XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help before I buy an xk8

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 07:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help before I buy an xk8

I went to look at a 1999 xk8 cabrio yesterday that I am tempted to buy, but it has a couple gremlins that I am concerned about. It has approx 103,000 miles and will be in need of cosmetic repair in the near future.
The car starts, runs and drives like a dream... But if you put it over to manual shift, it immediately goes into limp mode. The seller apparently had it into the tranny shop in town and tranny checked out good, they suspected a sensor and told him to take it to the dealership as they didn't want to play with jaguar sensors.
Seller also said that the tranny overheat warning light has come on several times, even immediately on startup after sitting overnight.
Lastly, the traction control is stuck on... But the button isn't springy anymore so I suspect it is just stuck and needs the "butter knife" treatment.
Sorry, I know it's a whole lot of reading... But I would hate to dump a couple thousand into the car right after buying it.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Solareclipse69ca
I went to look at a 1999 xk8 cabrio yesterday that I am tempted to buy, but it has a couple gremlins that I am concerned about. It has approx 103,000 miles and will be in need of cosmetic repair in the near future.
The car starts, runs and drives like a dream... But if you put it over to manual shift, it immediately goes into limp mode. The seller apparently had it into the tranny shop in town and tranny checked out good, they suspected a sensor and told him to take it to the dealership as they didn't want to play with jaguar sensors.
Seller also said that the tranny overheat warning light has come on several times, even immediately on startup after sitting overnight.
Lastly, the traction control is stuck on... But the button isn't springy anymore so I suspect it is just stuck and needs the "butter knife" treatment.
Sorry, I know it's a whole lot of reading... But I would hate to dump a couple thousand into the car right after buying it.
I am really not sure how serious your known problems are. Another thing to consider: do you know if this car has had its chain tensioners upgraded?

To be frank, a 15 year old XK8 with over 100K is going to need some significant work both repair and maintenance. Unless you have records indicating it was fastidiously maintained, you are probably in for some significant expenditures, so if the $2K is concerning you might be looking at the wrong car or buying it at the wrong price.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-19-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default if i was u - two options

offer him a lot less or don't buy it.
Personally I never use manual mode i just leave it in D.
The overheating msg is of course a big worry if it is actually over-heating.
The guy selling it will have great trouble selling it as it is.
So if he'll knock off a significant sum - take it to a Jag Indie get him to change the engine and tranny oils and give it a good checkover/check/clear msgs.
What kind of money is he after?
Over here in the UK he'd get max £3000 for that soft top car with those potential problems. I.M.O.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:25 AM

The cam tensioners have been replaced/upgraded already, and seller does have maintenance records... But from your post it sounds as though the xk8's are problematic?
Essentially this car is priced approx $4000 less than any others I have found within a 16 hour drive radius, yet that would reflect the issues I suppose

Old 04-19-2014, 08:30 AM

His asking price is $8000, but he is negotiable. There are 5 other xk8's for sale within the radius, least expensive is $11,000 (plus travel expenses to go pick it up)

Old 04-19-2014, 11:07 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not sure about the market in Canada, but here $7500 US would buy a car with a lot less problems than the one you are looking at.

Last edited by Best Cars; 04-19-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

As WhiteXKR indicated above, be aware that you just don't purchase these cars without having a rolling $3,000 maintenance fund available to you. There are well-known issues that must be addressed, some easy and inexpensive and others not so easy and more costly. That said, these are indeed fantastic grand touring cars once the issues have been addressed. They hold up better when driven regularly and they can indeed go for 150,000+ miles if properly cared for. The 2003-and-newer models generally have fewer inherent issues in addition to the 4.2 litre engine with no tensioner worries. But they all present their challenges from time to time, and you must be prepared to address them. You'll find this forum is hands-down the best tool in your toolbox. Always an engaging and highly-informed community here willing to go the extra mile to help you figure out your issues and get them sorted as economically as possible. But you need to have that rolling maintenance fund in place as your best defense in the event it is needed....

Spend some time reading the FAQ threads at the top of this section. Tons of information that will bring you up to speed on the pros and cons of these cars relatively quickly....

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 11:27 AM

I greatly appreciate all the feedback! Nice to have many years of combined experience at your fingertips to guide you in the right direction.
Might have to let this one pass and just keep my eyes peeled for another one to come along

Old 04-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default if u were happy (ish) to pay $8000

offer him $5000 cash take it or leave it - be prepared to walk - tell him he can even think about it and he can get back to u within 24 hours but that is your final offer. or just leave it...

