XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a massive loss of oil while driving this week

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 12:44 AM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Had a massive loss of oil while driving this week

Halfway home earlier this week from work while I'm slowing down for a stoplight, I notice the engine revs drop for a second then regain normalcy. Odd. Several seconds later before the light turns green, I notice some light wispy smoke coming from the very front of the car, in front of the nose even. No CELs, engine idling normally, all seems well, but apparently isn't. I dive into the turning lane and into a small commercial park, pop the hood and get out. The engine starts making a light squeaking sound at idle so I shut it down. No damage to the core at least, but it seems like an oil line, front seal, or cooler blew, as the belt and everything around it is coated in a fine layer of oil. And a long trail of large drops behind it, and a good quart or two underneath. This was a 'rather warm' early evening, 104*F, so something likely 'gave' due to the heat.

Luckily my wife was just 5 min away and was able to give me a lift home. Got a tow truck and extracted it later that night back home. When it got there, it had lost more oil and the engine squealed a lot more at idle when started to help maneuver it off the truck- quickly shut it down after quickly backing it straight into its garage, and another two quarts of oil at least dumped or drained out once it was on the ground and tilted nose-down the driveway. Spent a good hour scrubbing and hosing the concrete afterwards.

Has anyone had this occur before? It's obviously parked for awhile and will not be started again until I can get it figured out. Already having doubts I'll have the time or patience to repair this myself unless it's fairly straightforward. I haven't had time to jack it up yet, just wanted to throw it out here first. Car is at 145k, both head gaskets were already replaced early last year, but the 'blowout' seems to be from the very front of the motor. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Sentinelist; 08-13-2016 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 459 Likes on 331 Posts

Have a look at the oil cooler behind/below the front bumper. Prone to damage, but easy to fix.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

Like Dibbit says, or the related oil cooler lines.
More trouble to clean up than fix.
Good move on stopping quickly.

Wayne

Old 08-13-2016, 05:14 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

+1 on cooler damage or failed hose.

There's also several joints with O Rings that can loosen:

Had a massive loss of oil while driving this week-oil-cooler.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

This graphic from JEPC is more useful than JTIS for the layout.

Graham

Old 08-13-2016, 05:37 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

I got the pics you sent. I am guessing oil cooler like everyone else. There is a TSB for your car. Call if you need me to look at it.

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
303-50 Engine Oil Leakage.pdf (105.9 KB, 109 views)
Old 08-15-2016, 11:29 AM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I got the pics you sent. I am guessing oil cooler like everyone else. There is a TSB for your car. Call if you need me to look at it.

bob
Thanks, Bob- and the rest of you. Helpful stuff! I had a few minutes to take a better peek last night but still haven't jacked it up yet. If the oil cooler is forward of the radiator, it and the lines look normal and dry. Behind the radiator is where the leak is- the inner side of the airbox, for example, is saturated in oil, as is everything else around it in that corner up front. I'm assuming the lines run underneath that area, but are there motor seals around any of the pulleys?

Old 08-15-2016, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Well, if you look at the parts diagram posted above, you have to imagine the oil lines going around the radiator. The X brace (Part 7) secures the oil lines (supply and return) to the base of the engine. You have to imagine the pulleys, water pump, etc. somewhere higher than that. The problematic part is typically #5 as it is the pressure side. The rubber part separates from the crimping, sometimes nicely (slow leak), sometimes catastrophically (dumping all the oil on the road). My understanding is that these are normal run-of-the-mill hydraulic lines, with a life expectancy of 10 years.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Line Repair

Here in the Arizona desert rubber does not hold up as well as it does in other climates. Most of you will agree that the OEM rubber lines to the oil cooler are a disappointment and a disaster in waiting.
One solution is to upgrade the rubber portion of the lines with superior materials such as multi layer braided stainless.
Arizona Tubes and Hoses in Phoenix did a great job with my lines, see photos for example. aztubesandhoses.com 602-253-4507. Hal is the owner is memory serves me well. Cost was less than replacement of the OEM grenades.

Attached Thumbnails Had a massive loss of oil while driving this week-dsc_0007.jpg   Had a massive loss of oil while driving this week-dsc_0001.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
plums (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

This is very interesting, glad you didn't have any damage done.

Guys: Is there any preventive maintenance we could do / should do for this area? What I mean, can one see it starting to deteriorate? What should we look for?

It is probably obvious to you, but I have to admit I've got to learn about this one. I don't know what to look for to see if all is AOK down there or to catch an upcoming problem. The thought of an oil line failing in the middle of a trip of something scares me so I wanted to ask.

Thanks,

Old 08-15-2016, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
This is very interesting, glad you didn't have any damage done.

Guys: Is there any preventive maintenance we could do / should do for this area? What I mean, can one see it starting to deteriorate? What should we look for?

It is probably obvious to you, but I have to admit I've got to learn about this one. I don't know what to look for to see if all is AOK down there or to catch an upcoming problem. The thought of an oil line failing in the middle of a trip of something scares me so I wanted to ask.

Thanks,
some lines have been seen to chafe against sharp edges.

you can reposition the lines or wrap them in protective
rubber such as a larger piece of rubber hose

Old 08-16-2016, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

I see it as an issue of general maintenance due to the "technology". These are standard hydraulics hoses (same stuff as excavators, etc.), made with a flexible rubber hose crimped on an aluminum fitting, and sealed by o-rings. The wikipedia article seems to mention a life expectancy of 10 years. With the newest of our cars being 10 years old, in a sense, most of us are on borrowed time.

In addition, the earlier cars had a (reputedly) weaker crimp design making them more prone to catastrophic separation. Newer cars were supposedly fitted with a better part.

In my case, the hose on the pressure side started to leak. It was a slow, manageable leak in spite of the hose being of the newer design. I replaced it with a Jaguar part, but I believe some folks are having all 4 lines "refreshed" by local hydraulics shops for a lot less.

In my opinion, replacing the first hose on the pressure side is right up there in priority, right behind the tensioners for the earlier engines. One last note: not all cars were fitted with an oil cooler, so some folks choose to remove it altogether.

Hope his helps. Keep us posted.

Johnken (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Fmertz,
Thanks. I didn't realize some have the cooler some don't. I'll have to check to see if I have an oil cooler installed on a 1998 XK8.

Ah let me ask an embarssingly easy question: How will I know if I'm looking at an oil cooler or a transmission cooler down there?

Maybe it is just as easy as: All X100s have a tranny cooler. If you see two assemblies you have an oil cooler. Please let us know.

I always appreciate your help man.

John

Old 08-16-2016, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

How will I know if I'm looking at an oil cooler or a transmission cooler down there?

Maybe it is just as easy as: All X100s have a tranny cooler. If you see two assemblies you have an oil cooler.
All cars have a transmission cooler. It is actually built in the driver side end tank of the radiator.

The oil cooler looks exactly like in the parts diagram above. It is located low, in front of the radiator. You should see it with a mirror if you reach under the front nose of the car, right in the middle.

Johnken (08-16-2016)