XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with exhaust

Hello all, I'm a newbie to the site and also a new xkr owner. I wanted to upgrade the exhaust note with a deeper sound, is Mina my only source for this? if not can anyone tell me the others that will fit and thedifference between the diff exhaust? Any company info would be appreciated.

Also , I saw some 911 tips and loved them, do these fit on any exhaust? How are they installed. Thanks

Old 07-28-2011, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

There are a number of ways to make your exhaust louder. That's the real issue. There are 5 mufflers on a stock system. Replacing or removing one or more is what you'll want to do.

You can take out the center muffler and putting an X or H pipe.

You can remove one or both sets of rear mufflers, keep the center muffler, or just put replacement flowmasters... I think 30's or 40's are what is typically used.

You can also replace the catalytic converters with the Nameless Performance high flow downpipes.

Mina replaces the exhaust after the center muffler. Arden also makes a kit. Another company that I'm aware of is Milltek, though I haven't seen any reviews.

Or you can pick and choose any number of the above modifications.

Any half-baked exhaust shop can make you a decent exhaust. There are also plenty of companies that will custom fit a performance exhaust as well.

Right now, on both my XKR and XK8 I have the center muffler removed and H pipes installed. I plan on doing a full cat-back exhaust based off the NP cats and Mina kit on my XKR sometime in the near future. I think I'll go with a center X pipe and just the mina mufflers, but it might be too loud for my liking. Still not sure what my solution will be, but after upgrading the cats, the biggest restriction to the system is the over-axle tubes... Taking them out will probably change the exhaust signature significantly.

Not sure about the tips, sorry.

Last edited by xenophobe; 07-28-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stevetrif, I recently modified my exhaust. I simply had the center muffler removed, and a Flowmaster "X" pipe installed. This is a mild upgrade, with a nice mellow sound. I may add more sound later, however I wasn't sure which way to go so I decided to take it one step at a time.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Default Mina Exhaust

I installed the Mina exhaust on my 2000 XKR. It has a nice sound, not too loud and my wife loves it, which is good. Luckily I have a hoist so it was pretty painless although the directions were not the best. Had to call them but they were courteous and helped me through. I am going to put the same exhaust system on my new to me 2002 XKR in a couple of weeks.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Default Exhaust system

Thank you all for the info, I learned alot, I think i'm leaning toward the mina system, I don't want it too loud but some more rumble woulod be nice.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

You can also contact Nameless Performance , they're one of our vendors and have got a perfect customer feedback

Old 07-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I think the general consensus is as follows, in order of progressive 'audible volume increase'
  1. Remove center muffler, add an X-pipe in its place; you can hear the engine now, low rumble, but very tame
  2. Remove center muffler, add an H-pipe in its place (slightly louder than #1)
  3. Remove center muffler, add an __ - pipe, remove pre-axle resonators
  4. Remove center muffler, add an __ - pipe, remove all post-cat boxes...add 3rd party resonators to suit taste