XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hazard lights won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Hazard lights won't turn off

I just got a 2002 XKR convertible. I'm truly lovin' it. Anyway, my hazard lights won't turn off. This has happened twice. The first time disconnected the battery to reset the system. After reconnecting the switch worked. It was good for a week. Then yesterday, the same thing happened. I had to reset it on the side of the road. Then, I got home, parked the car, went inside and 30 minutes later my neighbor called to ask me why my hazards were on.

Any advice or info on this? Any help would be appreciated.

Tks.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:44 AM

The saga continues.

I went to the local Jag dealership in Kyoto and they told me I'd have to replace the whole line of switches(seat heaters, fogs, hazard etc...) . I can't just replace the hazard button. Does that sound right to anyone? Any advice on where to order or get used parts online?

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 10-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that problem with the hazard switch and the traction control switches when they would stick in the on position. I had noticed that this happened at night and it seemed that when the headlights were on, the heat from the switches being back lit caused them to stick. If I parked the car for a bit when they cooled off I was able to shut off the hazards and the traction control switch would work again. Never had a problem during the day.

Good Luck
brdave

The following users liked this post:
jamjax (11-20-2011)
Old 10-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,146 Likes on 752 Posts

That theory sounds very plausible. The button is not the easy answer, unfortunately, i've had mine apart. You'll do best by trying to find a salvage part. I bought/exchanged mine with Jagtechohio, when my bulbs kept shorting out, dimming the buttoms - you may want to see if he can get you one. You an replace the switch pack yourself, just have to take the center console out to get to it. Easy swap out. good luck.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

BR;

I am thanking you well after the fact because I just had the same problem.

Bought the car on Friday in London and drove it home to Geneva today.

Hazard switch was frozen in the on position.

Had to drive 25 miles with the Hazard lights on to get home.

A close reading of the Fuse Charts did not reveal a fuse number that would disable the Hazard Flashers so I checked the forum.

In the mean time my Italian Super Model wife chirped that she had turned the flashers off for me. "I just pushed the button and they went off."

"Thank you dear" was the only response possible in the circumstances.

and the same to BR.

cheers,

jamjax

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (02-17-2022)
Old 11-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

This may sound odd but check the fasteners that attach the switch pack to the center console frame. You will need to remove the upholstered outer console trim to do this but it worked for me. This happened to me a few times, once I was stuck on the side of the road and turned them on to put the top up and I couldn't get them off, only after I was able to wedge a very thin business card between the switch and the switch pack bezel was I able to free it to the off position.

It was not until I changed the lamps in the switch packs did I notice over tightening of the screws could cause the outer portion of the switch pack or switch bezel, or frame, to deflect and cause the switches to stick (I was able to make the DSC switch stick too). This also happened on warm days as the plastic seemed to expand in the heat, this may also validate brdave's post about the heat from the lamps. Backing the screws off eliminated the problem.

Last edited by MarcB; 11-23-2011 at 12:19 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MarcB:
Gas turbine (07-25-2022), jamjax (11-23-2011), Johnken (02-29-2016)
Old 11-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

MB;

Thanks will certainly give that a try if they ever act up again.

That was good thinking about the card.

cheers,

jj

Old 11-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Perhaps others who know more than me might comment about a squirt of contact cleaner,would WD work?
Al

Old 11-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,146 Likes on 752 Posts

if its the switch sticking (not in contact with the bezel) the shot of WD or other lubricant won't get the actual switch 'plunger' that is central to the button. You can pop off the button 'cover' to free it, but that would require removing the bezel and taking off the entire row of buttons to get to the individual cover.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:29 AM
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by MarcB
This may sound odd but check the fasteners that attach the switch pack to the center console frame. You will need to remove the upholstered outer console trim to do this but it worked for me. This happened to me a few times, once I was stuck on the side of the road and turned them on to put the top up and I couldn't get them off, only after I was able to wedge a very thin business card between the switch and the switch pack bezel was I able to free it to the off position.

