XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Many X100 Owners Will Be Getting A F-Type When The Prices Depreciate ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by scardini1
Does anyone have word of the proposed GT replacement for the X150?
Never gonna happen...as confirmed by Jaguar.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Nuts. A couple of years ago I read that they "would" in an article that did discuss the F-Type's unsuitability as a GT.
I wonder if they're thinking as did Triumph, when they wouldn't release a convertible GT6 back in the 70s. Instead of trying to tap into another market, they were afraid the new car would hurt TR6 and Spitfire sales.
I think Triumph's fears were more justified than Jaguar's (if this is in fact the case) as many of us would opt for a used X150, a 911 or even a G37 coupe before we'd buy an F-type. In Jaguar's case, adding a GT "would" tap into a different market niche.
Maybe they'll someday consider a stretched F, akin to the 280ZX 2+2 (which was also a great GT), but they'd definitely have to improve cargo space for it to work.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (10-13-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar is a small boutique marquee unlike Mercedes that can afford to make >10 different variants of each model to suit every demographic (e.g., C-Class, C coupe, C AMG, C Cabriolet, 4Matic, Bluetec Diesel,... same for E-Class, S-Class, etc.)

Yes there's a demographic for a 2+2 Jaguar GT but too small to satisfy Jaguar's bottom line. Also the trends now are "compact" & "crossovers", not big sedans & big GT's (on a recent visit to a dealer, I saw many F-Paces and very few XJ's).

Old 10-12-2016, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Normally I'd think an F 2+2 coupe would be a no-brainer, but after thinking about it a bit, you may sadly be right. I've seen a few F-Types on the road, but I can't recall ever seeing a coupe. Plus, the 280ZX was much more affordable than whatever Jaguar would offer, so again I must agree, you're right: that niche just doesn't exist right now. What a shame. I could quite possibly see myself in an F 2+2 ten years from now. Oh well, looks like I'm back to the Ferrari 456 - lol.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by scardini1
you're right: that niche just doesn't exist right now. What a shame.
Not just one niche, but several. I have been wondering what has happened to the 2-door car in general. When I was just starting to drive, seems like most manufacturers made both 2 and 4 door versions of just about every model. Even Jaguar briefly made an XJ12C. There also used to be a whole "personal luxury car" class including El Dorado, Toronado, Riviera, Mark VIII, etc but those died in the 90s. Cadillac tried for just a few short years recently to market the CTS coupe, but that didn't last long. Now there's not very many 2 door cars with a back seat.

I'm really kind of puzzled at the demise of the two-door car. I keep reading all these demographics about how the population is aging, empty nesters, and how the younger generation is waiting till much, much later in life to get married, start families, having smaller families or even choosing to remain single altogether. Anecdotally, look around you on the street or freeway and nine out of ten four-door sedans are being driven alone. Just logically you'd think the demand for two door cars would be a strong as it ever was if not even better.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

Mercedes has 2-door versions of its C, E, and S-Class. But then, MB sells 100x more cars than Jaguar.

1977 XJ6C Coupe

2012 XJ Coupe

Old 10-15-2016, 10:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Sorry on acceleration it sounds great but the pop and burble on decell is terrible. Sounds like a boy toy racer, again apples to oranges compared to a XK8/R. If you like it fine but not for me.
Sounds like my drag bike (but a LOT quieter!)

This may be fun for a Boy Toy, but seriously?

Old 10-15-2016, 06:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it was said best in the recent "gone in 60 seconds" If you were to buy an Ftype you would be " just another cheeky *******" however; if you were to own an X100 you would most certainly be a connoisseur !!

I have driven an F Type. My thoughts ran immediately to what a computerized disaster it will be when out of warranty !

Member Avos sells a supercharger upgrade kit for the X100 which yields around 700 HP which is far ahead of the F Type. Around 6500 for the kit from what I gather.

I think a Novi / Paxton type supercharger may be a better fit from a charge density standpoint but either way still way more power than an F type.

Finally, How do you make an F Type look like a Nissan? Park an X100 next to it !

1999 XJR
2000 XK8 Convertible
2006 XKR Coupe Victory edition

And Loving it !!

Johnken (11-14-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 07:11 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by fredgarvinmp
I think it was said best in the recent "gone in 60 seconds" If you were to buy an Ftype you would be " just another cheeky *******" however; if you were to own an X100 you would most certainly be a connoisseur !!

How do you make an F Type look like a Nissan? Park an X100 next to it !
Well said!

Old 10-18-2016, 12:32 PM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
See what you think of the car when you put a set of clubs in the trunk.
yep, first thing I did when F type was here. No replacement in future for XK8

Old 11-12-2016, 12:30 PM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Well I did it today. Traded in my beautiful 05MY XKR for a new F-Type S AWD, delivery in the New Year.
I have to admit that I agonised for a long time over what to do. In fact if Jaguar had made an XKR with the X100 front the X150 rear and a modern interior then that would have been ideal. I wanted a modern car and although the F is small it suits me fine and it's a great drive (so was my XKR).
So farewell X100, hello X152.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default No F-Type here

Thanks for a great thread and the knowledge I am not alone . . . bewildered, but not alone. For years, I have been appalled at Jaguar's failures to understand and build on their "brand recognition" heritage. The F-Type? Forget price . . . after more than 30 Jaguars across nearly 50yrs, I'm just not interested! The XE looks like it just swallowed something that farted . . . and IMHO, the F-Type fares little better.
Originally Posted by GGG
I'll pass on the F-Type but for now can't see anything else in the Jaguar range to tempt me and that's a sad reflection after more than forty five years of continuous Jaguar ownership.
Graham
Took the words right outa ma mouth! Allow me to demonstrate from an era when the rot first set in. Compare the 2 pics below . . . both from 1978. From the perspective of your XK8/R which appeared some 20yrs later, my question is simple. Which is the Jaguar?

