Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm thinking about jumping ship

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default I'm thinking about jumping ship

No, not to another brand. I loved my Jag, but, I'm considering a 2007+ model. Not too sure I can afford it, but I like the better NAV system, upgraded stereo, the aluminum chasis, etc.

Personally, I still like the looks of the older style, all that wood, and just pleasing lines, at least to my eye.

What would you guys do? If you could swap for a 2007+, would you do it?

I will have to stretch my budget to the limit, but, I'm considering it.

What do you think?

Old 06-17-2012, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

Without a doubt the newer style is a better car technically wise.

Personally the 'old' style appeals to me most as it has more soul somehow, and think is more timeless as well as I can still enjoy the lines after so many years. Of course the extra power adds to the equation.

Test drive the newer one I would suggest and you will know which one gives you the best satisfaction.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

No. Even though I'm envious of the performance and the automatic tonneau cover, the newer model just doesn't do much for me, style-wise.

I'd rather upgrade to twin screw and LSD and have similar performance.

If I were buying a newer car, would be one of the Audi RS or, quite possibly, an Aston. None of the R8 Sypders have depreciated enough for me to warrant a purchase, and I don't think I'd do another hardtop. I'm addicted to my convertible...

Old 06-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

For me the look/lines of the XK8 aren't there although i do like the new models

Old 06-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

In the last month Tina and I have test drove an 08 XK and R. There are some nice improvements. Larger engine then my 2000. As far as more power in the XK i did not notice much difference, exhaust has a nice pur, less wind buffeting with the top down, loved the covered convet. cover. Well the R speaks for it self. Tina gave it some gas and the re end broke and scared her. Well that ended the R. With the top down you have very little boot space. Personal i like to keep the top down and not have the back seat load will stuff for a week ender. When we looked in the boot on both cars the spair tire locking bracket were broken and the brackets to the battery and pump, and we complain about plastic in our models. As far as the looks older is better. The comments we get are the XK8 is beautiful and the XK is bad a$$. I will take beauty over muscle any day. Boy would it be nice to have both!!!! Jim

Old 06-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Friarshuck
No, not to another brand. I loved my Jag, but, I'm considering a 2007+ model. Not too sure I can afford it, but I like the better NAV system, upgraded stereo, the aluminum chasis, etc.

Personally, I still like the looks of the older style, all that wood, and just pleasing lines, at least to my eye.

What would you guys do? If you could swap for a 2007+, would you do it?

I will have to stretch my budget to the limit, but, I'm considering it.

What do you think?

If you still are fond of the 2003, and the nav and stereo are two of your main motivations to upgrade...consider spending a couple of K to just upgrade those in your existng car. H2Oboy's and mjlaris' upgrades are a great example of what could be done.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-17-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

I agree that technically the new XKs are superior but that doesn't make up for the looks. My 2002 has plenty of hp and I'd rather put a few $s into it to bring it up to date than give up those looks. There is no other car that has the style and class of an X100 style XK8/R.

Mark

The following users liked this post:
Mexk8 (06-17-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't like the look of the new XK's especially those "Dog ears" in front.

I love the vert cover on the older XK8/R it gives it a real classic look.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

The looks aren't there but the technology is. Watch the Jaguar episode of Speedvision about the manufacturing of the newer XK. It changed my mind on the newer model. That said, I love the looks of the earlier models and I won't get rid of mine.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
Without a doubt the newer style is a better car technically wise.

Personally the 'old' style appeals to me most as it has more soul somehow, and think is more timeless as well as I can still enjoy the lines after so many years. Of course the extra power adds to the equation.
You took the words out of my mouth Avos ,

All the best ,

Nik

Old 06-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

I would never go newer that a 2006. To me the newer models just don't look like Jaguars and don't stand out. They are too bulky in the nose section and just not sleek like a Jag is supposed to be. Being sleek is why the E type is still considered the best looking car ever built.