You are a life saver! (bit over-dramatic maybe). Last night 1AM I dropped a friend off in my 2002 XKR and got the same problem. After almost running in to a car that thought I was signaling into his lane, I decided it was not wise to drive all the way home.

After I called for road side assistence, searched for and found this forum thread. The creditcard trick solved the problem! Just dislodged the button which seemed to be stuck in the casing.

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2016, 12:49 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Alag
Perhaps others who know more than me might comment about a squirt of contact cleaner,would WD work?
Al
I had the exact same problem with mine. I put the battery charger on it and sprayed some lubricant behind the switch by prying the button over a bit with a knife and using that small little straw that comes with the lubricant. Every hour or so I go out and work the switch. After a couple of tries it started working again.

Old 02-17-2022, 12:56 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2002 XK8 Hazard lights won't go off

Maybe this is a more common problem that I thought. Mins started blinking while it was sitting in the driveway & no one in the car. Called the shop I use & they did not know how to shut it off & could not find the fuse that controlled
the flasher. So, I looked on this Forum, slipped a credit card in the crack of the switch & that worked. Got the cover off & now trying to pull the white plastic part out so I can spray contact cleaner on it. Can it be pulled out with needle nose pliers? Is this a good fix?

Armand

Old 02-17-2022, 01:38 PM
Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

This is a very common problem. My own experience was that the switch pack securing screws if overtightened will cause the switches to stick. The switch pack becomes distorted. (Electric screw drivers grrr). The fix requires removal of the centre console. Search around there are multiple threads on this subject.

Old 02-17-2022, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by Armand
Maybe this is a more common problem that I thought. Mins started blinking while it was sitting in the driveway & no one in the car. Called the shop I use & they did not know how to shut it off & could not find the fuse that controlled
the flasher. So, I looked on this Forum, slipped a credit card in the crack of the switch & that worked. Got the cover off & now trying to pull the white plastic part out so I can spray contact cleaner on it. Can it be pulled out with needle nose pliers? Is this a good fix?

Armand
Sorry to say that while yes you can fix it with a credit card (or a thinner type of card) temporarily, but a longer term fix is to really remove the console, remove the console pack, then to remove the thin set of switches of the three sets and really get int there and see what's happening. Sometimes it's just that the sides of the switch and switch mechanism are getting stuck on the "walls" of the assembly - sometimes it's the button it's self. I'm sorry, it's been so long since I have been "in there" that the exact make up of the innerdz of that switch are lost to a failed memory but you WILL see it once in there. I would be careful about spraying a ton of fluid in there while the battery is still connected - or at all actually. Card will work, but a deeper dive may be needed... It's really not as painful as it sounds

Old 02-20-2022, 06:58 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I have not touched the screws. What is strange, is that I was not in the car nor was it running....suddenly the flashers started flashing.I sprayed som contact cleaner around the switch, and tomorrow B/4 I put the red lens piece back on. I'll spay a bit of WD-40 in there. Sure hope I don't have to touch it again.

The coupling near the brake pedal was mentioned. so I took it loose & sprayed contact cleaner on the coupling, which seems to have corrected the problem. We'll see.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:13 PM
Smile Credit Card trick

Originally Posted by Maurits
You are a life saver! (bit over-dramatic maybe). Last night 1AM I dropped a friend off in my 2002 XKR and got the same problem. After almost running in to a car that thought I was signaling into his lane, I decided it was not wise to drive all the way home.

After I called for road side assistence, searched for and found this forum thread. The creditcard trick solved the problem! Just dislodged the button which seemed to be stuck in the casing.

Thanks!
The credit card worked for me too! You just have to find the side of the switch that is stuck and leverage it up with the credit card.

Old 07-25-2022, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 725 Likes on 496 Posts

Prise off the switch top and file about 0.5mm off all the sides making sure to round the corners ..re fit and its all good