what I'm talking about! Something like that would make my Credit Card start smoking! Got to be a way to make something Slick like that for our High Beams or if they worked at it, maybe even for the Low Beams.....

Billy Clyde in Houston
Yes I have been up to Scotland more than once. Not to Davids place though. We had a saying over here that in Scotland its Cold, wet, snowy, windy and in Winter its even worse. Reminds me that I must book my place on the next Haggis hunt up there.

Just done a quick search on UK Amazon and Ebay, for the BBS Valve cores, over here. Though not dozens there are some on there to buy I would be very surprised if there were none for sale in the States somewhere.

I looked at several options for my lights. Mainly the main front ones. LED's were my first thought but after one or two members said they were disappointed in them I tried these guys in UK https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/car-bulb-finder.html bought their HID for the main beams and more powerful, but legal, lights for the others. Should have done it years ago. Makes a BIG difference to night driving.

As for the options of the new systems that is being offered I think everyone knows my opinion on them. The greatest value on classic cars is originality. If that does not matter to you and you think these new lights will enhance your cars looks then great. Do it. Not for me though.

I like your car btw. Mods and all. Hope you kept the original bits for future buyers.

Last edited by frankc; 05-02-2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Frank,

Just turned on the computer (It's Saturday here) and had a note from Dave @ DCR advising me that he was going to be sending me a set of BBS Valve Cores later this week as he was receiving an order Monday! Apparently he has a supplier...This relieved a lot of pressure on me.....So, I thought I would pass this on to you as you may know someone that could use a set.

Yesterday I received my Diagnostics Kit from some Guy over there...It's comes installed in an older DELL Laptop, along with a Mongoose Cable and it has the IDS-SDD Program for Jaguar Land Rover. As I learn how to use it I will be able to plug it into the Port under the Dash and determine what is wrong with the XKR and what to replace or whatever. I spent about 2 years and probably $7,000.00 to $8,00.00 trying to find out what was wrong with my Jag...Finally, I found a Garage that had access to one of these and immediately determined it was the ECU......Now, if something goes wrong, all I have to do is plug this system into the Car and turn it on! Then fix it myself...I found an ECU from the same Model in a Wrecking Yard and they installed it and ran this program to make sure everything was working right and off I went...So far so good, I've had a problem all along of the Jag being hard to start and almost impossible to start, when it is filled-up with Gas....I learned some time back to only put about 3/4 of a tank in it.....Maybe, I will be able to find what is going on there!

OK! what's a Haggis?

Billy Clyde

Billy Clyde

Last edited by bcprice36; 05-04-2019 at 12:05 PM.
DavidYau (05-04-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member

Frank,

Just turned on the computer (It's Saturday here) and had a note from Dave @ DCR advising me that he was going to be sending me a set of BBS Valve Cores later this week as he was receiving an order Monday! Apparently he has a supplier...This relieved a lot of pressure on me.....So, I thought I would pass this on to you as you may know someone that could use a set.

Yesterday I received my Diagnostics Kit from some Guy over there...It's comes installed in an older DELL Laptop, along with a Mongoose Cable and it has the IDS-SDD Program for Jaguar Land Rover. As I learn how to use it I will be able to plug it into the Port under the Dash and determine what is wrong with the XKR and what to replace or whatever. I spent about 2 years and probably $7,000.00 to $8,00.00 trying to find out what was wrong with my Jag...Finally, I found a Garage that had access to one of these and immediately determined it was the ECU......Now, if something goes wrong, all I have to do is plug this system into the Car and turn it on! Then fix it myself...I found an ECU from the same Model in a Wrecking Yard and they installed it and ran this program to make sure everything was working right and off I went...So far so good, I've had a problem all along of the Jag being hard to start and almost impossible to start, when it is filled-up with Gas....I learned some time back to only put about 3/4 of a tank in it.....Maybe, I will be able to find what is going on there!

OK! what's a Haggis?

Billy Clyde

Billy Clyde
Funnily enough I was speaking to him, via email, and he said he had to pop out to send an order to the states. I wonder if it was your little parcel? Funny world.

