XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, question about battery.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, question about battery.

I have an XKR 2001, and it goes into "fail safe" mode on us when we drive plus trac control cuts off and little things like that. I was wondering if a dying battery could make this happen. I ask this because it went completely dead one day and I charged the battery back up and put it back in and the problem went away. At least for less than 20 miles of driving.
Would a drain on the batt. cause these electrical messages? Could it be as simple as a short or dying battery?
Thanks to all who help us,
MoxDZ

Old 09-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

Welcome to the forum.Yes, a weak battery can cause random error codes. We don't know where you live, but if there is a parts store like Autozone in your country, ask them to load test the battery.
When you have time please visit the new member area and introduce yourself. Link below:
New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 09-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I wouldn't waste my time trying to keep a battery that constantly requires a charge, especially not on these cars. They have a lot of very voltage-sensitive devices and if your battery is on the fritz, it might be time to replace it outright. And of course, check the charging system all around. Bad alternator? Bad belt? Could be related.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:54 AM
GGG
Received 16,759 Likes on 12,148 Posts

Welcome to the forum MoxDZ,

The battery definitely sounds prime suspect from what you describe but the main cable from the battery to the junction box in the luggage compartment is also noted for loosening at the box and causing these kinds of issues. Either way, an easy fix.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 09-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not battery. . .

Ok first thanks to all that have responded. I have bad news though. After replacing the battery the issue continues. More details, the screen gives these massages: "failsafe engine mode" "trac not available" "asc not available".
A second note is, I have an engine light on that I believe is for the O2 sensors needing replaced.
Once again if anyone has any ideas/help on this issue I would be very greatful. I bought this car for my wife and it soon started with this issue.
Thanks

Old 09-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Did you do a hard reset after replacing the battery? In theory it should not be necessary, but many have found it helpful to clear up electrical gremlins caused by a dying battery.

The procedure is in the DIY sticky on the main page, but goes like this:
  • Remove the negative cable from the battery,
    touch the positive terminal and hold for 15 seconds
    attach negative terminal to battery.

You will need to reset the windows on a convertible, possibly the radio audio settings (bass, treble, SW range, etc.) and you may get an odd idle for a trip or two (normal).

Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Chances are you have two or more unrelated issues.

I suggest tackle the failsafe mode/engine light first. The light and failsafe message means there is an engine fault. It could be hundreds of different things. The O2 sensor is only one of many possibilities for what is wrong. You should get an OBDII code reader and read the fault codes, then post then codes here for advice.

For the ASC and TRAK faults follw the procedures below:

-Clean your wheel speed sensors first.

-If you still have issues run through the checks outlined here:
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...heet%20XK8.pdf

-If you still have problems repair the solder joints in the ABS module:
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...aul%20Bush.pdf

If you have the faults when you start the car before you move it, then you might want to consider doing the solder joint repair first, as that is the most likely problem.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the same problem after replacing the battery. Put it on a slow trickle charger for at least a couple of day. I would get mine to at least run in the mean time but disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it. This would keep it going while I drove it that time. I did this for 3 or 4 days even after the trickle charging. The battery finally got enough charge to keep the computer happy, and then no more problems!
Keep trying!