Old 04-19-2014, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

I greatly appreciate all the feedback! Nice to have many years of combined experience at your fingertips to guide you in the right direction.
Might have to let this one pass and just keep my eyes peeled for another one to come along

If it were me, I think I'd try to talk him down to the $5.5k to $6k range before I drop it completely. The money you save would probably cover your maintenance expenses. As for the transmission issues, you could try a independent Mercedes shop, as I believe the XK8, like the early XKRs, have a Mercedes transmission. If so, it'll be easier to find an independent Mercedes shop than an independent Jaguar shop and would be cheaper than a Jag dealer. At the very least, ask the guy if you could have a independent Mercedes shop check out the transmission. It might cost a few hundred dollars to troubleshoot the transmission problem but it might be worth it given the price of other XK8s. Just my 2 cents.

Mark

Old 04-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by mjlaris
If it were me, As for the transmission issues, you could try a independent Mercedes shop, as I believe the XK8, like the early XKRs, have a Mercedes transmission. If so, it'll be easier to find an independent Mercedes shop than an independent Jaguar shop and would be cheaper than a Jag dealer. At the very least, ask the guy if you could have a independent Mercedes shop check out the transmission.
Mark
The N/A XK8s all use ZF Transmissions. 1997-02 use a ZF 5 Speed and the 2003-06 use a ZF 6 Speed.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik
The N/A XK8s all use ZF Transmissions. 1997-02 use a ZF 5 Speed and the 2003-06 use a ZF 6 Speed.

So much for that idea. I don't know what else to suggest.

Mark

Old 04-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

The ZF's were used in BMW's as well...... My shifter gave me an error going from "4" to "D" until I adjusted the shifter cable......It could also just be the microswitch that tells the TCM where the shift lever is....that part does not sound serious. Don't know anything about the overheat message...if it's on startup it could be a glitch but buying price should reflect the possibility of an overhaul.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Would recommend going for the most you can spend and focus on low mileage and good cosmetics. Then allow a few thousand to replace the tensioners and all the rubber parts if the car is less than 10 years old. Hopefully that ensures you will get the best all around value for the lowest outlay. Remember, these cars were $70-80k when new.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts
Default 2004 immaculate xk8 for sale

guys i have a stunning 2004 xk8 for sale but i live in Ireland, may suit someone in uk, i'm looking for £7000 for it, send me message with you e-mail anyone interested and i'll send pics and details. it has a xkr features well worth a look, can i sell on this site, if so how i place add. Getting 2007 xkr next friday, can't wait

Last edited by powerhouse; 04-19-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:14 AM
Default Hmmm

Originally Posted by mjlaris
If it were me, I think I'd try to talk him down to the $5.5k to $6k range before I drop it completely. The money you save would probably cover your maintenance expenses.
Mark
He said he would take 6k... But I'm still unsure. It's going to be another $1000 just to switch registration into my name. It makes me sound like a cheapskate, but id I like to call it "being wise with your investment" haha

Old 04-20-2014, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member

He said he would take 6k... But I'm still unsure. It's going to be another $1000 just to switch registration into my name. It makes me sound like a cheapskate, but id I like to call it "being wise with your investment" haha

The bottom line is that you have to be comfortable with what you buy. You are going to pay less up front for a car that has issues but then need to be prepared to spend a few thousand on repairs/maintenance. On the other hand, a car that has been well maintained will cost more up front.

Mark

Old 04-20-2014, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Keep in mind that this transaction is NOT an investment, it's an expense. Big difference....

Jag#4 (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
Keep in mind that this transaction is NOT an investment, it's an expense. Big difference....

That is a true statement. While these Jaguars MAY eventually become classics, this will likely NOT happen for another 30 years. Owning a Jaguar is a labor of love and the constant maintenance is the price we pay for driving these rolling works of art. I get more joy out of driving my 2002 XKR than almost anything else in my life and would gladly pay many times what I currently pay for maintenance.

Mark

01Silverstone (04-20-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 07:06 PM

Wise words. I don't look at my current or future cars as a financial investment, (you never come ahead when trying to flip vehicles) but as an investment into my enjoyment of driving them, learning about them and yes...even working on them. It's upsetting when a car malfunctions, but a quiet night in the garage wrenching always puts a smile on my face. Just as long all my cars don't cav at the same time and leave me walking!

Quick Reply: Help before I buy an xk8