Ok regarding harder to start or impossible to start after filling up with gas. Next time this happens try removing your gas/petrol cap then trying again. Let me know how you get on.

With regard to "Now, if something goes wrong, all I have to do is plug this system into the Car and turn it on! Then fix it myself.." Good luck! I spent hours in the car with that system. First off just getting it up and running then working out what all the Jaguar references mean. You will see what I am on about when you get it. NOT trying to put you off just preparing you.

When you do get it working you will, as you say, be able to correct all sorts of things. I managed to work out how to fix my reversing mirror and a few other jobs. Preserver with it. I am sure you will get there in the end.

Its 4.46am where you are almost lunchtime here. Going to walk the dog, sun is shining. Though I expect your used to that where you are. Thanks for keeping me updated.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

Whats a haggis? Sassenach!

There are two versions. If you ever visit Scotland you may be invited to eat one. If you think that may be a possibility do not read this............. https://www.britannica.com/topic/haggis

It looks like this after its shot and cooked.

Before its shot it looks like this

Last edited by frankc; 05-05-2019 at 04:50 PM.
DavidYau (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hee-Hee! - Hee-hee hee!…..Frank....you got me...…...good!

Billy Clyde

Old 05-06-2019, 09:52 AM

Back to the topic guys. Does our XK HID headlights have self adjustment ?

Old 05-06-2019, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

But Frank, if I fill it up and the Gas-Cap thing doesn't work...I'd be stuck again! Currently, I only fill it to 3/4 Tank and no longer have the problem.....I just don't know what to do! Last time I had to have a couple gallons syphoned off to get it to start.....

BC in Houston

Old 05-06-2019, 03:39 PM
Received 223 Likes on 116 Posts

Frank,

Billy Clyde in Houston
Billy, I got my valve bolts for my montreal wheels from PW motorsport. It's kind of a wonky website, but they're german based (same as BBS), and the parts were readily in stock and appear to be original quality. Just in case you wanted to check that out. They also have the regular bolts, valve caps, and the valve adapter.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

Hey! Mr. Sandwich,

Thanks for the email! I jumped on it and found PW motorsport right away! They in fact have the BBS Valve Cores that I wanted.....Problem is Dave @ DCR sent an email Friday that he was receiving some this week and was going to fill my order from a couple weeks ago! "Feast or Famine", what can I say? I'm glad to get PW's email address as they have a bunch of BBS stuff.....

Thanks again! BC in Houston

Old 05-06-2019, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Lightbulb HID Low Beams are fitted on most XK8's & all XKR's

Originally Posted by ftypedreams
Back to the topic guys. Does our XK HID headlights have self adjustment ?
ftype,
All XKR's and most XK8's come from the Factory with HID Low Beams D1S Bulbs and Ballast but some XK8's came with Halogen Low Beams. All of them came with Halogen High Beams.. Those that came with HID Low Beams all have auto-leveling....If that's what you call Self-Adjusting! Every time the Low Beams are turned-on, they rise-up and Level themselves... Pretty amazing to watch....then the Beam gets brighter as they warm-up! What the XK8 XKR needs is something for the High Beams...Most people have replaced the Halogen Bulbs with an LED Kit which works so much better! If you get the right LED Bulb, that has the narrow stalk and the LED Chips in the right place to match the Reflector, then they are Super! But lately, we have been exposed to a different type High Beam, which has several LED Bulbs in a circle and (1) inside!...Also Porsche has come out with a new square Highlight with 4 LED Bulbs at the corners...I've not seen one at night or on Bright....but they look pretty good and look like something that could be fitted inside the XK8-XKR High Beam area. Ideally, they would really make our Headlights "POP"! I look forward to someone making up a set of those soon.....Why don't you have your Guys spend time on something that XK8-XKR owner's would buy? No one wants to change out their Headlights for some Plastic looking things that aren't Jaguar...They want to keep the Car as is...as it is Beautiful the way it is! What they need to do is improve what we've got....

