XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights, Auto Function

Old 11-16-2017, 09:59 PM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Headlights, Auto Function

When I bought my 2005 XK8 back in September, the "Auto" feature for the headlights didn't work at all. Switched to Auto, the light went off. I took it to jaguar a couple of days ago and they diagnosed the problem to a defective sensor in the interior rearview mirror which would require replacing the mirror which is expensive. I asked them to do the other things that I needed and forget the Auto function problem, for now. Tonight I picked up the car after dark and the headlights came on and the switch was in the "Auto" position. I was elated and left for home. A little while (10 minutes) later driving down a brightly lighted street, I realized that the headlights were NOT on, so I switched to the headlight position and the lights came back on. The Auto feature was not working as I tried it again as I drove. A little while (10 minutes) I tried the Auto again and it worked. I watched it for a little bit and then decided not to trust it until some one of you told me what is the best way to troubleshoot this and fix it. Anybody had this problem and fixed it or some idea of what is best to do?. Thanks, Tom :-)

Old 11-17-2017, 03:11 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

The photoelectric sensor itself is either likely to work or to fail. With the auto function being an intermittent fault, first check the harness and connector at the mirror. It's behind this trim panel:

Headlights, Auto Function-mirror.jpg

The next possible cause is a fault in the lighting stalk rotary switch.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
ThomasL (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 05:36 AM

Graham,
Thank you. :-) Thinking about the problem, after I wrote the post, I thought that maybe the connector at the mirror might be the point of failure. I had the mirror off the other car I had but I want to be really careful with this car because it is extra nice and I don't want to break anything. Does the mirror generally come off easily? What is the best and most effective way to "clean" the (any) harness contacts? Alcohol? Other?
Thank you again.Tom :-)

Old 11-17-2017, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

The photo sensitive diode in the mirror grounds a wire to turn on auto lights. I am not in a position to search for that now, feel free to search under my name I did post the color.

You could just ground that wire to see if lights go on. That would prove it to mirror.

I have had your condition when a wire worked loose at the bottom of the turn signal stalk. You need to remove upper and lower steering wheel plastic shroud, then steering wheel to view these wires. This also detailed in previous posts.

Shake turn signal, lights on? If yes then loose wire.

John

ThomasL (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 09:54 AM

John and Graham,
Thank you. I contacted the tech at Jaguar this AM and was told that while investigating the problem, they found that the sensor was mis-aimed which they corrected. Further, while that helped, they found that if the mirror was moved or jiggled the lights would go off or on. Their conclusion was that there is a short (Your suggestion John, loose/bad ground connection?) in the wiring in the neck of the mirror. I was told that they were not able to get to those wires to repair the short, so a new or used mirror is the suggested repair. Any suggestions as to the possibility of repairing the internal wiring, if it is not the ground connection? Any other suggestions? Tom :-)

Old 11-17-2017, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Tom, sounds like internal mirror wires if they are honest. Price refurbished replacement. New mirror st dealer could be ridiculous price.

These mirrors have a defect, many of them started to ooze internal fluid. This defect created demand for replacements typically refurbished. I got one once for about $125.

Search this forum, the companies that sell refurbished replacement are listed. Maybe search on mirror defect or mirror leak to find the threads.

You'll need to know number of wires in connector to get proper mirror. Several versions out there: auto headlights, auto wipers etc..

john

ThomasL (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 10:52 AM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

My 05 did the same thing. I could get it to function by slightly moving the mirror. I got a mirror from a wreck and that fixed it. If I recall, I slid the old mirror down parallel to the glass to remove it and slid the new mirror up onto the bracket.

ThomasL (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 04:39 PM

John and Grantorino,
I investigated the sybesma.com website and they will refurbish the mirror which is what I think I am going to do. It makes sens to me to make it reliable and safe. I will talk to them on Monday and see what they say. Sounds like my best option. Thanks to all of you for helping me with this matter. Tom :-)

Old 11-17-2017, 06:16 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasL
I investigated the sybesma.com website and they will refurbish the mirror which is what I think I am going to do......
That's the place to go.

Here's the procedure from JTIS for removal/replacement:

The suggestion by the Jaguar tech that the sensor was mis-aimed is odd as it's a fixed sensor. There is no adjustment.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Headlights, Auto Function-mirror-removal.jpg  
ThomasL (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 09:15 PM

He said that it was turned over. What ever, I learned about sybesmas.com a company that refurbishes electronic mirrors. I am going to look into it tomorrow or Monday. I think that is the best option. I'll let you know. Tom :-)

Old 11-18-2017, 01:01 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

ThomasL,
I just got my rear view mirror back from Sybesma, reinstalled it two days ago and it looks good and functions properly: dimming when I flash a light into the sensor. I haven't yet checked the auto headlight.
There's no longer a danger of that leaking issue dribbling onto my console.
I recommend them.

ThomasL (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 02:58 PM

Jim,
Thanks for the confirmation. I am going to call them Monday as they are closed on Saturday. I will report back too. Tom :-)

Old 11-23-2017, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Lightbulb Tom the Light Man!

Originally Posted by ThomasL
Jim,
Thanks for the confirmation. I am going to call them Monday as they are closed on Saturday. I will report back too. Tom :-)
Tom,

I've noticed that due to the time change sometimes that gets you screwed-up if you are one that turns the Lights off every night....If you turn the Lights on before the automatics are ready your lights will go off even though they are in the ON position.....in other words, 1st position is Parking Lights, 2nd is Headlights (Headlights are on), then 3rd position is Automatic and if they are not ready yet.....the Headlights go off!!!!

