Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello new to site and already need answers on XKR purchase price

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 04:30 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Hello new to site and already need answers on XKR purchase price

https://baxtercu.truecarusedcars.com...DA41B563A47509

Hi new to the site and i want the car in the link a 2006 XKR with 64k miles, it's in wilsonville Oregon 15miles from Portland. Any guy or gal live in portland? Its at the Benz dealer in Wilsonville. Sell price of $22k but I think my offer of 18 is fair since I have to pay $1000 to ship to Louisiana and it only 5/32 thread on the 20 inch tires cost at least 1000 for good set probably need by summer if not sooner with rainy months coming and foggy headlight deserves something of may have to replace if cant repair. I have $20k approval from my bank but you know I have to pay taxes once I get it here too.

My questions are how can I tell if it's a Victory edition, it's has carbon fiber, bbs 20 inch wheels, nav etc. or a car with handling package? Is my offer fair or what is the worth truly in this market for this generation R coupe? Any and all suggestions on price or any input is welcomed.

J Jukes

Old 02-20-2014, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Welcome to the forum and, hopefully, to the wonderful world of Jaguars!

I would suggest that rather than buy this or any car sight unseen that you pay for an independent inspection. There is just no way of knowing how good, or bad, a deal this might turn out to be. You should be able to get a qualified technician to do a thorough inspection for somewhere around $250 and they could answer all your questions on site. There is an inspection check list in the stickies above.

Good Luck!

Last edited by test point; 02-20-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:50 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

+1 - that's a high risk strategy for buying a Jaguar.

Apart from distinctive body colours and trim, the Victory Edition has checker flags either side of the grille badge and on the door tread plates making them very easy to spot.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Hello new to site and already need answers on XKR purchase price-vicc.jpg   Hello new to site and already need answers on XKR purchase price-hjb-6034-bb.jpg  
Old 02-20-2014, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Hello new to site and already need answers on XKR purchase price-image.jpg
It also has smoked tail lights. These are victory edition I installed on my xk8.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Juke
https://baxtercu.truecarusedcars.com...DA41B563A47509

Hi new to the site and i want the car in the link a 2006 XKR with 64k miles, it's in wilsonville Oregon 15miles from Portland. Any guy or gal live in portland? Its at the Benz dealer in Wilsonville. Sell price of $22k but I think my offer of 18 is fair since I have to pay $1000 to ship to Louisiana and it only 5/32 thread on the 20 inch tires cost at least 1000 for good set probably need by summer if not sooner with rainy months coming and foggy headlight deserves something of may have to replace if cant repair. I have $20k approval from my bank but you know I have to pay taxes once I get it here too.

My questions are how can I tell if it's a Victory edition, it's has carbon fiber, bbs 20 inch wheels, nav etc. or a car with handling package? Is my offer fair or what is the worth truly in this market for this generation R coupe? Any and all suggestions on price or any input is welcomed.

J Jukes
I saw the pics on the dealer's site - gorgeous piece of machinery. If I didn't already have my 2005xkr, I'd be buying the one you're looking at. This is the last year model - the Victory edition with relatively low mileage and 20" rims. The price seems reasonable for such a desirable car. If you can, fly out there and do an on site inspection with professional inspector, I highly recommend it. Coupes are so rare and who knows when another one comes to market. If the car is a solid, clear title, no accident vehicle, it will fetch the asking price, which by the way, is reasonable.
If it makes you feel better, I bought my coupe exactly a year ago from a Ferrari/Maserati dealer in Scotsdale, Arizona. Paid $1,200.00 for transport and have no regrets whatsoever. The Jag that you're considering is only the 2nd coupe that I would consider buying that I have seen for sale since I bought my car. Good luck with making the right decision.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by test point
Welcome to the forum and, hopefully, to the wonderful world of Jaguars!

I would suggest that rather than buy this or any car sight unseen that you pay for an independent inspection. There is just no way of knowing how good, or bad, a deal this might turn out to be. You should be able to get a qualified technician to do a thorough inspection for somewhere around $250 and they could answer all your questions on site. There is an inspection check list in the stickies above.

Good Luck!
Thanks, I have a nice 2001 VDP of 5 years that I'm selling to a relative and now it's time to get the XKR.

