Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Full Key & Lock Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Full Key & Lock Replacement

Hi to all,

I am a brand new member with a US-Spec 1999 XK8 Coupe and an old 1988 XJ-S V12 Coupe. I am seasoned with the XJ-S but brand new to the XK8 and have already delved into a heap of issues!

I just purchased the car recently with one key and was robbed last week in a home invasion, where unfortunately, the robbers stole (among other things) my car keys, and the only key to the XK8. Luckily, I left the car unlocked!

I would have tried to have a key made for the car, but the people who robbed me would still have access to the car, so I am forced to change out the locks. I purchased replacement key and lock barrel set off eBay and went out yesterday evening to see if I could change the barrel out of the ignition and then get it re-programmed, but all I can find on the internet is removing the barrel with the original key, and then depressing the tab.

I don't have the original key! Is there a different way to do this or will I have to get a locksmith to drill-out the old barrel?

I have the lower part of the steering column shroud off but the steering lock is engaged, the only saving grace is that the key from the replacement lock & key set that I bought will allow the lights to come on inside and the steering wheel memory to slide the steering wheel out, but obviously the key won't turn to get the steering unlocked or the car to the "on" position.

Has anyone else gone through this or have any creative ideas?

Many thanks!

Old 11-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update

Update: I have (found out that it was possible to) decided to get the dealer in Louisville to make a new key off the VIN and reprogram the car to accept the new key and not the old one. I think this should solve my problem, thanks again!

Old 11-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Lyons
Update: I have (found out that it was possible to) decided to get the dealer in Louisville to make a new key off the VIN and reprogram the car to accept the new key and not the old one. I think this should solve my problem, thanks again!
I believe that this means that the Old Key would still unlock the door and the Steering Wheel, but the car would not Start.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

I don't know about a '99, but my locksmith spent almost three hours cutting and programming just two plain old keys for '03. After THAT experience, I wouldn't know what in the world to do in your situation.

I do believe that your programming issues won't be as bad as mine were. Someone with better knowledge please back me up here, but I think around the '02/'03 model year is when Jaguar went nuts with the key programming stuff.

Too bad your not closer - I'd hook you up with my guy. He did a very consciencious job at a reasonable cost.

Good luck - Jim