Billy Clyde in Houston

ThomasL (11-24-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 08:52 AM

Billy,
Thanks for the reminder, however I tried the auto function at night and it would turn the headlights off. I generally leave it in the Auto position and don't mess with it. It didn't do anything until Jaguar worked on it. Then it worked more or less normally. As I was driving on a street lamp street they went off and it didn't seem that the lights were very bright. I'm still working on it.
I contacted Sybesma Mirror and below is their reply:

Good Morning Tom,
Our facility handles primarily the failing auto dim feature in the mirrors. We have no way to test for the operability of the issue you describe below.
My apologies we cannot assist.
Stacy

So for my problem, they will not be able to help. Right now I am using the Auto feature and paying attention to the light on symbol on the dash when it is not dangerous. At this point I am not driving at night too much. Tom

Old 11-24-2017, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

7There is an off delay built in. Streetlights or headlights should not impact. Sounds more and more like a switch issue.
Hey, couldnt you test this with a small piece of black masking tape? Car thinks it's night lights should go on, nothing will interfere except bad connections.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 11-24-2017 at 09:50 AM.
ThomasL (11-24-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 06:17 PM

Mirror base looking through windshield. Dark rectangle is reflection of iPhone.The dealer drapes a dark, thick rag over it to test. Streetlights and headlights never have affected Auto lights on any other car I have had, so I am sure that they are not supposed to on this car either. Maybe they didn't affect them, maybe it was a coincidence that they went out the first time. When I start the car in the garage or carport, the lights do come on, even in the daytime and then go off when I get into the daylight. The concern I have with it all is that I don't want them to go off at night especially when I am driving in town. Even with street lights, a car with its lights off is very hard to see.
The picture was taken through the windshield toward the mirror base and shows the rain sensor and a strange white crooked "circuit board?". The Jaguar man said that this mirror was only used on the '05 & '06 XK8 R. He didn't remember what it should look like and was going to check the next '05 he sees. It has rain sensing, auto dim and compass. Does anyone that has a '05 or '06, have anything showing similar to what shows in mine? It looks to me as though there should be a cover/lens over it or at least the circuit board should be mounted straight. Tom :-)

Old 11-24-2017, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Lightbulb Tom, are you sure?

I was sitting here thinking about our Automatic Lights and a Light came on in my head.......It's taken several minutes to get a grip on what's going on here!

What does the Mirror Dimmer have to do with the Headlights? Our Headlights are not self-dimming.......The Mirror dimmer is when someone comes up behind you and it will dim out the Mirror.......The only thing that tells the Highlights anything is the little deal on the top left side of the dash.....and all it does is turn-on or off the Lights when they are set on automatic....The Mirror dimmer is on the Mirror side on the bezel to pick-up bright Lights from the rear...

That thing everyone is looking at trough the windshield is the Rain-sensor and only GOD knows how it works!

Now I sound like a know-it-all! and I don't.....but I think this is right.....

Billy Clyde in Houston

ThomasL (11-24-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 09:14 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The Auto Headlamp sensor is on the mirror frame facing the windscreen. (along with the sensitivity knob)

The Electrochromatic Auto Dim sensor is on the left lower part of the frame under the mirror itself aiming into the cabin toward the rear windscreen.

The right lower part of the frame under the reflection part is the AUTO ON LED.

The bottom of the frame has the button to turn the AUTO DIM ON/OFF.

The climate control SOLAR LOAD SENSOR is located on top of the dash.

bob

ThomasL (11-24-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 09:31 PM

Billy,
I was told at the dealer that the sensor was in the mirror for the "Auto Headlight Function" and how he illustrated it was to say that when other customers had this problem and the Auto Headlights didn't work right, if they jiggled the mirror, the headlights would go Off or On depending where they were when it was jiggled. Your comment about the little dashboard dome thing makes good sense. So, "I'm not sure". Does anybody know the answer to the question, What sensor controls the "Auto Headlight Function" and where is it located? Still, what is the little "circuit board" in my mirror? If the dome on the dash isn't the Auto Headlight sensor, what is it for?

Now Billy, a story for you there in Houston. My late wife and I came to Houston to MD Anderson a few years ago and I met a fellow Hoosier (someone from Indiana). He took us around different places and has become a very close friend. One day he said to us lets go to ? . . ., I don't remember where now. I had a fair idea where it was from where we were and he said, "we'll cut across the Reservoir". In Indiana the only way to cut across the Reservoir is in a boat. ;-) We then proceeded to "cut across the reservoir" and he explained what the deal was and I saw it first hand. When Harvey came and the news explained how the water moved through the city and the reservoir, I understood completely. ;-) I certainly hope that people have been able to get things back together in Houston after the terrible flood. ;-( Tom

bcprice36 (11-24-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Lightbulb Eating Crow?

Tom,
As I said in my little Mirror and Headlight lecture; Now I sound like a know it all and don't! I at least drew Bob out to finally explain what the real deal is.....Anytime you can get him in on the conversation, you know it is Golden!
As long as I have had this Car, I never knew it had auto-dimmers and I always thought the little deal on the dash was the light sensor......Now I know why when I held my hand over it my Lights wouldn't come on! Bob! Thank you very much! I hope that Tom can get his lights working again....Now I have to get my little book out and read up on my dimmer deal! That I didn't know I had......

Billy Clyde in Houston

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlights, Auto Function