I'm getting PDXinspections to do the used car platinum inspection for me with photos for $199 or should I just go with the 119$ without pictures since Ihave pix from site and extra from salesman that I requested? I'm trying to not spend an extra $600 on tickets to come there to just test drive the car and fly back and still have to spend $1200 on shipping.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by DevSpider
I saw the pics on the dealer's site - gorgeous piece of machinery. If I didn't already have my 2005xkr, I'd be buying the one you're looking at. This is the last year model - the Victory edition with relatively low mileage and 20" rims. The price seems reasonable for such a desirable car. If you can, fly out there and do an on site inspection with professional inspector, I highly recommend it. Coupes are so rare and who knows when another one comes to market. If the car is a solid, clear title, no accident vehicle, it will fetch the asking price, which by the way, is reasonable.
If it makes you feel better, I bought my coupe exactly a year ago from a Ferrari/Maserati dealer in Scotsdale, Arizona. Paid $1,200.00 for transport and have no regrets whatsoever. The Jag that you're considering is only the 2nd coupe that I would consider buying that I have seen for sale since I bought my car. Good luck with making the right decision.
Thanks, so it is Victory edition?! Great. I love the car but just want to get the best deal with the way the value of Jaguars sink. Don't want to over pay either. I plan on keeping it for a while so I also have a $3000 warranty I'm getting that covers everything for the next 4 years.

The car has everything I'm looking for but the distance, extra costs of shipping and not seeing it first-hand is nerve racking. That's why it had to be bought fair.

Last edited by Juke; 02-21-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:17 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

......... I'm getting PDXinspections to do the used car platinum inspection for me with photos for $199 or should I just go with the 119$ without pictures since Ihave pix from site and extra from salesman that I requested? I'm trying to not spend an extra $600 on tickets to come there to just test drive the car and fly back and still have to spend $1200 on shipping.
The pictures aren't going to shown you much more than you have already seen from the vendor's website so the extra $80 is better in your pocket.

Several members have made successful long distance purchases in this way without ever first seeing the vehicle for themselves.

As I recall, the only times it's gone wrong has been the shipper's fault - marked from careless handling or missing items. Choose carefully.

Graham

Old 02-21-2014, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Thanks, so it is Victory edition?! Great. I love the car but just want to get the best deal with the way the value of Jaguars sink. Don't want to over pay either. I plan on keeping it for a while so I also have a $3000 warranty I'm getting that covers everything for the next 4 years.

The car has everything I'm looking for but the distance, extra costs of shipping and not seeing it first-hand is nerve racking. That's why it had to be bought fair.
I would seriously think about the extra insurance I had it too and not one issue I've had has been covered. It seems its mostly for catastrophic problems. My issues have been leaking hoses, shocks, brakes and such. And from what I've seen, all of the major issues were finally cleaned up by 2005-6.
I finally canceled my insurance for a refund after I had to pay over 2000 on things not covered.
Honestly, you'd be better putting the 3000 in an account and having it there for unknown repairs. If you want to put good money into it, immediately after purchase, have all fluids changed to the highest sinthetics they make. And have the transmission fluid changed with new filters and such. That's a bit of a pain, but I'm glad I'd did.
I've not known one person with a 2005-6 that has had any major issue. When I bought mine, I was looking for that model but convertible. I simply couldn't afford the asking price. In the upper 20k's. but I've probably put $6-7k in my 2002 just for mechanics. Probably should have pushed my purchase budget.

Last edited by philhef; 02-21-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Welcome to the forum! This site is full of tips and knowledge that could literally save you thousands of dollars.

As others have confirmed the car you are looking at is indeed a Victory Edition, and a rare coupe at that. Only 584 coupes were made during the final year of production, and although I have yet to find a breakdown of how many of those were 4.2S/Victory Edition models, it is fairly rare.

I am the original owner of my 06 convertible and have really only had three major non-brake maintenance related issues (major = over $ 1,000 ea.)
  1. Hydraulic lines for the convertible latch (green shower)
  2. Throttle body - TPS
  3. Power Steering rack
Obviously you would not need to deal with the hydraulic lines and the power steering rack was probably self inflicted as the outer seals most likely failed due to a long term, very slight wheel vibration. A key to the feel/handling of these cars are the alignment and Hunter road force balancing of the wheels, it is especially critical for cars equipped with the 20" wheels.