EZDriver

Old 06-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Hmmmmmmm....

I bought my '97 becasue I love the body lines and relation back to the old XKE of the past. Since I don't drive it that much I don't have any complaints about performance, but I am going to put in a Satellite radio system or at least a portable unit. The ancient top tonneau is my only aggravation....but if the trade-off is to lose trunk space I'd still want to stay with this design. For me, it would be a 2003 or maybe 2004, but not beyond.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mjlaris
I agree that technically the new XKs are superior but that doesn't make up for the looks.
Exactly. I tried out the new model but couldn't get past the styling issues, especially those butt-ugly headlights. The point they make right at the wheel arch makes for a really unpleasant juxtaposition. Note that they have been revised (slightly) for 2012... only took them five years! And the bizarre taillights aren't much better.

Name:  jag-xk-light.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  8.2 KB

Obviously the new car is improved in many ways (and I fit in it better) but I cannot fall in love with it... case closed.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Someone creative/skilled could come up with an easy fix for the headlights.

With that said, still doesn't have the je ne sais quois of the earlier XKs. Unlike the earlier XKs though, the newer ones look better as convertibles than they do as coupes.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Honestly, I seriously considered that. Just couldn't come up with a solution which would be weather- and speed-proof and still look good... and not unduly obscure the marker light etc. It's an interesting problem though, for someone clever and motivated enough!

Old 06-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have no desire to switch to the newer body style. The previous generation is one of those rare timeless designs and the new one doesn't even come close IMO.

As others have suggested, the nav system & stereo can be upgraded.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCSign
The looks aren't there but the technology is. Watch the Jaguar episode of Speedvision about the manufacturing of the newer XK. It changed my mind on the newer model. That said, I love the looks of the earlier models and I won't get rid of mine.
I loved that episode. It is the interior that lacks appeal for me. I would miss the leather and wood.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Funny is I have been thinking the same thing. I did however really miss driving my 2000 for 2 weeks so im back in love again but.......I do a neck snap everytime I see a newer one. Plus, as much as we love our X100 if you post this same question on the 06 and newer board you will hear just the opposite.

I tend to like the wood and leather. I havent driven a newer one yet but have been eyeing some newer coupes though. Good luck in your decision, either way its still a Jaguar.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the opinions guys. I really don't disagree with any of you. There is something about the old design that is............well,.......timeless. I fully expect that they will become collectors cars. They are beautiful.

That being said, I have a strong desire to get all that new technology. The main ones for me are a top that hides itself, an actual "upgradable" nav system and adaptive cruise control is easier to find on the new ones. The aluminum body structure is also a plus for me.

The drawbacks are..........I can only afford an xk, although, I understand they are pretty quick. The xkr is out of my price range and I'm not sure that I'm willing to take the step down in the power dept.

I'm still on the fence and if the right one comes along in either catagory, I'll probably jump at it. I was looking seriously at an "04 xkr portfolio. Thing is, I decided I didn't really want the recaro seats. I liked my old ones. Also, it was the blue one and that is not my favorite color. In spite of that, it was nice looking.

What ever I end up with, will be a Jaguar. Once bitten, it's nearly impossible to go back. I'll most likely still hang out on this forum as there are a bunch of genuinly nice and knowledgable people here.

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.

Darrell

Old 06-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

I think the move to an 07-09 would be a relatively small step, other than the chassis of course. If you really want to step up you need to get a 2010 or better yet a 5.0L - in addition to the technology the interiors are vastly improved, like metal knobs and stitched leather dashes etc... If you were considering a portfolio you may like this posting on e-bay I recently came across. Jaguar : XKR VICTORY EDITION Jaguar : XKR VICTORY EDITION | eBay (that said, iI am quite partial to the Victory Edition)

FYI I have been looking at values lately and I am starting to see some 07s going for less than the 06s sure they have higher mileage but that was my quick biased observation.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about jumping ship