XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Generator suppression module... can I go without it :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 02:39 PM
Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Generator suppression module... can I go without it :)

I was stupid enought to perform an engine swap on my XK practically by myself, although I am doing it at a shop, where the guys are not very familiar with any jaguars So far all that is left is to connect all the wiring and tubes back, which I’ll do on Monday. But two connectors baffled me today just before signing off. One I think I got where it was from, but the other one was a mistery, as I remembered to remove it but couldn’t find where to put it back on the new engine.

As I understand the lead comes from the generator suppression module, which the donor car obviously didn’t have (doing LHD to RHD engine swap if it matters... it did for the hydraulic pump ). I think it’s alternator does not have a place for the plug, and I’ve already bolted the engine and the tranny back in place and am not sure how easy it will be to swap the alternators.

Does this generator exist anywhere in the cars ECU, and will it complain about it? Is it any good of an extra to make the effort and keep it? And of course is this actually what I think it is or something completely different

I’ll post a swap thread as soon as I’m finished

Last edited by kainy; 08-25-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Kainy,
as I recall, the generator suppression module is pretty much a capacitor to ground. It passes anything above DC to ground, eliminating any whine you might hear in your radio.

if I remembered correctly, your only risk is noisy background whine that is engine speed dependant.

if I don't have this right, someone will surely set us straight. On that topic: are these car's electronics so sensitive that a little AC voltage would do anything more than i mentioned? I doubt it but, hey its good to check.

john

The following users liked this post:
kainy (09-01-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 01:15 AM

Nice. Makes sense. I actually have this issue with my Polo where after upgrading the sound system and adding an amplifier, I now have a high pitch, revs dependant, sound when the car is running, and I did suspect it was coming from the alternator. My first question to the guy who installed it was “can’t we put a capacitor to cancel out the noise”, but he wasn’t very keen on the idea Apparantly I wasn’t too far off.

I do plan to upgrade the sound system in the xk too, but buying a donor car, kinda postponed that a bit Still if I can replace the alternator with not much work, I’ll do it. Or may be there is a way to connect it to this alternator, even without the factory leads?

Old 08-26-2018, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

What John said.
I wondered whether it had been relocated in the later cars, as it makes access difficult for removing the alternator and few people have complained about it. JTIS doesn't think so, though. Perhaps they just get left off.

Since you already have the suppressor, you could make up a mini-loom if you can get hold of a suitable connector. One lead goes to ground, the other to the large connector on the back of the alternator. Getting to the latter, however, is a bit of a challenge as you'll likely need to remove the suppressor & alternator again to do so

kainy (09-01-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 02:51 PM

I’m using a donor car from the same year (97), although it is a RHD. I’m still not sure if it actually has one, too, as I figured it when I got home, and will check tomorrow. Also I still think I have pretty good access, as I haven’t put the fans back yet, and the car is still on the jack. After I managed to remove the hydraulic pump before lifting the engine as the feeding pipe couldn’t have been unscrewed, I’m doubting the alternator will cause me more trouble But if it is too much of a hassle, I’ll just connect it as you’ve suggested. Currently I’m more anxious if it will start after all this

Old 08-27-2018, 04:38 PM

It was simpler than I thought Yes the donor car didn’t have it, but the original alternator just had two wires and a plug added to the positive lead and one of the two extra bolts on the back. So I just removed it from the old alternator and without too much hassle installed it onto the donor one. I also did manage to start the car today (first try) and after I adjust the gear shift cable (which I forgot to check before putting back the exhaust ) it will be all set.

But there is something else bothering me and I didn’t want to open a new thread for it does anybody know where this solenoid goes to, as I started dismantling the car after a shop had removed the lids to check the chain and I wasn’t the one to remove it from where it came The donor car didn’t have it, and the car now runs fine without it

Old 08-28-2018, 09:04 AM

False alarm, sorry These are fake “plugs” which simulate that the car has the adaptive dampers, where it actually doesn’t at the moment.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

While helping another out, I came across this. Has good description of the suppressor with picture
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-stuck-91804/

John

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
alanroberts50 (09-02-2018), kainy (09-01-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 12:32 PM

Thank you I sorted it out and it ran perfectly, sadly for less than 48 hours before the gearbox gave a “fault” error and went in restricted mode the first time it went away in half an hour just sitting, but the second time is now permanent and I was worried about the suppressor

Old 09-01-2018, 06:31 PM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
While helping another out, I came across this. Has good description of the suppressor with picture
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-stuck-91804/

John
Many thanks John,
I think my suppressor may have gone bad causing a whine most noticeable when radio is on AM. Does a bad suppressor in any way affect the alternator charging rate?

Old 09-02-2018, 01:12 AM

You should be able to test both cases, easily. The suppressor has a plug between itself and the alternator. Detach it and see if the noise changes in any way. If the noise increases, then it is working, but either not good enough, or you have another source of the noise which is somewhere else in the system. The other test is to connect a voltmeter to the battery before starting the car. Look how the voltage will increase when you start the car. I am not sure, but I think anything above 13.6V should be fine.

There are several other ways to diagnose where the noise is coming from, and mostly they require unplugging the system at different stages, until the noise goes away, so you can figure where it happens.

alanroberts50 (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by alanroberts50
Does a bad suppressor in any way affect the alternator charging rate?
No

The following 2 users liked this post by michaelh:
alanroberts50 (09-02-2018), Johnken (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kainy
Thank you I sorted it out and it ran perfectly, sadly for less than 48 hours before the gearbox gave a “fault” error and went in restricted mode the first time it went away in half an hour just sitting, but the second time is now permanent and I was worried about the suppressor
Kainy,
Check for codes and post back what you find in a new thread.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:52 PM

Yes, that is my intention. Today I’m going to the shop to see if they’ve had any progress, and if they didn’t have any, I’ll just give the car to the local dealer for them to try figuring it out. As soon as I get it consistently up and running, I’ll post a thread with the hole swapping ordeal

Old 09-04-2018, 07:19 AM

I'm gonna get more info later today, but the car is now running again, after the shop found out that a PCB (not sure yet in which module) split somewhere and power was cut to the TCM. It is a strange coincidence, but... I'll probably drive it like that for a while and if it holds with the fix, I'll then get the same module from the donor car and replace it.