Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good quality tools

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Good quality tools

As i start fixing my car i'm finding just how many tools i haven't got, in various areas like socket sets, torque wrenches, and. . . well just about everything.
I would imagine most of us at some point have experienced wratchet mechanisms breaking or falling apart on socket sets, screwdrivers breaking etc, so can anyone recommend tool makers that make good quality tools, without breaking the bank?

Obviously there's Snap-On, but from their prices a full set of those would likely cost near the same as the car.
Currently i'm looking for a 1/4" drive socket set ( for those rear camshaft bolts, and thanks to PaulJ for the advice), and my choices seem to include Nielsen, Rolson, Bahco, Sealey and Teng.

Any input on good quality tools of any kind likely to be used on a car would be more than welcome.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Roadhogg; 07-03-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

craftsman is all i buy unless its a specialty tool. They have NEVER let me down. EVER

The following users liked this post:
Roadhogg (07-07-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

I've never had a problem with Craftsman. Reasonable quality and price plus if you do manage to break something they will replace it.

Roadhogg (07-07-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by Cerberus66
craftsman is all i buy unless its a specialty tool. They have NEVER let me down. EVER
I have quite a lot of Sears Craftsman hand tools. Main thing I like is there is a Sears nearby and its open on the weekends and evenings when I typically need something and they are very good about replacing anything that I break. (Yes I have broken a few sockets and ratchets.) But I note the OP's location and wonder if they even sell craftsman tools there.

Roadhogg (07-07-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Bahco made their name with adjustable spanners (wrenches) and you won't find a better one, I don't have any experience with their other equipment.
Teng make good quality gear without breaking the bank.

Phil, you're right, I doubt if Roadhogg will find a Sears store.

Roadhogg (07-07-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Most of my hand tools are Snap On I've quite a variety including Craftsman, most of the Name brands are pretty good, but I have purchased most of my tools over the years used for about 10 cents on the dollar. Look for garage sales, auctions and want ads. I don't know what tool manufacturers you have on your side of the pond but Channel Lock makes a nice beginner kit for about $60.00 includes 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2 drive with a lifetime warranty. Been using these on may truck commercially for the last ten years.

Roadhogg (07-07-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

While I still have a full set of Craftsman tool that I purchased 54 years ago most of my daily auto work is done with a $10 set of ACE Hardware sockets. Even the Harbor Freight tools will serve a hobby owner well.

I think I broke one socket in all these cars and years.

Tight Wad Tom

Roadhogg (07-07-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pdupler
But I note the OP's location and wonder if they even sell craftsman tools there.
Mr Dupler appears more observant than some of the rest of us.

As others have said, most name brands are of reasonable quality and unless you are using these professionally day in and day put, it is unlikely that you will ever wear out a ratchet or break a socket.

I can only recall breaking one tool, a screwdriver, which was replaced for free by craftsman but even if it were not free, one of a countless number, across many years, is not such a big deal.

Perhaps a more meaningful discussion would be 6 point sockets vs 12.

I will start the flame war off by saying 6 is better.

The following 2 users liked this post by ccfulton:
Bob OB (04-12-2013), Roadhogg (07-07-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by ccfulton
I will start the flame war off by saying 6 is better.
+1

The only way to go. Even if you have to pay more or look harder.

6 point box ends are nice too.

Roadhogg (07-07-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 04:21 AM
Banned

Talking of Craftsman tools, an EBay search showed up this:

CRAFTSMAN 104 PC SOCKET SET UNUSED 1/2, 3/8 &1/4 DRIVE ENGLISH & METRIC + MORE! | eBay

If i could have got this set for the price i'd have stretched the piggy bank for it, but the postage is more than the kit.
Can't find an equivalent set in the UK for that price, and with the replacement gaurantee they offer it looks like it would be hard to go wrong with them.

Edit: just noticed this is a bidding item and may cost considerably more by auction end.

As is so often the case, we just can't seem to get the same kind of choice and price on this side of the pond.
Though i did find these:

STANLEY MICROTOUGH 65PIECE SOCKET SET TOOL KIT 1/4 & 3/8 DRIVE LIFETIME WARRANTY | eBay

Stanley 187193 Socket Set 1/2" 1/4" and 3/8" Square Drive | eBay

Good to see what you wrote of the Bahco's Norri.
Personally i'd never heard of them before, but with my experience that's no surprise to me.

I bought a 50 or 60 piece socket set from Halfords some years ago, used it 2 or 3 times in the course of a year or more and the ratchet mechanism on the main wrench literally fell apart.
Also had a screwdriver/hex set, but the bit insert broke on the handle.
Shame that, because the insert was magnetic, so the bits didn't fall out when turned upside down and it was handy for fishing out dropped nuts and bolts too.
Still perusing toolsets, but it now seems the sensible option is anything with a replacement gaurantee.

Last edited by Roadhogg; 07-04-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:34 AM
Banned

I don't get this thing with the 6 or 12 point argument.

Is it a grip issue?

ie: one or the other is less prone to slipping?

Old 07-04-2012, 05:31 AM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts

As others have said, most name brands are of reasonable quality and unless you are using these professionally day in and day put, it is unlikely that you will ever wear out a ratchet or break a socket.

