XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grandfather is giving me his XK8...What should I be worried about?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts
Default RE: Grandfather is giving me his XK8...What should I be worried about?

With reference to h20boy's comments, one thing I have found useful on a few other car/tech sites is a section of articles or frequently asked questions to address common issues related to the cars on that site. I did not notice if the JaguarForum site had that yet and I realize it takes some effort. But there could be an "articles" section that includes one subsection regarding nikasil, another regarding timing chain tensioners, another regarding hydraulic issues with the convertible mechanism, another addressing spec differences from the various years (e.g., pre-2003 versus post-2003), etc.

While doing my excruciating research before diving into the Jag, I think I was able to discover much of this information scattered about at different websites/forums but I do not believe there is a place that has all this commonly desired information in a single well-organized spot.

The problem is that soon-to-be car buyers wanting to quickly find out the plusses and minuses about a car they are considering oftentimes do not want to spend hours doing searches through forums for key words and finding posts that may or may not address what they are looking for. I include myself in this group and I recall when I was first considering an XK, my first post here may have been something like yours.

So a sticky or article section on the forum addressing all these things in advance would be great.

Doug

Old 09-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,145 Likes on 751 Posts

Doug is correct, though the forum has a type of 'bulletin board' for those posts which are FAQ worthy, and categorized as such, are gathered here. Found by hitting the FORUM FAQ link, then the button that says ALL FAQ, it wouldn't take too much effort to do something that you are asking for Doug. I have found the moderators are very receptive to making a sticky or doing an FAQ if asked to do so.

Maybe one idea is to place a single thread sticky in the top of each respective model's category, that has a evolving list of threads, links to other sites, and general information/data that can be organized, added to, and edited by a willing member. Its a great idea, and would be a one-stop reference for those common questions about 'reliability' and 'what should I look for?' threads from prospective jag owners. I am all for making it easier to find answers to some of the most common inquiries. Doug, if you would like to start the process, i'm sure Gordo and myself, maybe a couple others, would be willing to help you keep it 'growing' with ideas and links.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

H20boy,

Thanks for the heads-up on that faq link (guess I missed that). I wouldn't mind helping out but am not really that tech-savvy about organizing and maintaining website content.

Doug

Old 09-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: HapsburgHC

...I truly am surprised at how rude and unhelpful this forum seems to be. I guess I will have to seek advice elsewhere.
lol hey and welcome, dont take it personally! i know its hard not to but they are just giving you a hard time...i take it your young like I am so they are just having some fun with you.

as far as the car goes congrats!...im sure its in great condition with so few miles...it seems like you know most of the issues however overall ive heard even the early years are great cars....i think the one thing you want to do is have the time tensioners replaced with newer metal ones....i think the originals were plastic and if they break you instantly blow the engine if i remember right! Obviously nothing to fool with...im sure one of the techs can help you more...also search past threads, lots of people ask your same questions...hope this helps

and post some pics!

Old 09-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,145 Likes on 751 Posts

Doug, somebody had to point out the FAQs to me too. Its not easy to find.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great forum! I belong to a number of car forums and this is one of the best. One should appreciate people taking their time to give free advice.

The Nikasil coated block in the engine is something that you can't do anything about and isn't a problem unless the fuel that has been used in the car has a high sulfur content. I don't think that it is much of a problem today. I have had two XJRs with the Nikasil block and put 100K miles on one and now have 60K miles on the other one. When I sold the 1999, it used zero oil and ran perfectly. The service manager at our local Jaguar dealer said that they have not replaced any engines for this problem. However, I live in California and we have more smog controls.

There is one problem that you should worry about on the early cars and that is the upper chain tighteners on the cams. Jaguar made several modifications to this part. They were made from part plastic and would crack and fail to keep the chains tight. The chains can jump teeth and ruin the engine. The lastest modification is all metal. They are easy to change if you just change the two upper ones which are the ones that fail. I changed them my self in a couple of hours at a cost of maybe $150. If you need instructions, I can tell you how to do it.

I have driven four XJs and XKs for the last ten years and they have been the most reliable cars that I have ever owned. I restore old sport cars with a friend. He bought a new 1998 Lexus LS400 and I bought a 1999 XJR. Over the years we owned the cars, he spent significantly more on the Lexus for repairs than I did on the Jaguar. The LS400 is the most reliable luxury car on the road, but this one got beat by a Jaguar. If you take care of those chain tensioners, you should have a very reliable car and the finest looking car on the road, in my opinion.