XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Many X100 Owners Will Be Getting A F-Type When The Prices Depreciate ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 03:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K.Westra
I'm sure the F-type is a great car, but it isn't even as pretty as the x150 (which isn't as pretty as the x100), doesn't have a back seat (yes I use mine), and the only V8 is the supercharged one which probably will still be out of what I would want to spend (and the 6s, as great as they are, just don't do it for me). Plus, at 6'8" I'm not sure how well I would fit (surprisingly I fit in the x100, maybe since I'm all legs)

I'm thinking of going x150 at some point, but x100 still holds my heart. I would go XJL before F-type (which is a completely different direction)
I am 6'4" and I don't fit. I found the build quality a bit lacking too so needless to say, I never got to the test drive.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

The free flow exhaust on my R makes a really neat staccato ripping sound when I put a couple of extra toes in the pedal. I kinda like it, so long as I'm not rattling windows, "and" the car stays nice and quiet when just cruising.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:12 AM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I fell in love with the F-type...at first glance. Then close up, I wasn't impressed. Not that it wasn't a bad roadster with nice tech. It was higher on list than BMW Z4si. BUT it wasn't a (my) Jaguar, it didn't have that class, the styling bits that Jaguar should have. That desire to just run your fingertips on stuff. Then came looking at the x150, and same. It too, was just a nice car with more (now dated) tech. All tech, and no finesse. But the x100, that just seemed the last of the stylish Jaguars, an Aston Martin for the not so rich. Still make you say "Ohhhh". Guess I just don't appreciate the Tata designing. So while my BMW M3, covered the 4 seat and tech car, the x100 was a perfect classy 2+2, and my roadster I went with a Porsche 987 Boxster S. I just don't see a spot for the F-Type, and I don't see it as the successor to the XK-E type as marketed. The X100 is in my eyes.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn I am getting old! A stunning looking car and the ones I have seen look gorgeous. But I do love the style of the older cars, the curves, the wood etc. Now I feel I am more likely to purchase a sovereign LWB saloon to park next to and talk to the XK8 when I am not home. Where did I leave my slippers and zimmer!

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 10:43 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm quite happy to stick with my '06 XK8 coupe and don't lust after the F-Type at all, even though I think Jaguar did it well enough. The next Jag I crave is the XF Sportbrake. I'm very pleased that we are getting it, finally, stateside, with this new generation. The price new is well out of my reach but if it depreciates anything like other Jags, I can hope to pick up one when it's about four or five years old. I think my wife would like it and stop wishing for a Mercedes E-Class wagon. I'd still keep my XK8, of course, and if possible, also keep my Land Rover LR3 (and then maybe she'd even let me get off-road scratches on it). I hope the Sportbrake sells well, so that finding a used one won't be as hard as it was to find a '03-onward XK8 coupe.

Granville

Old 07-10-2017, 02:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Isn't it kind of funny that the massive depreciation we know is on the horizon for the new Jaguar buyer is the salvation of the average hobbyist? Obviously those that can, or choose to afford, a new model get to make the decisions that guide the fate of the company. I didn't like the newest XJ at all at first. I still don't think it is as beautiful as my X300, but it's starting to grow on me. I didn't prefer the XK over the XK8 either, but time will tell. The passage of time will bring all those cars into my grasp. I saw a F Type today in traffic and it's dramatic looking car. I personally don't care for all the noise, rough ride, and wouldn't want a cramped cabin with little room for luggage. The fact that the car isn't very practical doesn't really make much difference, I rode motorcycles daily for over thirty five years and those aren't practical either. I've got a truck for when I need it. I had a Datsun 280Z 2+2 when my kids were little and I could use it everyday to take the kids to school, etc. Later I had an '07 Mustang that we used as a family car quite successfully, along with a minivan. I prefer a car around that Mustang size, with a usable back seat and trunk, just a bit bigger than an X100. I wish that there was a current XJ coupe, that would be my choice.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

Soul-less car. It has the feel of an MX5 to me, though it will be faster, granted. I wouldn't go for an X150, either: as they age, they will look out of date, and if past be prologue the satnav will become immediately un-upgradeable on current models.

