Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Steering Column Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Help!! Steering Column Swap

OK!!! The "new" steering column just came in. Maybe I'll have my Reach & Tilt functions back soon.

Maybe.....

After looking it over (and searching the forum), I have some questions for those of you who've done this. It looks as though I can not remove and swap out the ignition lock assembly (just the ignition switch) - which raises some problems.

1. Is it all possible to modify the new column and still use my old key for starting?
***Has anyone had a locksmith work on the ignition lock for this?

2. If I just go with the key that came with the new column, will the car recognize the new key?
***I.e., is the RFID recognition function carried out "in" the column somewhere (or in some computer module elsewhere)?

These are BIG questions, because although I might find a local guy to modify the mechanical lock, the closest guy capable of programming the car for a new key is 2 hours away!

I've read where people say that the best way to deal with a Reach failure is to just replace the column. Now I'm not so sure.

HELP!!!

Last edited by scardini1; 10-18-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by scardini1
After looking it over (and searching the forum), I have some questions for those of you who've done this. It looks as though I can not remove and swap out the ignition lock assembly (just the ignition switch)
Why not? Jaguar sells the ignition switch separately so it must be doable.

You could also use the new column as a parts donor for all required tilt/telescope parts to rebuild your old column.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Plums. Thanks for the response. Yes - the "Switch" (little electronic package at the end of the lock mechanism) is replaceable, but the lock mechanism (has the tumblers that mechanically accept the key cuts) is an integral part of the column itself.

Because I have no idea where the key's RFID data is accepted, the safest course of action would be to somehow modify the lock to use my existing key, swap my current ignition switch into the new column, AND swap the little black collar thing that goes around the key slot (it has some wires coming out of it, so it might be the RFID interogator).

However, I can't find any references to modifying the lock tumblers. Is it even possible for a lock smith to swap out the internals of the ignition lock?

Thanks again - Jim

Old 10-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

I think you've since found out in Brutal's response to your other thread that the "ignition lock barrel" in Jaguar parts speak is indeed easily removable/transferable.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Yeh. You guys are great. I could find nothing in the manual pertaining to this.

Now to nail down the "RFID recognition" concern I wrote of in my reply to Brutal.

Almost there.

Thanks again.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

Hi guys,

I may finally get to this (other priorities, doncha know). I am worried that there may be something wrong with the plate that the wires come out of, and that "seems" to be involved with cancelling the turn signal. Please take a look at this photo and see the "pin" (or such) sticking out from the turn signal mechanism. It doesn't seem to do anything, except impede the movement of that raised trapezoidal thing on the plate.

Is this right? If not, what is it supposed to look like?

Also, is that Plastic Plate supposed to be able to rotate a little? Shouldn't it follow the steering wheel as it goes around? Although the actual steering shaft spins free, that plate seems to be fixed in place by something other than just that turn signal pin thingy.

As usual, all ideas, and especially experiences(!) are welcome.

Thanks - Jim

Old 02-12-2016, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

Disregard my last. I disassembled the turn sign switch a bit and found that it had a broken piece of white plastic in it. And, for the love of me, I still can't get the "disc" to rotate - something inside is jammed. I'm certainly not swapping all those components!

The whole reason for swapping the columns was to restore both tilt and reach functions. So with that in mind, I've removed the drives for both functions from the new column and will just drop my existing column and swap those out.

Thank you all.

Last edited by scardini1; 02-12-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:25 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

I don't know if you are aware that the CENTER white collar NEEDS to be depressed to release the 'clockspring' portion of the cancellation module.

It should LOCK IN PLACE if the collar is NOT depressed by the steering wheel. This is to prevent inadvertent rotation of the clockspring resulting in too tight or too loose of the winding.

bob

The following users liked this post:
scardini1 (02-15-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Bob. I'll check that out. Maybe it's OK. I just finished removing the steering column and swapping out the tilt & reach motors and reinstalling. Trust me - NOT for the faint of heart. I'll write a separate thread devoted to the experience.

The following users liked this post:
Ungn (02-14-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Bob,

That was it. Pushed the white sleeve down and the disc rotated fine. I would also assume that the keys on that sleeve must align with with slots in the steering wheel when installing it. Thankfully I pulled my column without removing the wheel, so I won't have to learn from "that" potential mistake. Good gouge, Bob.

If I can repair the turn signal switch, the rest of the donor column will be good to go.

Thanks, to all.