If you said that on the right . . . DAAAAAH!!! WRONG! It should have been! Although now nearly 40yrs ago, PininFarina's XJSpider epitomizes everything that Jaguar heritage had evolved via C, D, E, XJ13 and (eureka) the XK8/R . . . but then abandoned.

Just my 2cents, but I see this frustration spell even more danger for Jaguar into the future, as each of my kids paw over "Ken's Kattery" to divide up the spoils of XJ, XJ-S (Spider to be), S-Type and XK8 . . . they share my disinterest in the plastic and chrome "euro" cookie-cutter cars of recent production.

So, no F-Type here . . . and a falling price won't change that! On the other hand, as to the XJ220 . . . I suspect that, price willing, there would be a great deal more enthusiasm to your question.

Cheers,

Ken

Attached Thumbnails How Many X100 Owners Will Be Getting A F-Type When The Prices Depreciate ?-78-xj-s.jpg   How Many X100 Owners Will Be Getting A F-Type When The Prices Depreciate ?-78-xjspider.jpg  
Marco (07-30-2023)
Old 11-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default No F-Type here

Thanks for a great thread and the knowledge I am not alone . . . bewildered, but not alone. For years, I have been appalled at Jaguar's failures to understand and build on their "brand recognition" heritage. The F-Type? Forget price . . . after more than 30 Jaguars across nearly 50yrs, I'm just not interested! The XE looks like it just swallowed something that farted . . . and IMHO, the F-Type fares little better.
Originally Posted by GGG
I'll pass on the F-Type but for now can't see anything else in the Jaguar range to tempt me and that's a sad reflection after more than forty five years of continuous Jaguar ownership.
Graham
Took the words right outa ma mouth! Allow me to demonstrate from an era when the rot first set in. Compare the 2 pics below . . . both from 1978, an era when Jaguar founder Sir William Lyons had departed, design stylist Malcolm Sayer had died, and the British Leyland "tractor expert" accountants took over. From the perspective of all that LeMans heritage and your XK8/R which appeared some 20yrs later, my question is simple. Which is the Jaguar?

If you said that on the right . . . DAAAAAH!!! WRONG! It should have been! Although now nearly 40yrs ago, PininFarina's XJSpider epitomizes everything that Jaguar heritage had evolved via C, D, E, XJ13 and (eureka) the XK8/R . . . but then abandoned.

Just my 2cents, but I see this frustration spell even more danger for Jaguar into the future, as each of my kids paw over "Ken's Kattery" to divide up the spoils of XJ, XJ-S (Spider to be), S-Type and XK8 . . . they share my disinterest in the plastic and chrome "euro" cookie-cutter cars of recent production.

So, no F-Type here . . . and a falling price won't change that! On the other hand, as to the XJ220 . . . I suspect that, price willing, there would be a great deal more enthusiasm to your question.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 11-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Would I buy an F type as my only car? no but to be honest I wouldn't have any Jaguar as my only car. If the F-Type R prices come down to what I consider a bargain I would definitely ad one to my stable of cars.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

I drove an F-Type Base recently and found it to be cramped and claustrophobic inside (for such a large car) and the minuscule trunk was near-useless. Ride and handling definitely felt more sporty than the XK and XK8 with less body lean, and the steering was tighter. It's neither better nor worse but a matter of personal preference. For me I prefer the softer, more luxurious ride of the earlier cars and would gladly take the body lean and numb steering. And I can fit a set of golf clubs in the back!

Old 11-22-2016, 11:16 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Highly Unlikely. I do like the lines of the XKR-S, but I surely don't need 186mph, or the "crackling" of the "F Type". On occasion I have to drive down to Fort Miley .. 162 miles each way, and can do an appointment down there and get home not feeling all beat up/fatigued in my XK8. Also, I love the real wood dash and other Real Wood interior features .. now being replaced with carbon fiber in the newer models. It's a Class Act, and Thank you Ford, for continuing the legacy.

I also love the "J" gate .. having been raised on a stick shift, and makes driving over the mountain highly interactive fun .. Branscomb Road. My only real complaint is the XK's rather mediocre bolstering .. designed for a "stouter" demographic I'm guessing. I don't own any golf clubs, but the trunk is more than adequate for a couple of "5'ers" of hydraulic oil plus other goodies from TSC, HD, and Wally-World. In my words .. "sweetest ride on the mountain". No wood .. no "J-gate" .. no thanks. jmho Cheers!

Old 06-22-2017, 12:46 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

If you do have the active exhaust, and don't mind it being in noisy mode all the time, pull fuse F43

Old 06-22-2017, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
If you do have the active exhaust, and don't mind it being in noisy mode all the time, pull fuse F43
There's also cheap kits you can buy that give you a remote to basically turn on and off the feature by acting as a breaker on the fuse circuit. I know people who've done this on other cars.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default XF

Not me!

Old 06-22-2017, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

Don't other supercharged Jags also make the burping-crackling noise? Personally I think it's annoying as hell but the young millennials (most owners of F-Type) seem to love it.

Quick Reply: How Many X100 Owners Will Be Getting A F-Type When The Prices Depreciate ?