The car with sheer beauty is the X100 - to my eyes it is more beautiful than the E-type (XKE), though I would kill to own an XK120, even if it turned out to be a pig to drive, which is quite likely. An important feature of the X100 is its future-proofing. It has sufficient mechanical ability - roadholding, acceleration, braking - to keep it ahead of most cars for years to come. Added to this is that wood and leather. It is already out of date but, unlike the more modern variants which will become more and more dated, that very retro style is what will make it steadily more desirable.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I agree with Diddion. There is just something almost intangible about the basic overall look and package of the XK8 that none of the others have. I don't really notice it when looking at my car in the usual context every day (getting into it in my garage or at the end of the day at work) but there are times when I can really see the class and beauty that make this car outstanding.

This happened the other day when I had valet'd the car at a restaurant and my wife and I were waiting for the guy to bring it up. I was sort of daydreaming and not thinking about the car but when the guy drove it up I thought "what a stunning vehicle" before remembering it was mine. Not bad for a design that is now 20 years old.

Doug

Old 07-10-2017, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

I've seen a couple of F-Types and I really can't say they're for me. There's no doubt they're better sports cars, but my days of driving a "sports car" are behind me. Now I want a really nice GT that makes me smile when I see it in the parking lot. Few cars fill that bill like my Coupe. And as we've all said, "she's gorgeous". When the time comes, I will consider an X150 coupe though. They're not nearly as sensuous as the 100s, but if Kitty hits 300,000 miles, I think her time will be done. It seems the depreciation on our cars has leveled off (how much lower could it have gone?!) and medium mileage 150s are dropping into the teens. I do like the hatch back too, even though the rear seats are more useless than ours. Might be nice to have a Nav System that won't drive me into the newly filled lake either - lol.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Nothing better looking than my 2000 XK8.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:12 PM
Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

I almost bought an F-type, love the super charged and the quick convertible drop. The main deal stopper is the trunk/boot. I even looked into installing and old school luggage rack but it was a no go. If the can figure out a better trunk, I will get one.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:32 PM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts

After reading all of the posts. It got me thinking not to buy the F-Type. I thought next year I'd get one. But, the interior is what really turned me off. I think I would miss my XK8 too much. It has so much class and history. I do love my XK8.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile Jaguar XKR Coupe - Ebony/Ivory

Never say Never! But after driving a Coupe for the last 19 years...Not the same one of course but I still feel the same way about the XK and XKR Coupes, as I did that day in London in 1998 when I saw my first 1998 XK Coupe in British Racing Green no less, driving down the wrong side of the street.......The most beautiful Car I've ever seen!! When I came back to Houston from that trip, the first thing I did was trade in the Mark VIII for a Topaz XK Coupe....and then the 2000 XKR Coupe....and then the 2003 XKR Coupe and now the 2005 XKR Coupe.....Still driving it and it will be my last Car! Unless, someone does to it what the lady did to the 2003.......But my plan is to continue driving the 2005 until I check-out!!!! Why not? After all it's the most beautiful Car in the World! To answer your question: NO!

Billy Clyde in Houston

michaelh (06-04-2022)
Old 07-16-2017, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, Billy-Clyde. You should try telling us how you really feel. - lol.

Most of us are right there with you. Kitty is actually in surgery as we speak to stop some corrosion before it gets worse. I want her around for a long time too.

michaelh (06-04-2022)
Old 07-18-2017, 10:43 AM
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

I on the other hand, would keep my 05 XK8 till the engine blew up and maybe did a LS engine and Tremec t56 6 speed manual transplant...then I would hunt down a Xj6C and also a Super V8 Portfolio hehehe....I am only 39 but I may have an old soul because I do feel new cars have no soul...they're just money maker for the manufacturer

Old 07-22-2017, 02:44 AM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Changed my mind. I'm so down with the F-Type now. Demi Lovato's tweet yesterday with her brand new one just did me in big time!

Old 07-22-2017, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

When it comes to sexy women affecting our opinions, we might as well just have rings in our noses to be led by. ;-)

Old 07-22-2017, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by scardini1
...........rings in our noses.......... ;-)

Noses?

Old 07-22-2017, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

I.e., "Led" by our noses. Our IQs drop precipitously in the presence of gorgeous women - lol.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by scardini1
I.e., "Led" by our noses. Our IQs drop precipitously in the presence of gorgeous women - lol.
No, what I mean, is I think we are actually led by a rather different part of our anatomy!

Quick Reply: How Many X100 Owners Will Be Getting A F-Type When The Prices Depreciate ?