Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello all - XK8/R or XJ8/R instrument cluster change for KPH

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default Hello all - XK8/R or XJ8/R instrument cluster change for KPH

Finally, I have found a new partner for my final run S-Type and it is a gorgeous matching 2004 4.2L X100 - but, being a private import from UK to Australia, has an MPH i/c rather than KPH. After much thread searching, and ransacking Gus' resources at [JagRepair.com] where he has links to great pics on R&R i/c for globes, I need help and advice.

Basically, I have found no-one appears to have reported an i/c R&R. I understand why no British or US owner would need to change from MPH to KPH, and I am unsure of Euro situation where KPH reigns, but is LHD an issue?

Can anyone help with these questions -
  1. Has anyone actually done an XK8/R or XJ8/R instrument cluster swap? I realize I have 2 issues here - firstly "the swap" of say MPH for MPH to replace a dead gauge - then the "different units" ie KPH for MPH. If you have any such experiences, I would greatly appreciate your reply, tips etc;
  2. Are there issues involving stored data - eg car has done 60,000 miles (100,000 Km) but used replacement is from car that had only done 70,000Km?
  3. I have seen hints that the engine immobilizer is integrated on the instrument cluster and must be reset by dealer. True?
  4. I am told that same clusters were identical from MY99 to MY06, and that there are no issues regarding the message centre or warning lights or gauges . . . save the fact that the cluster for both R variants carry the word "SUPERCHARGED" across both left and right gauges. All True?
  5. Any other help or advice gladly accepted.
Yes . . . I know . . . it would be easier to leave it alone . . . find another car . . . even abandon my darling Jags and go hide in a retirement home! But, I can't . . . I'm addicted. Please help!

Cheers,

Ken

Old 02-06-2016, 03:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I would try to see if just the (bezel?) with the markings can be swapped i.e. keep everything the same that's electrical/electronic.

Yes it's part of immo and more. For an 03+ S-Type I'm doubtful you'd succeed any other way and besides why struggle? I think the XK will be the same.

If you do try to swap the tough stuff have a workable plan for an immobilised car.

You can probably cajole someone into close up pics or try ebay ads to help you see if just the (plastic?) plate with the markings can be swapped.

Last edited by JagV8; 02-06-2016 at 03:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 06:04 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Finally, I have found a new partner for my final run S-Type and it is a gorgeous matching 2004 4.2L X100 - but, being a private import from UK to Australia, has an MPH i/c rather than KPH. After much thread searching, and ransacking Gus' resources at [JagRepair.com] where he has links to great pics on R&R i/c for globes, I need help and advice.

Basically, I have found no-one appears to have reported an i/c R&R. I understand why no British or US owner would need to change from MPH to KPH, and I am unsure of Euro situation where KPH reigns, but is LHD an issue?

Can anyone help with these questions -
  1. Has anyone actually done an XK8/R or XJ8/R instrument cluster swap? I realize I have 2 issues here - firstly "the swap" of say MPH for MPH to replace a dead gauge - then the "different units" ie KPH for MPH. If you have any such experiences, I would greatly appreciate your reply, tips etc;
  2. Are there issues involving stored data - eg car has done 60,000 miles (100,000 Km) but used replacement is from car that had only done 70,000Km?
  3. I have seen hints that the engine immobilizer is integrated on the instrument cluster and must be reset by dealer. True?
  4. I am told that same clusters were identical from MY99 to MY06, and that there are no issues regarding the message centre or warning lights or gauges . . . save the fact that the cluster for both R variants carry the word "SUPERCHARGED" across both left and right gauges. All True?
  5. Any other help or advice gladly accepted.
Yes . . . I know . . . it would be easier to leave it alone . . . find another car . . . even abandon my darling Jags and go hide in a retirement home! But, I can't . . . I'm addicted. Please help!

Cheers,

Ken
I think this is a good option:
Tachoscheibe Jaguar XK8 XKR XK100 XJ XJR X308 MPH ZU KMH Tacho Dial US | eBay

The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
I would try to see if just the (bezel?) with the markings can be swapped i.e. keep everything the same that's electrical/electronic.
Hi John, and thanks for prompt and very sensible advice. I had hoped that dial plate or bezel swap was the way to go. Thanks also to [Toaster] for link to a source of new bezels.

From elsewhere on NSW Regional post, I heard from Graham and Cambo - latter offering help with any reprogramming if necessary, but pointing to much the same approach via links to Lockwoods International in UK.

Many thanks to all. I will come back with update (a) when I have car and (b) when I have R&R completed.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 02-06-2016, 06:52 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Ken,
I had my XK8 2005MY instrument panel changed from MPH / KPH to KPH only
So the car could be imported to Australia,

Our local UK dealer carried this out as the car was still covered by three warranties.
This new unit gave the car a new clock display of 000000, so we lost the 12,000 miles from the original unit.

But to change this unit over this will require the use of a WDS or Mongoose dealer service tool to code it to the car.
And if it a used one then you would need make sure it is the correct version
For you car.
And to make this an expensive wast of time for us when the car arrived in Australia and we took it t o the local test station for it be checked to make sure confirmed to ADRs. We were told that the UK sppedo with Miles over K/PH would have been fine and they was no need to replace it.
And they were not aware of this requirement but that is South Australia !
Regards

Redpoptop

Old 02-06-2016, 02:48 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

You can just replace the faceplate on the speedo. I nearly bought a UK import, so I checked this out several months ago. Jaguar XK MPH to KMH Speedo meter clocks. Dials

Cost should be around $AUD200.

Cheers,

Stu

Old 02-07-2016, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Default 4.2L XK8 speedo MPH > KPH

Hi Redpoptop. Hey, what a bummer . . .
But I'm not aware of any Oz state that goes anywhere close to the MOT rot I see complained of at length in these and similar UK forums.

Imagine the outcry if they suddenly banned or insisted on conversions for all those classic, historic and veteran MPH cars tucked away around Australia. Shannons would spew! All those old XKs, beautiful Mk2s, our heart-snapping E-Type; not to mention all those Mustangs and Corvettes suddenly banned? WOW, you sure got some poor advice. That said, my determination to convert to KPH is now looking easier and affordable . . .

Hi also Stu, and thanks for your suggestion, but . . .

Alas, Lockwoods for Jaguars at least, appear to cater more for that market's need to convert KPH fitted cars to MPH - ie UK imports, not exports. For an XK needing KPH, they only offer 1 product (as per your link) and that don"t fit my XK8 which has a 1 piece triple instrument dial plate - central speedo flanked on left by tacho and on right by back-to-back temp/fuel. Annoying, as they have several such offerings among their far more prodigious MPH range - including the one I will be discarding!

From elsewhere, I may have sourced a German supplier of the correct KPH dial plate - again polycarbonate, not just a cheap vinyl stick-on. Thanks to everyone for helpful advice.

Cheers

Ken