S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type rear brake light issue

Old 02-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default S-Type rear brake light issue

Hello people,

I have 2006 S-Type 2.7D, issue I'm having is right side rear brake light is playing up, I've changed the bulbs many times without any luck.

Issue I'm having is when you press the brake paddle righ tside brake light bulb error shows on display+3rd brake light also flickers, When you turn the rear fog lights on the rear right side+3rd brake light stops working all together.

Here what I've done to rectify the problem checked all the connection+change the rear electric control module but no luck, now I need some help so please don't be shy any help or advice in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Shaz

Last edited by GGG; 02-04-2016 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Emphasise Model & Year
Old 02-03-2016, 10:28 AM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by shaz
Hello people,

I have 2006 S type 2.7D, issue I'm having is right side rear brake light is playing up, I've changed the bulbs many times without any luck.

Issue I'm having is when you press the brake paddle righ tside brake light bulb error shows on display+3rd brake light also flickers, When you turn the rear fog lights on the rear right side+3rd brake light stops working all together.

Here what I've done to rectify the problem checked all the connection+change the rear electric control module but no luck, now I need some help so please don't be shy any help or advice in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Shaz
Update,
I've tried swapping the lights holder with another S-type it did the same thing, the original holder worked fine in the other S-type too.

Thanks
Shaz

Old 02-03-2016, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

shaz, not wanting to teach me granny to suck eggs, have you checked the earth ( ground ) is making a circuit?

Have you tried the hard reset? Now this may sound a bit counter intuitive, take the -neg battery terminal off the battery.... now touch the -neg terminal to the +positive terminal that is still on the battery.... I have a rough idea of what you are thinking right now, ( c**t, that will involve a big blue spark, and toast my electrics ) but it will not!

If you want to play double, triple safe, undo both battery terminals and hold them together for about 30 secs.

What this does, is drain any voltage in the ECU s diodes, and resets them to a baseline default setting. Know your radio code before trying this!

The following users liked this post:
shaz (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by andrew lowe
shaz, not wanting to teach me granny to suck eggs, have you checked the earth ( ground ) is making a circuit?

Have you tried the hard reset? Now this may sound a bit counter intuitive, take the -neg battery terminal off the battery.... now touch the -neg terminal to the +positive terminal that is still on the battery.... I have a rough idea of what you are thinking right now, ( c**t, that will involve a big blue spark, and toast my electrics ) but it will not!

If you want to play double, triple safe, undo both battery terminals and hold them together for about 30 secs.

What this does, is drain any voltage in the ECU s diodes, and resets them to a baseline default setting. Know your radio code before trying this!
Thanks for your reply.

I've tried hard reset twice it didn't work, you also mentioned if earth is making a circuit here comes the dump part how do I check that?

Thanks
Shaz

Old 02-04-2016, 07:07 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by shaz
I have 2006 S type 2.7D, issue I'm having is right side rear brake light is playing up, I've changed the bulbs many times without any luck ........
Welcome to the forum Shaz,

I've moved your question from UK & Eire Region to X350 forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

shaz (02-05-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

It's a bit confusing but the S Type does not ground circuits like we are use to on older cars. All circuits are powered all the time.

When you make a demand to light something by say stepping on the brakes or flipping the turn signal. That tells the module controlling that bulb to supply a ground so the light will turn on. So you don't have grounds on the brake lights that you can trace and clean.

For the rear lights including the brakes the REM (Rear Electronics Module) is required to supply the ground. That's why you can swap bulbs and even entire brake light units with no change. Your problem is not in those items. It's in the module supplying the ground which is the REM.

Try swapping the REM but be aware that the entire car is a computer network and you need to download what is currently in the REM then install your replacement REM then fill that replacement module with the settings you just downloaded from the old module. This is almost always a dealer unless you have a serious scan/programming tool like the Moongoose JLR or IDS/SDD.

Something like this;
Drew Technologies : Introduction

Now some module don't require this but all the major ones do like the REM, FEM, GEM, DDM and a bunch more. Smaller Auxiliary ones like for the parking sensors or the Bluetooth stuff you can just swap out.

When you swapped the REM did you check if needed programming? That might be your problem.

shaz (02-05-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

In effect power and ground functions are swapped (but the car body is still ground). So where you used to check ground you now check power. You only need to check ground to the module.

Often a rear light fault is someone fitted the wrong kind of bulb or flipped it around. They NEARLY fit but cause faults.

shaz (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by tbird6
It's a bit confusing but the S Type does not ground circuits like we are use to on older cars. All circuits are powered all the time.

When you make a demand to light something by say stepping on the brakes or flipping the turn signal. That tells the module controlling that bulb to supply a ground so the light will turn on. So you don't have grounds on the brake lights that you can trace and clean.

For the rear lights including the brakes the REM (Rear Electronics Module) is required to supply the ground. That's why you can swap bulbs and even entire brake light units with no change. Your problem is not in those items. It's in the module supplying the ground which is the REM.

Try swapping the REM but be aware that the entire car is a computer network and you need to download what is currently in the REM then install your replacement REM then fill that replacement module with the settings you just downloaded from the old module. This is almost always a dealer unless you have a serious scan/programming tool like the Moongoose JLR or IDS/SDD.

Something like this;
Drew Technologies : Introduction

Now some module don't require this but all the major ones do like the REM, FEM, GEM, DDM and a bunch more. Smaller Auxiliary ones like for the parking sensors or the Bluetooth stuff you can just swap out.

When you swapped the REM did you check if needed programming? That might be your problem.
Hi, Thanks for your reply, I bought a used REM from ebay with matching part number so would it still need reprogramming?

Old 02-05-2016, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I think it's part of immo in which case yes.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

I purchest a matching used recm for my 03 Str , it plugged and played perfectly!

shaz (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 10:10 AM
Default Solved

After reading a excellent reviews on PH for Ultimate Cats - Independent Jaguar Service Centre based in the North West London, UK I give Paul a call explained the issue I was having he told me to look at the 10 amp red fuses in the boot after replacing the blown fuse the problem is gone.

didn't need changing REM or any bulbs.

So big thank you to everyone here and Paul at Ultimate cats, if your having any issue with your cat call Paul before you spend any money.

Thank you
Shaz

The following 2 users liked this post by shaz:
Datsports (02-05-2016), Norri (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
I think it's part of immo in which case yes.
Yes your right it is part of the immo but as I matched the part no it didn't need programming.