XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good leather seat skin source. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Good leather seat skin source. Any advice?

I want to get new leather seat skins and add some custom suede inserts. I had an ebay source that made tops and interior replacements but I've lost their link.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

Phil - think you may be referring to topsonline.com

Old 10-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I got my console leather from Convertible Tops, Headliners, Convertible Top Parts, and OEM Seat Covers Perfect match and cut. They have seat skins also.

Sambo

Old 10-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Philhef,
topsonline,com or as they're known out of their storefront in Los Angeles, Vic's Auto Upholstery Supply, is a supplier of replacement skins. However, knowing what I know of you through your posts, why bother with a replacement that you're going to modify. Go to any local upholsterer, they'll remove your existing covers to use as a pattern for your new covers. You can pick up leather hides at many suppliers in your city, and your upholsterer can put together any custom combination of your dreams. A typical hide will have 30-50sf and will cover both seats. Prices will vary from about $3/sf to $8/sf and there are thousands of choices. For the inserts, if you're using the passion suede, there are over 100 colors available. Or you can simply use the suede side of the leather skin to give you a contrast in texture while keeping the color consistent. Then you don't have to buy any additional fabric or leather. And you can set it off with a contrast welting. In my real life, I'm a designer whose family has been in the textile business for seventy years, and I've done this many times.

Last edited by tberg; 10-26-2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: spelling
The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
DevSpider (10-26-2013), philhef (10-26-2013)
Old 10-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
Philhef,
topsonline,com or as their known out of their storefront in Los Angeles, Vic's Auto Upholstery Supply, is a supplier of replacement skins. However, knowing what I know of you through your posts, why bother with a replacement that you're going to modify. Go to any local upholsterer, they'll remove your existing covers to use as a pattern for your new covers. You can pick up leather hides at many suppliers in your city, and your upholsterer can put together any custom combination of your dreams. A typical hide will have 30-50sf and will cover both seats. Prices will vary from about $3/sf to $8/sf and there are thousands of choices. For the inserts, if you're using the passion suede, there are over 100 colors available. Or you can simply use the suede side of the leather skin to give you a contrast in texture while keeping the color consistent. Then you don't have to buy any additional fabric or leather. And you can set it off with a contrast welting. In my real life, I'm a designer whose family has been in the textile business for seventy years, and I've done this many times.
I've checked out several interior shops but I really wasn't pleased with their custom work. And you're right, I used tops on line for my miata seats.
I live in Hickory NC, furniture manufacturing capital!! Lol. Leather is easy to come by but a good detail shop, not so much. I've had dozens of custom furniture pieces made for clients but my resources aren't comfortable doing car seats. I can't believe they're so different.
I'm going to get used to the new paint color and play with some color combinations for the interior. I really wanted diamond quilted suede on inserts and doors. Probably in dark brown with black leather sides. And brown edged mats. My other issue is, can I have brown suede a pillars with black headliner? I've seen Maserati's like that.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

philhef,
Any reasonable furniture upholsterer can easily do the seats, although there might be some hesitation because of the airbags. But, any auto and/or boat upholsterer would find these seats to be rather simple. As for the quilted diamond suede inserts, there are numerous custom quilters in any large city (often times custom drapery workrooms will do it) where they can easily quilt up yardage for the inserts for the seats and door panels. In an area of the country as you are in, that is the center of the furniture universe, you should have no problem finding qualified upholsterers.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

philhef,
Any reasonable furniture upholsterer can easily do the seats, although there might be some hesitation because of the airbags. But, any auto and/or boat upholsterer would find these seats to be rather simple. As for the quilted diamond suede inserts, there are numerous custom quilters in any large city (often times custom drapery workrooms will do it) where they can easily quilt up yardage for the inserts for the seats and door panels. In an area of the country as you are in, that is the center of the furniture universe, you should have no problem finding qualified upholsterers.
Ok, I'm lazy!! Lol. I've gone in circles with this car and want a simple solution, ie, call and order!!
I know, I've put so much into getting it exactly how I want it I can't slack now. I really like this photo of the e type concept I found. Just different color.
Good leather seat skin source. Any advice?-image.jpg

Old 10-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

philhef, Any reasonable furniture upholsterer can easily do the seats, although there might be some hesitation because of the airbags. But, any auto and/or boat upholsterer would find these seats to be rather simple. As for the quilted diamond suede inserts, there are numerous custom quilters in any large city (often times custom drapery workrooms will do it) where they can easily quilt up yardage for the inserts for the seats and door panels. In an area of the country as you are in, that is the center of the furniture universe, you should have no problem finding qualified upholsterers.

Look up Paul's Jaguar online. I had them make me precise exact replacement covers for my old xj8. I sent them my covers and they used them as a template to make the new ones. At the time they had Connolly leather hides as well. That was in 2007. They did a great job.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by v8quattronut
Look up Paul's Jaguar online. I had them make me precise exact replacement covers for my old xj8. I sent them my covers and they used them as a template to make the new ones. At the time they had Connolly leather hides as well. That was in 2007. They did a great job.
Thanks, I'll check him out.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Got mine from Paul's. Fit was so-so. If were to do it again I would find a good shop and just have 'em made like most here suggested.