+1 on that and an important point to bear in mind when weighing up costs versus the amount of time you will use them. I have Teng in the UK and have always found them to be very good- they'll take some abuse(verbal as well as physical ) I find Halford's tools to be tough but not as comfortable to use - thinner sections etc..

Roadhogg (07-07-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts
Default I'm a Tool Junkie....

+1 for TENG.....

I've used Snap-On (they are still good but now lots of other makes comparable) like MAC US-PRO and BRITOOL.

Anything by FACOM too.

My torque wrenches used to be Britool, but now have the full set of Teng. The Teng stuff is getting expensive now I seem to notice, but great quality. It stands serious abuse from me, the 3/8th drive stuff I've asked more from than should be reasonable and they're still in the box....

I've just invested in a set of Carolus spanners, expensive but lovely things, German made, you think the finish on Snap-On is good.....

Saying all this, the Halfords Pro range do a big socket set, usually £200, but they offer it at half price virtually every month, no quibble replacement guarantee...
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255215

For that money you wouldn't get the 6 Carolus spanners I bought!!!! For what you're suggesting on use, the Halfords kit would be ideal, if stuff breaks, just replace it with Teng!(I use some of the Halfords pro kit myself)

Last edited by Sean B; 07-04-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Roadhogg (07-07-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 06:35 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

im not a fan of halfords but i have a set of the "PRO" tools they sell..recently broke a ratchet and they replaced on the spot..warrenty for life

Roadhogg (07-07-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Roadhogg
I don't get this thing with the 6 or 12 point argument.
If the bolt has six points then it is best to use a socket that matches. There are 12pt bolts but the are less common. A 12pt socket will work on a 6pt bolt but the contact area is much less so there is more risk of damaging the bolt.

Good quality tools-6-point-vs-12-point1.jpg

There is a nice description here:
6 point vs 12 point socket and wrench | extremeToolShack.com

Roadhogg (07-07-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Also a twelve point will help you in tighter spaces, 30 degree increments compared to 60 degrees. A mechanic will have a variety of both.

Roadhogg (07-07-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RCSign
Also a twelve point will help you in tighter spaces, 30 degree increments compared to 60 degrees. A mechanic will have a variety of both.
Yes, and this is very important in tight quarters. But the 6 point is less likely to slip and typically on sockets, just a bit thicker walled and less likely to crack too. The only problem I find is that most socket "sets" are of the 12 point variety. Almost all of the 6 point sockets that I have were purchased individually on an as-needed basis which gets expensive.

Roadhogg (07-07-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Banned

The 6 point versus 12 point issue now makes more sense, depending on the nuts/bolts needing to be removed/installed

The Halfords socket set you linked to SeanB looks nice and comprehensive, but luckily i've still got the 50 or 60 piece set i referred to, and had a spare 1/2" handle from another set which i use with it.

If i get a 1/4" & 3/8" drive set i should have a reasonable selection of basic sockets, so i might go for the snap-ons i posted and a seperate universal adapter set, or try to find a set which includes the universals.

I did buy a set of spanners, but i can't find them and can't remember if they were stolen with my other tools or not. I've still got a few loose ones of various sizes.

Definitely don't have any torque wrenches though, and i'm assuming i'll need 2 of those, low torque and high torque.

Probably will need other tools as well, like a torx set, 3' breaker bar and maybe others.

It's interesting to discover what makes, what tools, and how comprehensive other peoples sets are.

This is turning into a real education.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

You should consider ratchet spanners also, but quality is really important with those.

Roadhogg (07-07-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

This thread made me think too to pass on a little advice I learned from a friend's misfortune about 10 years ago. Once you start buying lots of individual tools, keep a database inventory. A good friend of mine lost his entire rollaway tool cabinet to thieves in broad daylight. He was mowing his yard in a typical middle-class suburban neighborhood - all homes with front-entry garages. He opened the door of his two-car garage to get the mower out. Once he had finished mowing the front lawn, he went around to mow the back and left his garage door open. In the 30 minutes or so he was mowing in back, thieves backed a truck up to his garage, hoisted his rollaway tool cabinet into the truck and drove off. He heard nothing over the sound of the mower.

He made a claim on his insurance, listing out the tools that were stolen to the best of his recollection. He took his insurance settlement on a buying spree to replace everything. For years afterward, every time he starts a new project, he remembers a tool that he used to have and forgot to file on his insurance. He says its aggravating to have to stop what he's doing to make a trip to Sears to buy a tool he used to have. Based on Paul's experience, I spent time making an inventory of my tools in an MS Access database and have added new tools to it as I buy them.

I've also inventoried household electronics and stuff of value. Insurance will cover pre-set amounts for stuff like clothing, towels, sheets, kitchen utensils, etc. They also will cover tools found in the typical home garage like they did for my friend Paul, but we gearheads tend to have a lot more than any typical tool set.

A quick query shows I have exactly 370 hand tools, 111 wrenches, 178 sockets, you get the picture. Anything that has a serial number, that has been recorded as well. Everyone should make an inventory of their tools for insurance purposes. Heck, it might even help you remember to get a tool back if you loan it to somebody.

The following 3 users liked this post by pdupler:
batroute (07-05-2012), Roadhogg (07-07-2012), Sean B (07-05-2012)

Quick Reply: Good quality tools