You have to remember our Jaguar has the CanBus system and you have to work around it..Can't forget about it as it is the system...but it can be worked around and the "Lights Out" signal can be "fooled"! that's where your Guys should be spending their time....there and in our Tail Lights.....Jaguar made a Big step forward when they designed the "Victory Edition" Lens as they did when they designed the "Jeweled" Lens.....they were so far superior to the original plain taillight, it is amazing! If they had come out with the "Jeweled" Lens back in 1996...They would have sold twice as many XK8's as they did! Enough said!

OK? Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 05-07-2019, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

ftype,
All XKR's and most XK8's come from the Factory with HID Low Beams D1S Bulbs and Ballast but some XK8's came with Halogen Low Beams.

OK? Billy Clyde in Houston
All XKR,s were not equipped with HID low beams. Low beam H1 halogen and hi beam HB3 Halogen at least on my own XKR 2000MY.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:53 AM

The new headlights will befall led low beam and high beam with drl feature. I am not going to name the manufacture publicly right now until the manufacture lets me know important details within 2 weeks regarding the project. But lets say they manufacture full led headlights for a lot of brands and they put out top quality products. Being that the fact its almost impossible to finding a set of poem headlamps and tail lamps used in great shape for a decent price and some of lenses have been out of stock on hid models that says a lot. So with an aftermarket manufacture it will change the dynamics drastically far as price and for the updated modern look of our XK's.

User 070620 (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 462 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by baxtor
All XKR,s were not equipped with HID low beams. Low beam H1 halogen and hi beam HB3 Halogen at least on my own XKR 2000MY.
Same on my 2001 XKR - I think he must have been referring to the 4.2 cars.

My UK spec car also has the manual headlight leveling control on the dashboard and the low-beams are terrible.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member

But Frank, if I fill it up and the Gas-Cap thing doesn't work...I'd be stuck again! Currently, I only fill it to 3/4 Tank and no longer have the problem.....I just don't know what to do! Last time I had to have a couple gallons syphoned off to get it to start.....

BC in Houston
Billy. I think we are unfairly hijacking this guys thread with another subject, sorry about that. So any questions, replies etc will have to be done by PM. So my last comment on the gas subject on here. I think the tank is forming a vacuum when the tank is full. The pump takes the fuel out of the tank and air should replace it. If it cant it will not move from the tank and the car gets starved of fuel and will not start. Get a straw. Suck up some water into it. Block off the top. Water will stay in the straw. Remove finger from tap water drops. Same principle. Hence remove fuel cap to allow air in? It could also be your carbon canisters. Some Jags have two some have just one. These too can get blocked over time. You also get the fuel tank being sucked in, some have even had split tanks because of it.

Some reading for you https://jec.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11191 changing the carbon canisters cured mine. (touch wood etc) My reflections at that time https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...l=1#post859456

Some more https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...l=1#post516592

Hope you sort it. )

Old 05-08-2019, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

fType,

I 'm looking forward to seeing these Lights and I hope they are everything you think they are going to be! You never know what is coming until you see them! I will be happy to let you know what I think and I'll be fair about it ! Hope they are everything you say and more!

Billy Clyde

Old 05-08-2019, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

Baxtor & dibbit,

Sorry Guys, I was talking about the American 4.2 Cars...but you know Jaguar....You see something different every time you go around the Block! Example: I've never heard of them having a Headlight Leveling device on the Dash.....Could you send us a photo of that? Now, that's something new to put in the Book!

Over here, I've never seen a XK8 or XKR set-up any other way....but it's been so long since I had the 1998 XK8 that I don't remember how it was set-up. but I do know that the 2000 XKR had HID Low Beams and Halogen High Beams, as I changed out the original Halogens with some that had some type of Gas in them that made them burn much brighter than the stock bulb... It made some difference but not much! The 2003 had the same set-up as the 2000 and the 2005 originally came the same way....until I changed out the Halogen High Beams for the LED's....

Billy Clyde in Houston.

Billy Clyde

Quick Reply: Full LED DRL Headlights And Tail Lights Aftermarket Manufacture Soon