XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights always on

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 07:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlights always on

I have an issue with my head and rear light on, regardless of the position of the switch. If the switch is off, the green light is not on, if the switch is on the green light is on and if switched to auto, the green light is off (daytime). This is on a XK8 2002. Any one having experienced this?

Old 02-11-2016, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

I wonder if someone tinkered with your system to get "Daytime Running Lights" for insurance purposes. Real running lights wouldn't have your tail lights illuminated though.

The following users liked this post:
jman (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 10:01 AM

Thank you scardini1, it is well possible since the car is a 2002. However, there is no city test required here and insurance is not a problem to get.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

No surprise there. I only offered the idea because every time I insure a car I get asked, "Does it have daytime running lights"? So I figure, there must be some discount for having them.

Another idea: I went through the schematics for my '03. The signals to the various relays and the signal to the green light in the dashboard are separate. So it's possible that the headlight relay could be stuck closed. As far as the system knows, the headlights are off, and the green light goes out. Look at the attachment. If your engine compartment relay configuration looks like this, then swap the main beam relay (HID or non-HID asappropriate) with the fog light relay, and see if the fog lights come on instead.

Oddly enough, there “is” a provision for daytime running lights in my schematic, but it activates the front fog lights and not the head lights. I wonder if they actually work? I should check – lol.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Headlight Relays.pdf (62.5 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by scardini1; 02-11-2016 at 12:19 PM.
jman (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts

Aren't DRL mandatory in Canada?

"Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 requires daytime running lamps on all vehicles made since 1 January 1990"

jman (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 12:17 PM

This is very good info. I will check it out as soon as I possibly can and I will post the outcome. Thank a lot!!!

Old 02-11-2016, 12:44 PM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts

I have a 2004 XK8 in Canada, it has the same issue and DRL's are the law here. I just thought the tailights didn't need to be on all the time. I talked to them at Jag and it was Jags answer to the Canadian law.

jman (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 12:50 PM

Hi daro31, that is interesting. I never see cars with daylight rears. Also, all my other vehicles, F350, Chev Sonic, Explorer turn off DRL when e-brake is applied. (XK8 does not).
Anyway, thanks for the input, Rob

Old 02-11-2016, 02:35 PM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts
Default DRL Canada

Daylight rears are just the rear parking lights are on all of the time. Not a requirement in Canada, just Jaguar met the DRL requiremnt by making the Headlight switch redundant. IO only turn on the headlight switch if I want to turn on the front or back fog lamps.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:04 PM

Jim, I tried the swap with the relays and everything is the same. So it looks like daro31 has got it right and the lights are always on. I probably was so excited when I checked out the car that I missed that.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:06 PM

Thanks a lot! It did not occur to me when I first brought the car home.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member

That is so strange. At least for the '03 year, there is a provision in the schematic for DRLs, but it uses the front fog lights only. It seems like over kill (or ignorance at the dealers) to just jam the headlights (and tail lights) on 24/7.

Well, at least the mystery is solved. This is a great site!

Old 02-12-2016, 07:37 AM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi all.

DRLs are programmable with SDD/WDS/IDS, You will find it under dealer options.
You have 3 options: Disabled, Canadian DRLs or Scandinavian DRLs.
I have not noticed any difference between Canadian or Scandinavian.
Dipped beam, front and rear parking lights are on.
Light relays are controlled by BPM.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:32 PM

Hi All,
Does anyone happen to know what the outputs on the body processor module (BPM) are - as in: are they relay contact to ground, open collector to ground, TTL, etc? The reason I ask (and also for adding to this thread) is that from the wiring diagram (that I found here: https://www.mediafire.com/?eiqqf6heu5zz3 ), it would seem to be easy to implement the DLR function by simply connecting pin 15 (input from the ignition switch to ground in position 2 and 3) (or possibly 41 - the wiring diagram indicates 'Crank' is used for DLR) to pin 68 (the output from the BPM that controls the dipped beams). If the BPM outputs can tolerate being pulled to ground in their OFF state, then this should be a simple and effective solution.

Great! - first 'real' post here done!

Jan

Old 04-18-2016, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I just put a small piece of black masking tape over the light sensor in the back of my rear view mirror. Leave auto headlight "on" always and i got easy DRL's.

This is old news for some but it is so much simpler than some of the plans above i figured I'd mention it.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Jan_H
Hi All,
Does anyone happen to know what the outputs on the body processor module (BPM) are - as in: are they relay contact to ground, open collector to ground, TTL, etc? The reason I ask (and also for adding to this thread) is that from the wiring diagram (that I found here: https://www.mediafire.com/?eiqqf6heu5zz3 ), it would seem to be easy to implement the DLR function by simply connecting pin 15 (input from the ignition switch to ground in position 2 and 3) (or possibly 41 - the wiring diagram indicates 'Crank' is used for DLR) to pin 68 (the output from the BPM that controls the dipped beams). If the BPM outputs can tolerate being pulled to ground in their OFF state, then this should be a simple and effective solution.

Great! - first 'real' post here done!

Jan
Welcome to the forum!. Sounds like this information would be of interest to you: http://www.thejagwrangler.com/jaguar...nd-papers.html

Old 04-19-2016, 09:04 PM

Thanks Johnken!
Simple is indeed better - I hope it will pass the RIV (Canada import requirements|) with this.....:-)
Jan

Old 04-20-2016, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Cool let us know how it goes.

John

Old 04-23-2016, 09:57 PM

The tape over the sensor on the rearview mirror did make the mirror behave like it was dark, but did not turn on the front lights with the light switch on 'auto'. My car also has a 'wart' on the dash on the driver side, and covering this also did not get the front lights to come on with the switch on 'auto'. My solution was to add a relay in the engine fuse box, the coil in parallel with the ignition relay coil, and the contacts in parallel with the fog lamp relay contacts. This works fine, was easy, and doesn't affect any of the car electrical modules (while I suspect that the simple jumper on the BPM would likely work, I didn't think it was worth risking...)

Old 04-23-2016, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member

Jan_H, This tells me the auto function does not work at all on your car. This happened to me, and several others when a wire disconnected at the base of the turn signal stalk. There is a circuit board there with around 10 wires soldered to it at various points. These wires sometimes work themselves loose at the soldered connection point.

Does jiggling the turn signal stalk make auto lights to on/off at all? (long shot but if the lose wire is hovering next to the connection point like mine was it can happen, which would prove the root cause for you).

You would have to remove the steering wheel to get a look at this if you wanted to go that way. Just ask if you want a hand with it.

John

Quick Reply: Headlights always on