XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Power Steering Pump Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 11:36 PM
Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Help with Power Steering Pump Removal

My power steering pump sprung a sudden significant leak yesterday. I consulted the shop manual and the instructions have the removal of the pulley while the pump is still mounted to the engine. My challenge is that when trying to remove the 3 bolts that hold the pulley on, the pulley also rotates making the removal of the bolts impossible.

Has anyone had a similar issue? I don't want to mangle the pulley with vice-grips or wedging a pry bar somewhere that my damage the pulley or surrounding structure.

Can the pump be removed without taking the pulley off? There also appears to be a bolt that looks like it holds the 2 halves of the pump together has backed its way out about 10mm (could this cause my leak? .. sorry no pictures yet).

Much appreciation in advance!

Old 08-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Does she rotate even with belt still on?

I have a big old stilsen wrench that has gotton me through circumstances like this. That's the wrench used for plumbing whose jaws tighten more and more with increased torque in a chosen direction. Put the stilsen on the pulley, it's jaws are wide enough.

3) do you have a compressor? A tool like an impact
wrench will transmit force so fast the shaft (or pulley in this case) can't overcome it's own inertia - the nut is lose before the pulley can turn in many cases.

Hope 1 of these works for you.

John

Old 08-05-2017, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Does she rotate even with belt still on?

I have a big old stilsen wrench that has gotton me through circumstances like this. That's the wrench used for plumbing whose jaws tighten more and more with increased torque in a chosen direction. Put the stilsen on the pulley, it's jaws are wide enough.

3) do you have a compressor? A tool like an impact
wrench will transmit force so fast the shaft (or pulley in this case) can't overcome it's own inertia - the nut is lose before the pulley can turn in many cases.

Hope 1 of these works for you.

John
Thanks for the help! The pulley still spins with the belt on. I'm going to remove the fans so I can get an impact wrench in that space. If that doesnt work I'll try the Stilsen wrench. Much Aloha.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

You're welcome. Just in case 1st time: keep a close eye on the upper left and right radiator nuts, they fall out easy.
John

Old 08-07-2017, 01:20 AM

I got the pulley off with the air wrench, easy. Now my concern is removing the high-pressure hoses from the pump. Do I need a special tool or is this straight forward hand tools?

Old 08-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

J, I don't know. You may want to launch a new thread to get eyes on your question
John

Old 02-25-2022, 12:55 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jobagadonuts
I got the pulley off with the air wrench, easy. Now my concern is removing the high-pressure hoses from the pump. Do I need a special tool or is this straight forward hand tools?
And, did you get it off and replace it???? The purpose of this forum is to help members diagnose problems and repair or replace any components needed. If we don't get follow-up, how does that help anyone else. Of course, pictures are always welcome.

Ken K.

Old 03-25-2022, 06:46 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
And, did you get it off and replace it???? The purpose of this forum is to help members diagnose problems and repair or replace any components needed. If we don't get follow-up, how does that help anyone else. Of course, pictures are always welcome.

Ken K.
My saga is still ongoing, but we made a big break today

FINALLY!

My son placed a 1/2" X 36" round breaker bar against the a/c pulley and gave the 5/8" stubby a little push. The nut FINALLY broke loose. That's way over the top for normal maintenance.

We have been searching for an "O" ring seal. So far, not finding one on the line connection or up in the pump with a small pick. All the replacements I see for sale have an "O" ring at the end. So....hmmmmmmmmm.....I guess removal of the pump has once again become mandatory.

I would rather keep this original HP line with the 90 degree bend. The newer lines/fittings look even harder to line up and start threading in.

Anyway, "good" for now.

Ken