The only really expensive maintenance item are the brakes, factory components are really pricey so shop carefully for quality aftermarket discs and pads and you could save about $1,200.

The first thing I would do if I were to get a car like the one you are looking at is a transmission service (filter, fluid and pan), just due to the age. Additionally I'd check all the suspension bushes and shocks (dampers). Specifically check the control arm bushings and top shock mounts as the former can wear out quickly and the latter can deteriorate with age. The supercharger belt should also be on your checklist.

If you want to find out more about your car you can befriend your local, knowledgeable, Jaguar dealer (if there is one) and, if supplied with the VIN, they should be able to run a "warranty report" for you. This will tell you any recorded dealer service and what options your car was equipped with.

In my opinion these are great cars and if you find a good example you will not be disappointed.

Good luck with your negotiating!

P.S. you may prefer to use a search engine like Google to look for specific topics within the forum, the forum's search tool is a bit weak.

The following users liked this post:
The_Ikon (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

I purchased my wife's 2006 XK8 Victory Edition convertible a little over two years ago, also working long-distance as you are (we are in NC, the car was in FL). I had the advantage of a trusted auction broker doing all of the work for me who also happens to be a member of this forum. We had the car inspected prior to him getting down and dirty with the seller. He saved me about $5,000 based upon what I had been trying to do on my own for several months prior to me deciding to "let George do it". It's been a great car, my wife still loves it more than any car she's ever had (she's taken it from 36,000 miles at acquisition in early February 2012 to 76,700 miles today), and I would follow this process again in a heartbeat due to the cost savings....

You may want to consider getting him involved - I guarantee you he can save you some serious money. He's George Androulakis, he's in NJ but can work your deal anywhere in the US, and you can send him a PM via his screen name here on the forum - it's "androulakis"....

He can also save you some money in shipping by setting you up with his own shipping contacts. On my own, shipping our XK8 from FL to NC would have been about $600 and would have taken three days. George got it done in less than two days and it cost me just $325 or so. I cannot recommend him highly enough....

Good luck and keep us posted on how it turns out for you.

Last edited by Jon89; 02-21-2014 at 09:44 AM.
The_Ikon (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 10:29 AM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Attached is the brochure for the 2006 MY. It does look like a Victory edition---beautiful car! I like the paint color---but I'm a bit biased on that one. Good Luck

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2006_XK Brochure.pdf (1.09 MB, 173 views)
The_Ikon (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

No doubt it is a Victory Edition, even down to the special leather trimmed/logo floor mats in the front.

If the car is in as good a shape as the photos suggest, the asking price looks pretty reasonable.

Good luck!

Doug

Old 02-21-2014, 01:20 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Welcome to the site and that car is nice! I had a friend who was in Portland looked at it for me, he said it runs great but the car rode kinda harsh. And this coming from a guy with a 2010' corvette, he wasnt sure if it was the hankook tires (he said the right rear needs replacing ASAP and all within a few thousand miles) or the suspension. He also said there was belt chatter/noise upon start up, but cleared up. I saw the car first on a YouTube. And you brought up a great point about the Victory Edition which makes the car more appealing.

I've spoke to a salesman there that was very helpful. I guess my offer was to aggressive LOL!

As for a warranty if I was to purchase it I'll get a warranty too, because a major problem will cost you big time. With the mileage you could go for a gold plan for with less miles and higher deductible to save extra coin.

Hey, if they accept $18999 or less let me know so I can buy it! :-)

Last edited by The_Ikon; 02-21-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
I purchased my wife's 2006 XK8 Victory Edition convertible a little over two years ago, also working long-distance as you are (we are in NC, the car was in FL). I had the advantage of a trusted auction broker doing all of the work for me who also happens to be a member of this forum. We had the car inspected prior to him getting down and dirty with the seller. He saved me about $5,000 based upon what I had been trying to do on my own for several months prior to me deciding to "let George do it". It's been a great car, my wife still loves it more than any car she's ever had (she's taken it from 36,000 miles at acquisition in early February 2012 to 76,700 miles today), and I would follow this process again in a heartbeat due to the cost savings....

