Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox/Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Gearbox/Transmission

Gearbox/transmission .XKR

On hard acceleration up a steep hill I get all the right noise from the engine and rev counter go`s up past 4500/5000 ,but there is little change in the cars speed ?
If you lift off there is a surge forward as the gearbox changes up.
I have over 100000 miles on the clock and no mention of a gearbox oil change.

advice please. Oil change, or worst ?

Old 02-08-2014, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

We haven't heard much of failures of the later transmission so at least that is a good sign. Sounds more like low on ATF. For some reason(s) that I have yet to understand there seems to be opinions that high mileage fluid should not be changed. I would change it if it was mine.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Agreed. An ATF drain-and-fill would be a priority for me given your current mileage....

Old 02-10-2014, 11:57 AM

Well I phoned my Independent Jag garage today .To be told not to waste money changing the oil and filter (He said that was £450 + vat) as it was the cones in the clutch and that it would need a new /reconditioned gearbox costing £2200 + vat.He did say in fairness that he would take some readings, but was certain it was a broken gearbox?

The engine with sport mode engaged will stop revving at 4000 rpm and the car stops accelerating, if I lift off the car will keep on accelerating but in a higher gear?

Old 02-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Well, it certainly could be a complete failure but your comment about ' . . . going up a steep hill . . . . certainly sounds like the pressure pump pick up is sucking air when the ATF shifts to the rear of the pan.

Any sign of leaks on garage floor or drive way?.

Why don't you ask them to at least verify that the trans is full to specifications. That couldn't take but a few minutes. They don't even have to let the trans cool to the correct temp. Open the fill port and if only a little or no ATF comes out that is the problem. If it does then it may well be the full monty.

The following users liked this post:
bt_bob1 (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by test point
Well, it certainly could be a complete failure but your comment about ' . . . going up a steep hill . . . . certainly sounds like the pressure pump pick up is sucking air when the ATF shif ts to the rear of the pan.

Any sign of leaks on garage floor or drive way?.

Why don't you ask them to at least verify that the trans is full to specifications. That couldn't take but a few minutes. They don't even have to let the trans cool to the correct temp. Open the fill port and if only a little or no ATF comes out that is the problem. If it does then it may well be the full monty .o
I have taken it out for a run The box engages reverse perfectly, it engages all gears smoothly I then tried it in manual and it would not rev over 3000 , then I noticed a red flashing light on D. I stopped and switched off the engine,then restart and the flashing was gone ????drove home and the gearbox was again working okay again, except not going above 2500 -3000 revs.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

There is a 3000 rev limiter on the XKR. No CEL? Get your owners manual out and find out what the red flashing light means.

If the rev limiter is engaging in gear the output shaft sensor becomes a question and I would have surely thought that that would turn on the CEL.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

If you read around these forums, you'll see that our valve bodies are what typically begins to fail...not the hard parts. If you're fluid is not low, you could still be looking at only a rebuilt ZF valve body replacement, which isn't THAT bad, in comparison.

Now, a flashing D on your gear selector, that may be something more serious. You definitely need your codes read to see what is going on there.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:37 AM

On taking my car to a independent he spotted that the hose between the S/C and ecu had developed a hole He has ordered the part about £8 $12 .But is so busy he cannot do the job for 2 weeks
How difficult is it to remove the S/C and the bits, to get access to change this hose

Old 02-18-2014, 05:49 AM
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

So fingers crossed the g/box is O.K. Does this hose carry oil or is it for air? Have you looked at it to see the hole yourself? Are you handy with the spanners? Can you seal ( self vulcanising tape/duck tape ) the hole so you can try the car again and verify if this is the problem? This would only work if the hose was for air obviously, if its for oil you would need to top up to the correct level. IMHO worth doing if you have to wait for over 2 weeks though, I would have to try it to put my mind at rest.
Hope it works out for you.

ArtyH

Old 02-18-2014, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bt_bob1
On taking my car to a independent he spotted that the hose between the S/C and ecu had developed a hole He has ordered the part about £8 $12 . But is so busy he cannot do the job for 2 weeks
How difficult is it to remove the S/C and the bits, to get access to change this hose
'Hose' to the ECU (ECM)? Hope you misunderstood rather than that being the tech's diagnosis.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:08 AM

Thankfully there was nothing wrong with the gearbox it was a small hose off the back of the S/C with a hole in it. the one on the engine oil fill side.It has been contaminated with oil and had swollen up and burst, Hence the acceleration stopping at about 4000 revs and surging forward as you lifted off and the car changing up a gear.