You may want to consider getting him involved - I guarantee you he can save you some serious money. He's George Androulakis, he's in NJ but can work your deal anywhere in the US, and you can send him a PM via his screen name here on the forum - it's "androulakis"....

He can also save you some money in shipping by setting you up with his own shipping contacts. On my own, shipping our XK8 from FL to NC would have been about $600 and would have taken three days. George got it done in less than two days and it cost me just $325 or so. I cannot recommend him highly enough....

Good luck and keep us posted on how it turns out for you.
Check your private message... Thanks

Old 02-21-2014, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by The_Ikon
Welcome to the site and that car is nice! I had a friend who was in Portland looked at it for me, he said it runs great but the car rode kinda harsh. And this coming from a guy with a 2010' corvette, he wasnt sure if it was the hankook tires (he said the right rear needs replacing ASAP and all within a few thousand miles) or the suspension. He also said there was belt chatter/noise upon start up, but cleared up. I saw the car first on a YouTube. And you brought up a great point about the Victory Edition which makes the car more appealing.

I've spoke to a salesman there that was very helpful. I guess my offer was to aggressive LOL!

As for a warranty if I was to purchase it I'll get a warranty too, because a major problem will cost you big time. With the mileage you could go for a gold plan for with less miles and higher deductible to save extra coin.

Hey, if they accept $18999 or less let me know so I can buy it! :-)
I'll let you know for suuuuuuuuuuure. After I buy it! LOL

My inspection is scheduled for Monday morning and I will have him to double check the area you mentioned that your friend observed. I'll search for options on the warranty as well. Good luck in your search elsewhere! Seriously good luck.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mountaincat
Attached is the brochure for the 2006 MY. It does look like a Victory edition---beautiful car! I like the paint color---but I'm a bit biased on that one. Good Luck
Thanks for the brochure I printed off at work. I'm excited! You guys are going to make me over pay! Stop it!

Old 02-22-2014, 07:29 AM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Juke,
For shipping, consider uship.com. Get some quotes, then offer 30% less then your best quote. I used the site a few times and was really happy with the service and the price.
For the aftermarket warranty, even though I don't recommend you getting one on a 2006 car with 65K miles, consider Costco. They offer one of the most comprehensive policies out there. It's not cheap, but it is the best, because they cover almost everything on the car.
I decided not to get the warranty. Instead, put away a few hundred dollars into a rainy day account. If something breaks down, use the money from that account for repairs. If the car was properly maintained, everything should be just fine with it. 2003-2006 cars, in general, are very reliable.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:07 PM

They sold the car this morning. My sales guy called yesterday and told me the car was reduced to $19,800 & if I was ready to move on it I maybe able to get it for $19000. I countered with $18600 bottom line and it's done. I'll send deposit asap.

He returned the called within 5 min and said another salesman had a customer who had a deposit on it good for 48 hours. and if the deal failed thru they would accept my offer!

He called a few minutes ago and said it was sold!
Hey Juke if you got it let us know!!!!!!

Last edited by The_Ikon; 02-28-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by The_Ikon
They sold the car this morning. My sales guy called yesterday and told me the car was reduced to $19,800 & if I was ready to move on it I maybe able to get it for $19000. I countered with $18600 bottom line and it's done. I'll send deposit asap.

He returned the called within 5 min and said another salesman had a customer who had a deposit on it good for 48 hours. and if the deal failed thru they would accept my offer!

He called a few minutes ago and said it was sold!
Hey Juke if you got it let us know!!!!!!
No it wasn't me and I'm glad I didn't purchase it. No one called me with a reduced price after my fiancee was looking at the car online and noticed the internet special they had on it but my salesman Perry Thompson kept trying to push the higher price on me.

On the inspection I got the car badly needed tires, brake job front with rotors, headlight of course shown, antennae motor, belts dry crack needing to change asap and disc player worked sporadically. After the inspection I offered them $18k myself :-)

Plus I've been fighting this damn flu! But on the bright side I sold my van den plas. Hit me up with any leads forum guys.

Juke

Quick Reply: Hello new to site and already need answers on XKR purchase price